Queens Grill wine

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Unregistered, just back from your Cunard cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Cunard Line

Read hundreds of Cunard Cruise Reviews from cruisers like you.

See posts about:
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 12:51 PM.
South West UK
1,002 Posts
Joined Sep 2009
Looking forward to our first voyage on Cunard. Seems a bit odd that we have cruised so much but never with our home-grown line (and yes, I know who it is actually owned by).

A couple of questions about the Queens Grill and wine.

Firstly, Cunard appear to suggest you can have any wine from their list in your suite. Is this the full list or a reduced one for room service? And if the latter does anybody have a copy?

Secondly, can you take this wine from your cabin to the restaurant? Is this what everybody in QG does or would it be considered bad form?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Future cruises booked:

Regent Mariner 27 October 2017. Montreal to Miami.
Queen Mary 2 10 January 2018 Southampton to Cape Town.
Scenic Aura 25 March 2018 Mandalay to Yangon.
MS Mendula 2 September 2018 Croatian Islands.
Queen Mary 2 10 January 2019 Southampton to Dubai.
Vale of Glamorgan
3,376 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
Generally the complimentary spirits/wine provided in Queens Grill is from a limited list. You can always try asking for something else but I doubt you could choose from anything on the Wine list. We have asked for Pimms in the past, it's not on the list of available spirits but it's been supplied.
The wine and spirits are for in-cabin consumption.

Enjoy your first Cunard experience.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email - [email protected]

Please include your Cruise Critic user name and be patient, I do not have full time access to this mailbox and I am in a different time zone to many of you !
Magnolia, Texas
1,314 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
If you bring a wine into the Grills restaurants you may have to pay a corkage fee. Better to select from the wine list, and enjoy your wine or spirits in the comfort of you suite. I usually have a red and a white at the table and since I am the only drinker at the table there is wine left over. It will be marked with your table number and brought back for the next lunch or dinner for you to continue to enjoy.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Market Harborough, UK
769 Posts
Joined Aug 2000
Originally posted by Balloon Man
Looking forward to our first voyage on Cunard. Seems a bit odd that we have cruised so much but never with our home-grown line (and yes, I know who it is actually owned by).

A couple of questions about the Queens Grill and wine.

Firstly, Cunard appear to suggest you can have any wine from their list in your suite. Is this the full list or a reduced one for room service? And if the latter does anybody have a copy?

Secondly, can you take this wine from your cabin to the restaurant? Is this what everybody in QG does or would it be considered bad form?
Not sure if you asking about wine instead of the free spirits or are you intending to purchase wine. Wine in place of the spirits are limited - but ask your butler.

I have never been charged corkage if I take the "free" Champagne from the Suite into the restaurant. In fact there are occasions when other bottles I have taken into the restaurant have not been charged - depends a bit on the wine waiter and if you have been buying wine during the cruise perhaps.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Trevor Lake
CUMBRIA ENGLAND
595 Posts
Joined Jun 2008
Because I don't drink spirits, I have in the past requested wine rather than a spirit choice. They usually refill, depending on how quick you drink it, and top up supplies regularly. Once I asked for a Sauvignon Blanc, the Butler brought a South African SB but I told him I really didn't like the South African so he took it back and replaced it with a NZ Marlborough!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
South West UK
1,002 Posts
Joined Sep 2009
Originally posted by SALAD MUNCHER
Because I don't drink spirits, I have in the past requested wine rather than a spirit choice. They usually refill, depending on how quick you drink it, and top up supplies regularly. Once I asked for a Sauvignon Blanc, the Butler brought a South African SB but I told him I really didn't like the South African so he took it back and replaced it with a NZ Marlborough!
Salad Muncher: you sound like my wife. Loves SB but only New Zealand, and preferably Marlborough.

I'm a whisky drinker. Will they supply Johnny Walker Black Label as a freebie cabin spirit?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Future cruises booked:

Regent Mariner 27 October 2017. Montreal to Miami.
Queen Mary 2 10 January 2018 Southampton to Cape Town.
Scenic Aura 25 March 2018 Mandalay to Yangon.
MS Mendula 2 September 2018 Croatian Islands.
Queen Mary 2 10 January 2019 Southampton to Dubai.
Sydney, Australia
1,473 Posts
Joined Mar 2012
Originally posted by Balloon Man
Salad Muncher: you sound like my wife. Loves SB but only New Zealand, and preferably Marlborough.

I'm a whisky drinker. Will they supply Johnny Walker Black Label as a freebie cabin spirit?
They certainly do. A full bottle too.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming cruises:

Past cruises:

Golden Princess Australia Coastal Apr 17; Diamond Princess SE Asia Dec 16 / Jan 17; QM2 Tranatlantic WC segment Jan 16; Queen Elizabeth back to back Canaries Dec 15; Diamond Princess Coastal Dec 14; Dawn Princess Australian Coastal Oct 14; Queen Elizabeth Venice to Athens Jun to Jul 14; QM2 Hamburg to Southampton Jun 14; Diamond Princess Australia/New Zealand Dec 13; QM2 Caribbean/Transatlantic Dec 12 to Jan 13; Diamond Princess Australia/New Zealand Jan 06
87,478 Posts
Joined Jul 2000
We loved the Queens Grill experience when we sailed the QM2 in 2014.

There were very few things we didn't care for. With that said, if the wine selection offered today is the same as was offered in 2104 we thought it was pretty bad. I know these things are subjective. When we filled out comments we suggested that increasing the value of the wine provided by just a few dollars (or pounds) would allow them to provide wine that would be more appropriate for the Queens Grills Suites IMHO.

Keith
London, UK
547 Posts
Joined Apr 2010
We are travelling for the first time with Cunard in a Princess Grill suite. Do we also get 'free' wine or spirits in our suite. If so when can we make the choice?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Past Cruises:
1990 Black Prince
1999 Club Med 2
2001 Seabourn Pride, Caronia
2002 Silver Whisper, Seven Seas Mariner
2003 Seabourn Spirit, Seven Seas Navigator, Radisson Song of Flower
2004 Silver Wind, Seadream 1, Pandaw II
2005 Seabourn Pride
2006 Seabourn Legend
2007 Seabourn Legend, Galapagos Explorer, Le Diament
2008 Silver Wind, Crystal Serenity, Road to Mandalay
2009 Seven Seas Navigator, Silver Shadow
2010 Crystal Symphony, Seven Seas Mariner, Silver Spirit
2011 Crystal Symphony, Seabourn Spirit,
2012 Seabourn Quest, Seabourn Odyssey,
2013 Mekong Explorer, Scenic Emerald, Seven Seas Voyager
2014 Seabourn Quest, Seven Seas Mariner, Seven Seas Voyager
2015 Tauck Insignia, Seabourn Odyssey
2016 Seven Seas Navigator, Tauck Emerald
2017 Seabourn Encore, Seven Seas Explorer
Vale of Glamorgan
3,376 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
Originally posted by eliana
We are travelling for the first time with Cunard in a Princess Grill suite. Do we also get 'free' wine or spirits in our suite. If so when can we make the choice?
No, they are offered in Queens Grill only.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email - [email protected]

Please include your Cruise Critic user name and be patient, I do not have full time access to this mailbox and I am in a different time zone to many of you !
Gower Peninsula, Wales
2,923 Posts
Joined Jan 2006
Originally posted by lokinvar
will they supply champagne if asked?
At the appropriate cost yes.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Gill

QV - December 2017
QM2 - March 2018
QM2 - April 2018
QM2 - January 2019
CT
13 Posts
Joined Aug 2017
Can someone help me with the following question: I'll be travelling solo for the first time and have requested a table for 8 as opposed to the usual 2 top when DW is with me. Whats the etiquette with respect to wine ordered at table? Is it shared with table mates? sometimes? always? never?
uk
468 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
Originally posted by lokinvar
Can someone help me with the following question: I'll be travelling solo for the first time and have requested a table for 8 as opposed to the usual 2 top when DW is with me. Whats the etiquette with respect to wine ordered at table? Is it shared with table mates? sometimes? always? never?
Bit of a problem sharing a bottle between 8 as they only have 6 normal sized glasses in them It's quite normal to order just for yourselves.
South Lincolnshire
1,321 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
If you are in one of the grills restaurants, It is open seating, so passengers may be arriving at different times. Last October we were in the Princess restaurant, and were seated next to what appeared to be the 'singles' table for 8, and the most we ever saw were 5 people at it. We dine at 6.30pm, and there were only one or two people there most evenings, and sometimes it was empty, especially at breakfast and lunch. We had left by 8 or 8.30, so it is possible that some were dining later! Iwould get a bottle of your preferred wine, and keep it for yourself, after all, peoples choice of wines can be different, I don't drink red wine!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Valentine Jewell

40 cruises since 1991

To come, number 41
QUEEN ELIZABETH, November 2017