Long Beach port = new territory... Hotel and transportation options

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Cruising for the first time? Our members will have you cruising like a pro in no time! Don't forget to read our 8000 reviews written by first timers just like you!
First Time Cruisers
You May Also Want to Read: Over 6,000 Published Cruise Reviews by First Time Cruisers

Best advice for first-time cruisers; learn how to pick a cabin, find the best cruise bargain, tips on what to pack.

Browse Cruise Critic's First Time Cruiser Resources (articles)
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 06:58 AM.
57 Posts
Joined Mar 2009
So I've been on a few cruises before (Florida and Texas ports) but we have just booked a cruise on the Carnival Imagination out of Los Angeles (Long Beach port).

We need a hotel for the night we arrive and then some sort of transportation from the airport to the hotel and then transportation from the hotel to the port itself.

Our flight arrives around 10:30 the night before so hotel features and such aren't a big deal, we just need a safe place to sleep. I was wondering if any veterans of this port had any hotel recommendations. Preferably a hotel that offers free transportation from the airport to the hotel. But I guess my questions will be:

1. Is it a better option to stay at an airport area hotel and then get a shuttle in the morning?
2. Is it a better option to stay close to the port for less of a commute the next day? If so, what's the most cost efficient method of getting there for 2 people?
3. For shuttles from the port to the airport, what have you used and what would be recommended? Our flight isn't until after 5pm that day so we won't be rushed.

Thank you
southern NM desert
11,350 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
I suggest you post your question on the West Coast Departures forum.

Also, you might want to ask your question in your Roll Call.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
NM Lady (Mary Kay) & Joe
Platinum on NCL, 2-Star Mariner on HAL

Booked: NCL Sun April 19 - May 7, 2018.
Seattle to Port Canaveral via Panama Canal
Our third transit through the Canal.

1999-2016: 23 cruises
12 NCL, 2 HAL, 2 RCI, 2 Carnival, 2 Celebrity, 2 Oceania,
and 1 Radisson now Regent, around Italy (a sweepstakes prize!)
Middle of the Sahara Desert
11,796 Posts
Joined Aug 2006
Originally posted by imakemistaeks
So I've been on a few cruises before (Florida and Texas ports) but we have just booked a cruise on the Carnival Imagination out of Los Angeles (Long Beach port).

We need a hotel for the night we arrive and then some sort of transportation from the airport to the hotel and then transportation from the hotel to the port itself.

Our flight arrives around 10:30 the night before so hotel features and such aren't a big deal, we just need a safe place to sleep. I was wondering if any veterans of this port had any hotel recommendations. Preferably a hotel that offers free transportation from the airport to the hotel. But I guess my questions will be:

1. Is it a better option to stay at an airport area hotel and then get a shuttle in the morning?
2. Is it a better option to stay close to the port for less of a commute the next day? If so, what's the most cost efficient method of getting there for 2 people?
3. For shuttles from the port to the airport, what have you used and what would be recommended? Our flight isn't until after 5pm that day so we won't be rushed.

Thank you
1 - It will depend on which airport your going to use Long Beach or LAX and time of arrival
2 -If early get a shuttle to a Long Beach or San Pedro hotel. I would use super-shuttle or similiar
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Past
57 Posts
Joined Mar 2009
Originally posted by NMLady
I suggest you post your question on the West Coast Departures forum.

Also, you might want to ask your question in your Roll Call.
Originally posted by Kamloops50
1 - It will depend on which airport your going to use Long Beach or LAX and time of arrival
2 -If early get a shuttle to a Long Beach or San Pedro hotel. I would use super-shuttle or similiar
- I wasn't sure which forum to post it in. I figured the "First Time Cruisers" forum would be appropriate.

- Thanks, Kamloops
11,796 Posts
Joined Aug 2006
If you use the Long Beach airport ( fairly small and easy to pass thru both ways) . Long Beach or San Pedro are a $45 usd taxi ride.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Past
57 Posts
Joined Mar 2009
Originally posted by Kamloops50
If you use the Long Beach airport ( fairly small and easy to pass thru both ways) . Long Beach or San Pedro are a $45 usd taxi ride.
We are flying into LAX.
Central Illinois
111,848 Posts
Joined Apr 2008
Originally posted by imakemistaeks
We are flying into LAX.
That was about a $70 cab ride for us.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Bob

Past Cruises

Celebrity: Mercury
RCCL: Adventure, Allure, Brilliance, Enchantment, Explorer, Freedom, Independence, Legend, Liberty, Majesty, Mariner, Monarch, Navigator, Oasis, Radiance, Rhapsody, Serenade, Sovereign, Vision, Voyager
Calgary Alberta
81 Posts
Joined Jun 2009
We actually stayed at an airport hotel LAX priceline and used Uber to and from the port. So easy and cheap

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Disney Wonder
Disney Magic
Celebrity Century
Celebrity Solstice
RC Sovereign
RC Navigator
RC Freedom of the Seas
RC Majesty of the Seas
RC Monarch
Celebrity Silhouette- March 2013
RC Liberty- Sept 1 2013

California
26 Posts
Joined Dec 2016
We drive there, but do a search for port shuttles. Super shuttle is always most expensive. We used Prime Time from port of LA to home and it was significantly cheaper and less crowded. Might also search for hotels with shuttles to port

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Pat & Richard, Southern California
11,796 Posts
Joined Aug 2006
Originally posted by MCC retired
No one yet mentioned the Queen Mary ?
We stayed there prior to a cruise from San Pedro .
Quite a pre cruise treat for a history buff .

Didn't mention it because there are rumours online that the company is having money issues and have everything slip.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Past
87,598 Posts
Joined Jul 2000
If you are arriving at 10:30 PM I would just stay near the airport. There are several hotels. One we have stayed at is the Marriott right outside the airport. They have a shuttle from airport to hotel.

Next morning you have many options. I would recommend either a private car service such as execucar and their web site is: www.execucar.com or Uber or Lyft.

Keith
57 Posts
Joined Mar 2009
Thank you for the responses everyone!

I think we're going to stay at an LAX area hotel and get an Uber the next morning. Any issues with using Uber to pick us up from the port to the airport?
57 Posts
Joined Mar 2009
Originally posted by Keith1010
No issues with Uber but if you had a tight time frame and no one was available then you would want to make a taxi a fall back.

Keith
Our return flight isn't until late so there shouldn't be any issues. Sounds like Uber each way is the best option. Thanks!