Led lights on balcony

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 02:30 PM.
571 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
Originally posted by Wishing on a star
Seriously folks... live and let live. I can not imagine that being such a huge issue.

For the life of me, I can not imagine stressing myself out because of something like this on somebody else's balcony, or what somebody else chooses to wear, etc... I don't like to manufacture stress for myself.
So are you OK if people bring a portable speaker out on their balcony and play music so everyone else around them can hear it. The reality is that people sometimes on Princess cruises do things on their balcony that can impact others not in a positive way.
USA
4,262 Posts
Joined Jun 2007
Have taken two December cruises and decorated our cabin with strings of lights, window clings on the inside of the balcony door and a small lighted Christmas tree both times. On the last one, we strung the lights across the balcony door but on the inside. Our cabin looked very festive and Stewart loved it. When we disembarked, we told him that he could have the lights if he wanted them; he was so excited and said that they could use them at the crew Christmas party.

I wouldn't put lights outside on the balcony, but have no problem with inside the cabin.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Life's Milestones are Best Celebrated in Nautical Miles.

Oceania Insignia 1-2019 (World Cruise)
Emerald Princess 5-2018 (Pacific Coastal)
Oceania Insignia 12-2017 (Cuba)
Regal Princess 11-2017 (Western Caribbean)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Caribbean Princess 3-2017 (Southern Caribbean)
Celebrity Silhouette 8-2016 (British Isles, Guernsey, Belgium, Amsterdam)
Grand Princess 11-2015 (Hawaii)

Celebrity Infinity 10-2014 (TA - England, Azores, Bermuda, Bahamas)
Celebrity Reflection 3-2014 (Eastern Caribbean)
Crown Princess 7-2013 (Baltics/Russia)
Emerald Princess 3-2012 (Eastern Caribbean)
Caribbean Princess 6-2011 (Canada/New England)
Crown Princess 9-2010 (TA - British Isles, Iceland, Greenland, Canada)
Coral Princess 12-2008 (Full Panama Canal, Central America, Mexico)
Sun Princess 9-2007 (Alaska)
Carnival Paradise 9-2003 (Western Caribbean)
Carnival Fantasy 1-1990 (Bahamas)
Carnival Holiday 12-1989 (Western Caribbean)

San Antonio spaceship earth
7,141 Posts
Joined Nov 2006
Originally posted by Shmoo here
Does Princess allow things (lights, towels, hammocks) to be hung on the balconies?
Princess prohibits towels, clothes, swim suits being hung on the balcony. Hammocks are likewise prohibited. The problem is that they fly off in the wind (remember the ship is moving forward at 18 - 22 knots or 21 to 26 MPH). So do pax do this anyway - well yes.

Why people are attracted to light like moths is a good question. Try going somewhere in total darkness and see the stars, milky way etc.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

RCCL: Rhapsody, 2003; Voyageur, 2008, 2009; Adventure, 2008; Navigator 2013; Mariner 2010, 2011
Holland America: Veendam, 2006
Princess: Grand 2005, 2006; Ruby 2010, 2017; Island 2011, 2013; Emerald 2012, 2015, 2018, 2019; Golden 2012, 2014, 2015; Crown 2013, 2017; Caribbean 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018; Royal 2014; Star 2014; Regal 2016
Carnival: Elation 2005; Magic 2012, 2015; Breeze 2017, 2018; Vista 2019

castigat ridendo mores
Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts - Mark Twain
los angeles
241 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
the battery powered lights are probably fairy lights and not bright enough to bother anyone else. i'm bringing some myself, but they go with one of my outfits.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Texas
10,953 Posts
Joined Jul 2006
Originally posted by Colo Cruiser

I know I hate it when the next door neighbor leaves their outside balcony light on 24/7.

Many times they don't even realize it's on as the switch is behind the balcony door curtains.
Exactly
Tampa, Florida area
12,055 Posts
Joined Nov 2005
IF the LED light string is NOT bright enough to create enough glow to impact the nighttime darkness on balconies on each side of OPs balcony, I guess it might be OK, although I would prefer that they did not do it if they were in the cabin next to mine.

I'm another person who hates it when someone in an abutting cabin leaves the light on all night on their balcony. I like to leave a small gap in the drapes overnight so the light from sunrise can shine into the cabin in the morning. If a neighboring balcony light is left on, the light DOES wash over the divider and onto my balcony and makes it harder to get to sleep.
South of Pittsburgh Pa.
2,491 Posts
Joined Jun 2006
I feel that if they aren't very bright and you get enjoyment out of them then go ahead and bring them. We have been through the Panama Canal three times and each time we have hung our STEELER flag over our balcony. My DH securely had it tied down with no problem and never once were we asked to remove it. We will do the same on our upcoming cruise.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Sovereign of the Seas... .August 1991...'Sovereign of the Seas...July 1993
Sovereign of the Seas ... September 1995 ... Celebrity Century... September1998...
Celebrity Century... September 2000 ....Carnival Destiny...September 2001.....
Carnival Valor.... August 2006
Caribbean Princess.... September 2 2007....Crown Princess.. October 5 2008
Crown Princess... November 7 2009....Diamond Princess.... May 15 2010
Emerald Princess.... September 29 2010....Sapphire Princess....April 30 2011
Coral Princess....April 24 2012....Carnival Freedom ....August 2013 ....
Coral Princess.... May 2014......Golden Princess ...August 20 2015.....
Coral Princess .April 7 2017
Bodega Bay, CA
313 Posts
Joined Oct 2005
Outside lights can and do impact other passengers. While some do not care, other do care. If a lighted string of lights were on the rail to the cabin adjacent to mine - it would adversely impact my view as I stood along my balcony rail. Given that the act might be offensive to other passenger AND it is in violation of ship policy - it is not courteous or technically allowed.
Texas
1,564 Posts
Joined Aug 2011
I wish those passengers who take strings of lights with them on cruises would share their luggage packing secrets. We only take one large bag and one carry-on each on cruises and there is no room in any of them for something like decorations for the balcony or cabin.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
USS Greenling SSN614
Atlantic Ocean/Barents Sea
los angeles
241 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
the fairy lights i'm thinking of fit in the palm of your hand and weight almost nothing. the come in a box about the size of a ticktack container
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....L._SL1500_.jpg

these are not like your normal christmas lights. i've used them in my ugly christmas sweater contest, i poke the wires through my sweater so it lights up. i have also used them for ragnar relay races to decorate the van. the wires are super thing and easy to tape down wiht painters tape to the van.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

sw, Fl - Fort Myers Area
5,438 Posts
Joined Nov 2015
Originally posted by satxdiver
Princess prohibits towels, clothes, swim suits being hung on the balcony. Hammocks are likewise prohibited. The problem is that they fly off in the wind (remember the ship is moving forward at 18 - 22 knots or 21 to 26 MPH). So do pax do this anyway - well yes.

Why people are attracted to light like moths is a good question. Try going somewhere in total darkness and see the stars, milky way etc.
I believe Princess does allow items to be hung on the balcony as long as your there.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
s600/781/67/85
15 - 25 - 30
sw, Fl - Fort Myers Area
5,438 Posts
Joined Nov 2015
Originally posted by vampiress
the fairy lights i'm thinking of fit in the palm of your hand and weight almost nothing. the come in a box about the size of a ticktack container
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....L._SL1500_.jpg

these are not like your normal christmas lights. i've used them in my ugly christmas sweater contest, i poke the wires through my sweater so it lights up. i have also used them for ragnar relay races to decorate the van. the wires are super thing and easy to tape down wiht painters tape to the van.
You'll learn that on this board there's not one single thing that doesn't irritate a few people, even things like those tiny lights that they can't possible see from their location.
They are cute.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
s600/781/67/85
15 - 25 - 30
los angeles
241 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
oh i know. and i'm not hanging mind on my balcony anyway. i have a cute dress that looks like a jumble of christmas lights, i'm using mine as a necklace. i'm pretty sure i'm going to be popular with the kids on the cruise.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

USA
4,262 Posts
Joined Jun 2007
Originally posted by floridalover5623
You'll learn that on this board there's not one single thing that doesn't irritate a few people, even things like those tiny lights that they can't possible see from their location.
Sadly, you are so right. One poster wrote: "....it would adversely impact my view as I stood along my balcony rail. Given that the act might be offensive to other passenger...." Really?? This is total exaggeration - the only way you could see a little string of lights on the next balcony would be to stretch your neck around the divider to look - which is wrong. And people need to stop being "offended" about anything and everything! Our society is getting insane with all this political correctness crap and not letting anyone live their lives for fear of "offending" someone. Unless a person is being totally obnoxious, just ignore them and get on with life (and a nice vacation).
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Life's Milestones are Best Celebrated in Nautical Miles.

Oceania Insignia 1-2019 (World Cruise)
Emerald Princess 5-2018 (Pacific Coastal)
Oceania Insignia 12-2017 (Cuba)
Regal Princess 11-2017 (Western Caribbean)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Caribbean Princess 3-2017 (Southern Caribbean)
Celebrity Silhouette 8-2016 (British Isles, Guernsey, Belgium, Amsterdam)
Grand Princess 11-2015 (Hawaii)

Celebrity Infinity 10-2014 (TA - England, Azores, Bermuda, Bahamas)
Celebrity Reflection 3-2014 (Eastern Caribbean)
Crown Princess 7-2013 (Baltics/Russia)
Emerald Princess 3-2012 (Eastern Caribbean)
Caribbean Princess 6-2011 (Canada/New England)
Crown Princess 9-2010 (TA - British Isles, Iceland, Greenland, Canada)
Coral Princess 12-2008 (Full Panama Canal, Central America, Mexico)
Sun Princess 9-2007 (Alaska)
Carnival Paradise 9-2003 (Western Caribbean)
Carnival Fantasy 1-1990 (Bahamas)
Carnival Holiday 12-1989 (Western Caribbean)

COLORADO
59,492 Posts
Joined Jan 2004
Originally posted by nukesubsailor
I wish those passengers who take strings of lights with them on cruises would share their luggage packing secrets. We only take one large bag and one carry-on each on cruises and there is no room in any of them for something like decorations for the balcony or cabin.

Could be a set of combo necklace lights. Hence no suitcase needed.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Keith
Princess Elite Member
57 Princess Cruises

USNS HARKNESS T-AGS 32

Temecula, CA
898 Posts
Joined Sep 2004
Yes, IMHO, peering onto other person's balconies is what is so wrong.

Our next cruise could be a December cruise...
I think I will start shopping for some lights!!!!
Me too! Amazon here I come
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"And so many nights I just dream of the ocean; God, I wish I was sailin' again; Oh, yesterdays are over my shoulder; So I can't look back for too long; There's just too much to see waiting in front of me, and I know that I just can't go wrong...." Jimmy Buffett

I remember well..............

2014 Crown Princess - Mexican Riveria
2013 Golden Princess - 4 night California Coastal

2011 Disney Wonder - Mexico
2009 Volendam - Alaska
2009 Disney Wonder - Bahamas
2008 Monarch of the Seas - Ensenada
2007 Monarch of the Seas - Ensenada
2004 Ryndam - Sea of Cortez
2004 Monarch of the Seas - Ensenada
Sometime after the ice age - Azure Seas
9 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
Yes, IMHO, peering onto other person's balconies is what is so wrong.

Our next cruise could be a December cruise...
I think I will start shopping for some lights!!!!
Good idea.
North Texas
681 Posts
Joined Mar 2005
Originally posted by robthens
Considering LED lights for balcony railing on upcoming Panama Canal cruise.
What are the thoughts regarding this?
Thanks for all the feedback. I've made my decision.
#1 I will put led fairy battery powered lights on my balcony
#2 I will only have them on for a short period of time in the evenings
#3 I will use command hooks to attach them
#4 I won't be looking into your balcony (hope you won't be looking into mine). Lol
#5 FYI I will turn off my balcony light (switch behind the curtain) at night
#6 I will have an amazing cruise & I hope all of you have one too!!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

2017 Caribbean/Carnival Valor .... Puerto Vallarta
2016 Cuba/Vantage ...Panama Canal/Island Princess ...Alaska/Coral Princess
2016 Mexican Riviera/Ruby Princess
2015Alaska/CrownPrincess...Canada/Caribbean Princess Caribbean/Caribbean Princess
2014 & 2015 Caribbean/Emerald Princess
2014 Alaska/Princess
2013/14 Caribbean/Carnival Magic
2013 Alaska/Princess
2012/13 Caribbean/Crown Princess
2012 Nordlys/Northern coast of Norway
2012 Caribbean/Carnival
2011 Caribbean/Royal Caribbean Oasis of the Sea
2010 Christmas Markets/Vantage
2009 Russian Waterways/Vantage...Alaska/Princess
2008 October Fest Munich...Egypt & the Nile/Vantage
2007 Eastern Europe/Black Sea/Vantage... China/Vantage