Tendering when you are elite

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 07:58 AM.
Greenville, SC, USA
52,126 Posts
Joined Apr 2000
The are usually pretty strict enforcing the rule against bring a friend, especially if there are a large number of Elites.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Paul
Arizona
3,099 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
Yes but you can't use your priority, you tender with the non-Elites.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Emerald Princess - B2B Norway and Grand Mediterranean - 2016
Ocean Princess Final Voyage - Grand South America 2016; Golden Princess - Mexican Riviera - 2015
Royal Princess - Eastern Caribbean - 2014; Ruby Princess - Canada and Colonial America - 2014;
Ocean Princess - Singapore to Dover around Africa - 2014; Dawn Princess - Australia, Indonesia and New Zealand - 2013
Sapphire Princess - Los Angeles, Hawaii, Samoa, Tahiti, Los Angeles - 2012; Golden Princess - RT from Seattle to Alaska - 2012
Diamond Princess - Singapore to YVR 2012; Emerald Princess - Caribbean 2010-2011
Coral Princess - FLL - YVR plus Alaska RT 2010; Star Princess - South America and Antarctica 2009
Costa Classica - Genoa to Venice 2008; Costa Fortuna - Caribbean 2008
Costa Atlantica - Eastern Med 2006; Norwegian Dream - Baltic 2004
Norwegian Dream - Miami to Rome 2003; Norwegian Wind - HNL to YVR 2002
Norwegian Wind - Caribbean 2001; Celebrity Zenith - Caribbean 1996
Norwegian Windward (now the Wind) - So Cal Coastal 1993; Carnival Jubilee - Mexican Riviera
Carnival Festivale - Eastern Caribbean 1988
Raleigh, N.C.
11,922 Posts
Joined Jul 2002
I was amazed last month on the Caribbean Princess that there were no long lines for tenders in the two tender ports--St. Peter Port (Guernsey) and South Queensferry. Being Elite did not help us much--just getting us to the front of the line leaving the dining room instead of the back of the line.
Midwest
137 Posts
Joined May 2017
Originally posted by geoherb
I was amazed last month on the Caribbean Princess that there were no long lines for tenders in the two tender ports--St. Peter Port (Guernsey) and South Queensferry. Being Elite did not help us much--just getting us to the front of the line leaving the dining room instead of the back of the line.
Hope that holds true next year in June.

Where are you from in NC? Son lives just outside of Asheville.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Oakville, ON
1,658 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
Originally posted by Shelly97060
our experience has been that they have limited the perk to the Elite card holder.
But they wouldn't split a couple of cabin-mates up where only one is Elite as I understand it.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming:
Island Princess - 60-day Grand South America, Jan 24/18.... & .... still one FCD left.
COLORADO
59,416 Posts
Joined Jan 2004
Originally posted by vacation cruiser
When you are elite and need to tender can we take one other couple along with us for priority tendering?

No.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Keith
Princess Elite Member
57 Princess Cruises

USNS HARKNESS T-AGS 32

Auburn, CA
3,024 Posts
Joined Feb 2006
Our experience has been that each elite passenger can bring one guest.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Party Barbie Princess Elite Member

Upcoming Cruises
Grand 10/5/17 10-Day Mexico, Sun 1/26/18 4-Day New Zealand/Australia, Diamond 2/6/18 12-Day Australia/New Zealand, Grand 9/23/18 7-Day Coastal, Grand 9/30/18 7-Day Coastal, Royal 4/27/19 7-Day Mexico, Royal 5/4/19 7-Day Wine Country Coastal
Completed Cruises
Princess: Fair 5/90, Fair 11/92, Golden 11/93, Fair 11/94, Pacific 2/95, Regal 4/96, Star 11/96, Regal 4/99, Regal 4/00, Sea 9/00, Sun 5/01, Grand 3/02, Grand 3/03, Diamond 4/04, Star 12/04, Grand 12/05, Regal 5/06, Island 4/07, Dawn 11/07, Caribbean 1/08, Emerald 3/09, Island 5/09, Royal 4/10, Sea 9/10, Sapphire 1/11, Sapphire 5/11, Star 4/12, Crown 11/12, Star 4/13, Star 9/13, Pacific 11/13, Island 3/14, Star 6/14, Island 9/14, Island 11/14, Star 3/15, Emerald 10/15, Grand 11/15, Grand 1/16, Ruby 4/16, Ruby 9/16, Island 11/16, Grand 1/17, Grand 5/17
Celebrity: Galaxy 2/98, Mercury 3/98
RCCL: Nordic Prince 9/84 & 4/91, Viking Serenade 3/94
American Hawaii: Independence 9/89
COLORADO
59,416 Posts
Joined Jan 2004
Originally posted by steelers36
But they wouldn't split a couple of cabin-mates up where only one is Elite as I understand it.

I agree in cabin non Elite passenger only.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Keith
Princess Elite Member
57 Princess Cruises

USNS HARKNESS T-AGS 32

Oakville, ON
1,658 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
Originally posted by partybarbie
Our experience has been that each elite passenger can bring one guest.
May I cruise with you? (I guess not, we will be on opposite sides of the planet this winter).

I am more concerned about getting off at a tender port when I have a better, private excursion and I know and realize that Princess prioritizes their own tours first.
I am not sure what to expect. I guess show up early and get a number.

Have fun "down under" this winter.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming:
Island Princess - 60-day Grand South America, Jan 24/18.... & .... still one FCD left.
Auburn, CA
3,024 Posts
Joined Feb 2006
Originally posted by steelers36
May I cruise with you? (I guess not, we will be on opposite sides of the planet this winter).

I am more concerned about getting off at a tender port when I have a better, private excursion and I know and realize that Princess prioritizes their own tours first.
I am not sure what to expect. I guess show up early and get a number.

Have fun "down under" this winter.
Lol, I can't wait for Australia, but you are doing my other "bucket list" cruise on the Island. Hopefully we will make it to South America in about five years.

If you are trying to get off the ship for an early tour, I would suggest showing up as soon as possible for a tender ticket. It seems that the most crowded times are just after breakfast. At least getting off the Island isn't as bad as trying to get off one of the larger ships.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Party Barbie Princess Elite Member

Upcoming Cruises
Grand 10/5/17 10-Day Mexico, Sun 1/26/18 4-Day New Zealand/Australia, Diamond 2/6/18 12-Day Australia/New Zealand, Grand 9/23/18 7-Day Coastal, Grand 9/30/18 7-Day Coastal, Royal 4/27/19 7-Day Mexico, Royal 5/4/19 7-Day Wine Country Coastal
Completed Cruises
Princess: Fair 5/90, Fair 11/92, Golden 11/93, Fair 11/94, Pacific 2/95, Regal 4/96, Star 11/96, Regal 4/99, Regal 4/00, Sea 9/00, Sun 5/01, Grand 3/02, Grand 3/03, Diamond 4/04, Star 12/04, Grand 12/05, Regal 5/06, Island 4/07, Dawn 11/07, Caribbean 1/08, Emerald 3/09, Island 5/09, Royal 4/10, Sea 9/10, Sapphire 1/11, Sapphire 5/11, Star 4/12, Crown 11/12, Star 4/13, Star 9/13, Pacific 11/13, Island 3/14, Star 6/14, Island 9/14, Island 11/14, Star 3/15, Emerald 10/15, Grand 11/15, Grand 1/16, Ruby 4/16, Ruby 9/16, Island 11/16, Grand 1/17, Grand 5/17
Celebrity: Galaxy 2/98, Mercury 3/98
RCCL: Nordic Prince 9/84 & 4/91, Viking Serenade 3/94
American Hawaii: Independence 9/89
Raleigh, N.C.
11,922 Posts
Joined Jul 2002
Originally posted by smm0218
Hope that holds true next year in June.

Where are you from in NC? Son lives just outside of Asheville.
We're in Raleigh. I think one of the reasons there wasn't a line in Guernsey was that the ship arrived so early: 6 a.m. We made it to the dining room used for tender tickets at 7:15. We were directed to go to an area near the other door and then they announced that everyone in the room could head down to the tender.
Midwest
137 Posts
Joined May 2017
Originally posted by geoherb
We're in Raleigh. I think one of the reasons there wasn't a line in Guernsey was that the ship arrived so early: 6 a.m. We made it to the dining room used for tender tickets at 7:15. We were directed to go to an area near the other door and then they announced that everyone in the room could head down to the tender.
Thanks. Have added that to my notes for Guernsey. We are early risers so we might as well take advantage of that. Hopefully that will hold true for Edinburgh.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
southern california
318 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
I am Elite and do not get to the tender line until it is clear. As I am a total wimp, I am intimidated by all of the dirty looks and nasty comments of the other passengers as I jump the line!
Toronto
1,521 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
Not sure what you mean by "jumping the line". Elite passengers just go down to the tender area and join the back of any line that is there. People in the line will either have ticket #s that have been called or elite cards. The only people you are bypassing are those up in the lounge waiting for their # to be called and they never see you.

If you do get to the tender area and try to go to the front of the line, you are cutting in front of other elites and those that deserve to be there and would deserve any comments that come your way.
southern california
318 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
Originally posted by Waynetor
Not sure what you mean by "jumping the line". Elite passengers just go down to the tender area and join the back of any line that is there. People in the line will either have ticket #s that have been called or elite cards. The only people you are bypassing are those up in the lounge waiting for their # to be called and they never see you.

If you do get to the tender area and try to go to the front of the line, you are cutting in front of other elites and those that deserve to be there and would deserve any comments that come your way.
My experience is based on the tender line to return to the ship in Princess Cays. There is not a designated Elite line, so my experience was being told to go to the front of the line. Another situation I saw, as you say, I was on the stairs to go down to the tenders and a younger woman went past everyone on the stairs declaring she was Elite so therefore could go straight to the front. I also saw a crew member instructing her to do just that.
COLORADO
59,416 Posts
Joined Jan 2004
Originally posted by 1emerald1
My experience is based on the tender line to return to the ship in Princess Cays. There is not a designated Elite line, so my experience was being told to go to the front of the line. Another situation I saw, as you say, I was on the stairs to go down to the tenders and a younger woman went past everyone on the stairs declaring she was Elite so therefore could go straight to the front. I also saw a crew member instructing her to do just that.

There is no JUMPING the line to get on a tender from the ship, just join the back of the current line as stated in the above post.
There is NO Elite priority returning to the ship in ANY tender port.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Keith
Princess Elite Member
57 Princess Cruises

USNS HARKNESS T-AGS 32

Oakville, ON
1,658 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
Doesn't make sense as that person could be passing several other Elites waiting to board.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming:
sw, Fl - Fort Myers Area
5,403 Posts
Joined Nov 2015
If the crew member said it was OK, then it's OK.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
s600/781/67/85
15 - 25 - 30