Princess LTE fee is a rip off

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 02:32 PM.
Chico, California
9,327 Posts
Joined Sep 2012
Originally posted by -Lew-
Not really... With Airplane mode on and Wi-Fi off, an iPhone does not allow cellular calls, texts, and email to reach the phone. With Airplane mode and Wi-Fi on, iMessage texts and email will function...also communication apps such as WhatsApp work.
Ummmm.... That isn't what people are suggesting. It isn't even what you said people are recommending. Turning on Airplane Mode and then enabling WiFi is exactly the same as disabling data - which is what I said.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Thrak

Not Elite but having fun working on it...

Chico, California
9,327 Posts
Joined Sep 2012
There are a number of apps that allow calling and texting over Wi-Fi. We have never waited for a call while onboard, but outgoing calls work well. Best use of these apps is over Wi-Fi while in port.
I don't even use an app. I got into my phone settings and enable Advanced Calling Features. That allows me to make calls using WiFi. I did this in Canada recently where there is no Verizon service. I called a couple of airlines and had fairly long (and unproductive) calls using WiFi. No charges incurred and no app needed.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Thrak

COLORADO
59,492 Posts
Joined Jan 2004
Originally posted by sachielles
It's what princess charged the phone company for using their tower. So this was a Princess surcharged through the phone company.

Which you did not bother to research before your cruise.

Princess does NOT partner with AT&T.

It's listed right on the AT&T website.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Keith
Princess Elite Member
57 Princess Cruises

USNS HARKNESS T-AGS 32

Whidbey Island, WA
828 Posts
Joined Jun 2011
There are a number of apps that allow calling and texting over Wi-Fi. We have never waited for a call while onboard, but outgoing calls work well. Best use of these apps is over Wi-Fi while in port.
Ah - gotcha. VoIP apps.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Sailed!
USS Midway - '72-73 - Subic Bay Philippines (x9), Hong Kong, Singapore, Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club
USS Ranger - '76 - Subic Bay Philippines (x3), Singapore, Perth Australia (Shellback)

USS Independence - '80 - South Atlantic, Cape of Good Hope, Mauritius, Indian Ocean, Gulf of Oman,(123 continuous sea days), Suez Canal, Mediterranean Sea, Straits of Gibraltar

USS Independence - '81 - Straits of Gibraltar - Mediterranean Sea, Naples Italy (x2), Straits of Gibraltar

Ruby Princess - Eastern Caribbean 3/25/12 - Silver Anniversary Cruise
Ruby Princess - Eastern Caribbean 2/3/13 - Gayle's Birthday Cruise
Norewgian Pearl - Alaska 6/16/13 - 4 Generation Family Cruise
Golden Princess - West Coast Getaway 9/30/13

UPCOMING:
Star Princess - Hawaii 9/23/17
COLORADO
59,492 Posts
Joined Jan 2004
Originally posted by Woobstr112G

I'm an early riser. On sea days, I head down to the Piazza for a cup of coffee and some CC posting. I usually head down between 0600 and 0700. 99.9% of the time the signal is great and internet works well for the most part.....

Bob

I agree!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Keith
Princess Elite Member
57 Princess Cruises

USNS HARKNESS T-AGS 32

COLORADO
59,492 Posts
Joined Jan 2004
Originally posted by antsp
I refuse to comment on this thread
Originally posted by antsp
Easy solution for this would be to set your phone to manual network selection, this way your phone will not switch from your own network. No need for airplane mode at all.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Keith
Princess Elite Member
57 Princess Cruises

USNS HARKNESS T-AGS 32

UK
2,207 Posts
Joined Aug 2004
Originally posted by Colo Cruiser
I guess you've had a sense of humour bypass living in beautiful Colorado, is it the altitude or cannabis.
4,338 Posts
Joined Oct 2008
Originally posted by WVBill
If your phone is on airplane mode you won't get any telephone calls or texts.
Originally posted by JF - retired RRT
Nope. I get phone calls and texts all the time. Just can't access the internet.
I am curious how you received phone calls and texts when your phone is on airplane mode. Airplane mode turns off the cell service. You must have an amazing phone . WVBill and I have never heard of such a phone in airplane mode that receives phone calls. That is why airlines require phones to be in airplane (duh!) mode during a flight so that it prevents phones from sending or receiving texts or phone calls or trying to access cell towers.
5,312 Posts
Joined Feb 2013
Originally posted by Thrak
Both accomplish the same thing and the former is easier for many technologically challenged people to understand. Telling them to turn of data boggles them. Telling them to turn on Airplane Mode and then turn on WiFi is something that seems to be easier for many folks to handle. The result is the same either way and there is no hassle telling iPhone folks how to turn of data and then having to tell various Android users how to turn of data.
Well, OK, but why would taking two steps, ie, turn on airplane mode and then turn on WiFi, be easier to explain than just "turn off data"? Is this an iPhone thing? One wonders if the iPhone users have more trouble on cruise ships than Android users?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
rktctysooner at gmail dot com
Chico, California
9,327 Posts
Joined Sep 2012
Originally posted by RocketMan275
Well, OK, but why would taking two steps, ie, turn on airplane mode and then turn on WiFi, be easier to explain than just "turn off data"? Is this an iPhone thing? One wonders if the iPhone users have more trouble on cruise ships than Android users?
I don't know why but it seems to be true. Having worked in IT for many years I was always boggled that many people can do things one way but an alternate method turns their brains off and they "can't do that". Over the years I found it was usually easier to tell people the methods of doing things that seemed to be easiest for "most people" to grasp. The fact that it makes little sense to me doesn't alter the fact that people seem to work that way.

I just turn data off. It's quick and easy. I've just found that the two step process, while more cumbersome, seems to be better "understood" or at least easier for many to follow. You would be amazed at the mental roadblocks people set up for themselves when it comes to understanding technology. Heck, I can't even get people to understand that their wallpaper is not a screensaver.

As for being an "iPhone thing"... Apple makes me crazy. They give people one way to do stuff. Their way is the only way. GAH! No thanks. I don't like training wheels. Give me something I can tweak and play with and allows me to do things the way I want rather than the one and only way offered by Apple products.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Thrak

Maryland
10,310 Posts
Joined Mar 2003
Originally posted by sachielles
I have an iPhone and this also happened in Europe.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Princess turns off their cellular when in port, they have to. They can't leave it on or the local population would accidentally roam on their tower. It would also be illegal for them to keep it on. You must have had it on at sea. Your error. I was in Europe last week on Princess and had the AT&T $10 plan. I got a text from AT&T every time it was activated when I turned my iPhone off of Airplane mode in port.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Charles
SF Bay Area
2,527 Posts
Joined Oct 2010
Originally posted by myfuzzy

Also, I live a few miles from the Canadian border. When I drive to a certain area, I have to put my phone into airplane mode, because it seems that the closest tower is in Canada, even though I am driving in the US. If I don't watch I could end up having international and roaming charges if I were to receive a call.
It sometimes works both ways. We are U.S. citizens but at one time we also had a home in BC. We used our US cell phone in BC to contact people back home with no roaming charges. Apparently the service we were using had a stronger signal than the local one everyone else in our area of BC were using. When calling locally, we just used our local land line. Saved us a lot of money.
Burlington, VT
6,906 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
Ummmm.... That isn't what people are suggesting. It isn't even what you said people are recommending. Turning on Airplane Mode and then enabling WiFi is exactly the same as disabling data - which is what I said.
You're correct, I phrased that sentence incorrectly. It should have been written, With Airplane Mode on and Wi-Fi active.

I see your carrier is Verizon; I'm on AT&T. On its support site Apple states settings can be different for various carriers. The settings I outlined work for me and your settings work for you. Let's just leave it at that...
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

XXRoll Calls - 2017: Royal - October 11, 2017Royal - October 21, 2015
XXRoll Calls - 2018: Royal - Jan 19, 2018Royal - Jan 29, 2018Royal - Feb 8, 2018Regal - Sep 8, 2018
XXRoll Calls - 2019: Reflection - January 18, 2019 Reflection - January 28, 2019 Golden - Apr 16, 2019
5,312 Posts
Joined Feb 2013
I don't know why but it seems to be true. Having worked in IT for many years I was always boggled that many people can do things one way but an alternate method turns their brains off and they "can't do that". Over the years I found it was usually easier to tell people the methods of doing things that seemed to be easiest for "most people" to grasp. The fact that it makes little sense to me doesn't alter the fact that people seem to work that way.

I just turn data off. It's quick and easy. I've just found that the two step process, while more cumbersome, seems to be better "understood" or at least easier for many to follow. You would be amazed at the mental roadblocks people set up for themselves when it comes to understanding technology. Heck, I can't even get people to understand that their wallpaper is not a screensaver.

As for being an "iPhone thing"... Apple makes me crazy. They give people one way to do stuff. Their way is the only way. GAH! No thanks. I don't like training wheels. Give me something I can tweak and play with and allows me to do things the way I want rather than the one and only way offered by Apple products.
It just seems intuitive to me that the best way to avoid huge charges for data is to "turn data off". But, then, I know what hollerith cards were used for. I never understood the attraction to the over-priced apple products either.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
rktctysooner at gmail dot com
melbourne
50 Posts
Joined Feb 2016
Remember the good old days, cell phones just made phone calls...... and computers were the only way to connect to the internet..... and beside it is a holiday.....

Me a have a basic cell phone ( no camera ) which I use only for phone calls....

time for another G&T after reading all this Don
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
why didn't we go cruising before ???
California
5,324 Posts
Joined Jan 2012
No it isn't. Disabling Data disables just cellular data, but still leaves wifi, Bluetooth, cellular telephone and SMS active. Turning on Airplane Mode disables all of those those plus cellular data.

So turning on Airplane Mode then enabling wifi is NOT the same as disabling data.
Edmonton, Canada
447 Posts
Joined Dec 2013
Originally posted by frugaltravel
I am curious how you received phone calls and texts when your phone is on airplane mode. Airplane mode turns off the cell service. You must have an amazing phone . WVBill and I have never heard of such a phone in airplane mode that receives phone calls. That is why airlines require phones to be in airplane (duh!) mode during a flight so that it prevents phones from sending or receiving texts or phone calls or trying to access cell towers.
Phone in airplane mode "ON", wifi mode "on"

apple phones allow txt messages between iphones through servers. you can also make voice and video calls via an app like whatsapp, or Skype. Use it on flights all the time

on WestJet it is WestJet connect https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/about-...estjet-connect
on Air Canada its Gogo Wifi https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...ard/wi-fi.html
Vancouver, BC
17,685 Posts
Joined Feb 2002
Originally posted by triptolemus
No it isn't. Disabling Data disables just cellular data, but still leaves wifi, Bluetooth, cellular telephone and SMS active. Turning on Airplane Mode disables all of those those plus cellular data.

So turning on Airplane Mode then enabling wifi is NOT the same as disabling data.
You can use Wifi & Bluetooth in airplane mode. It does automatically turn them off, but you can slide them back on and stay in airplane mode
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Coming next
September 2017..Solstice Vancouver to Hawaii
November 2017...Queensland Land Trip
April 2018...Kauai Land Trip
September 2018...Santorini & Crete land trip

Crete Land Trip 2017/Australia Land Trip - Celebrity Constellation - Greek Isles 2016/Hawaii Land Trip 2015/Christmas and New Years in Hawaii/European Christmas Markets - Land Trip/Hawaii - VCR Celebrity Solstice 2014/Paris Land Trip/Hawaii Land Trip X 2 - 2013/Grand Med. - Ruby Princess/South of France 2012/Hawaii - Land Trip 2012/Hawaii - Land Trip - 2011/Panama Canal and Florida Keys - Coral Princess - 2011/Eastern Caribbean - Ruby Princess - 2010/France 3 Week Land Trip - Burgundy/Loire/Normandy/French Riviera/Provence 2010/Mexican Riviera - Sapphire Princess 2009/Coastal - Sapphire Princess 2009/Alaska - Voyage of the Glaciers - Zuiderdam - 2009/Greek Islands cruise + Monaco and Paris by land - Grand Princess - 2008/Land Trip - Maui - 2008/3 Week Land - Paris to Rome - 2007/Hawaii - Pride of America - 2007/14 Day Caribbean - Sea Princess - 2006/Coastal - Dawn Princess - 2006/Barcelona to Venice - Millennium - 2005/UK & Ireland - Land Trip - 2004/AI Mexican Riviera -2003/Coastal - Island Princess - 2002/Maui - Land Trip x 2/Alaska - Dawn Princess - 2001/UK Land Trip x 3/11 Day Circle the Caribbean - Splendour of the Seas - 2000/Mexican Riviera - Rhapsody of the Seas - 1999/2 Week Land Bermuda - Girls Trip - 1997/Married - Maui - 1997
California
5,324 Posts
Joined Jan 2012
Originally posted by Cruise Junky
You can use Wifi & Bluetooth in airplane mode. It does automatically turn them off, but you can slide them back on and stay in airplane mode
I realize that.
Burlington, VT
6,906 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
Originally posted by triptolemus

Thank you...
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

XXRoll Calls - 2017: Royal - October 11, 2017Royal - October 21, 2015
XXRoll Calls - 2018: Royal - Jan 19, 2018Royal - Jan 29, 2018Royal - Feb 8, 2018Regal - Sep 8, 2018
XXRoll Calls - 2019: Reflection - January 18, 2019 Reflection - January 28, 2019 Golden - Apr 16, 2019