Tsa Locks

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Ask a Cruise Question
Post your general cruise questions here.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 08:47 PM.
North Carolina
463 Posts
Joined Nov 2007
I've seen many mentions of "TSA locks" for luggage taken on cruises. What are "TSA locks"? How do I recognize a "TSA lock"?

Where can I find them? What do I ask for in the store?

Thanks
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Boiler Cruiser

Island Princess Panama Canal Cruise 2008
Grand Princess
Alaska Cruise 2013

Florida
4,036 Posts
Joined Sep 2006
TSA locks are ones that the TSA passkey opens. In theory, if you these, TSA will use their passkey to open the luggage and then reclose the lock when they are done. If you use a non-TSA lock, they will simply cut it off. FWIW, while they sometimes work, I have had TSA locks cut off.

What do you ask for? Simply a TSA lock or TSA approved lock.

Obviously, they all have a key mechanism. Some also are combination locks. the latter are a good idea because if you lose your key, you can still open the lock.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw...a+lock&x=0&y=0

is the result of searching amazon.com for "tsa lock"
Easton, Connecticut
1,182 Posts
Joined Feb 2008
you can buy the locks at any luggage store
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Bob from Connecticut

Statendam (the old one), Veendam (the old one), Volendam, Rotterdam (the old one), Prinsendam (the one that sunk) Niew Amsterdam, Noordam (the old one and the new one),
WindSurf, WindSpirit, Windstar, Star Princess, Zuiderdam, Oosterdam, Maasdam, Queen Mary 2 (twice), Queen Victoria, Norwegian, Dawn (Yuch)
8,696 Posts
Joined Mar 2000
You can find these marked locks either key or combination at Walmart or any luggage department. They have what almost looks like a little red cross on them.

Also, if your luggage is opened and inspected by TSA, they are supposed to put in a "notice" telling you they did inspect. However, that is not always done.

Bon Voyage
Nanatravel
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Bon Voyage
Nanatravel aka Bev

Celebrity Silhouette 15 Night TA East bound 11/5/16, Royal Princess 10 night Caribbean 3/23/2016, Celebrity Reflection Western Caribbean 11/7/2015, Celebrity Equinox 10 nights Caribbean 3/27/2015, Celebrity Infinity 15 nights East bound Panama Canal - San Diego to Miami, Celebrity Constellation 5 nights 2/3/14, Celebrity Eclipse So. Caribbean 14 nights 3/9/2013, Crown Princess British Isles & France 5/19/2011, Emerald Princess Eastern Caribbean 6/13/2010, Golden Princess Hawaii from LA 4/11/10, Carnival Freedom 6 night Western 2/21/2010, RCI Jewel of the Seas 10/27/2009 repo Boston to Miami, Caribbean Princess 11/2/08 Southern Caribbean, NCL Gem to No Where @ Boston 12/13/2007, NCL Majesty to Bermuda, 7/1 2007, Emerald Princess, 5/ 29/2007 Grand Meditteranean, RCI Freedom of the Seas 11/5/2006 Western Caribbean, Carnival Pride 10/30/05 Mexican Riviera, RCI Mariner of the Seas 11/7/04 Western Carib. ,Celebrity Millennium 2/22/04 Eastern Carib., Carnival Conquest 10/26/03 Western Carib from NOLA, Carnival Legend 4/11/2003 from Ft. Lauderdale, Carnival Pride 2/23/2002 from Port Canaveral, Celebrity Galaxy 11/01 Southern Carib. from SanJuan, Grand Princess 3/2001 - from FLL, Celebrity Millennium 9/9/2000 - Europe Capt. Club, Sea Princess 2/22/1999 - Western Carib. from FLL, Vison of the Seas 10/28/1998- Panama Canal, Rhapsody of the Seas 3/1998- Southern Carib., Celebrity Century 3/1997, Celebrity Zenith 11/1996, Legend of the Seas 6/1995- Alaska, Celebrity Horizon 4/1994- So. Carib. from San Juan
San Diego
8,858 Posts
Joined Oct 2006
think we got ours at target
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cruises sailed
11/05 Disney Wonder - Bahamas
05/06 Caribbean Princess - Eastern Caribbean - Honeymoon
12/06 Monarch of the Seas - Baja Mexico
05/07 Liberty of the Seas - Western Caribbean - Maiden Voyage
10/07 Vision Of the Seas - Mexican Riviera
04/08 Monarch of the Seas - Baja Mexico
09/08 Rhapsody of the Seas - Alaska - now C&A Platinum
01/09 Sapphire Princess - Mexican Riviera
04/09 Carnival Elation - Baja Mexico B2B part 1
04/09 Carnival Elation - Baja Mexico B2B part 2
12/09 Celebrity Equinox - Southern Caribbean
04/10 Radiance of the Seas - Mexican Riviera
10/10 Caribbean Princess - Southern Caribbean
03/11 Majesty of the Seas - Bahamas
05/11 Carnival Paradise - Baja Mexico

So far 101 wonderful days spent at sea!!
Milwaukee, WI USA
6,813 Posts
Joined Sep 2002
I don't bother with them any more. I bought 2 for a cruise in 2005. First one broke on the way home, second broke on the next trip a year later. Not very secure IMO. You are better off using zip ties to "lock" your bags. Just be sure to bring a nail clipper or scissors to "unlock" them.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Carnival Sensation 2-8-03
Carnival Valor 1-30-05
Carnival Legend 1-28-06
Carnival Legend (part II) 1-27-07
Carnival Miracle "Miracle Waiters" CC Group 1-24-09
Carnival Freedom "Freedom Rockers" CC Group 1-16-10
Carnival Miracle "Miracle Waiters" CC Group 1-29-12
Carnival Breeze "Breeze-y Waiters" Group 2-2-13

Carnival Victory "Mom's 1st Cruise" 10-28-13
Carnival Conquest "Conquest Waiters" Group 2-9-14
Carnival Liberty "Liberty Waiters" Group 1-24-15
Carnival Breeze "Breeze-y Waiters II" Group 1-30-16
Carnival Vista "Hasta la Vista Waiters" Group 1-22-17

Next up...the Dream in October 2017 and the Conquest in 2019!

Akron Ohio
5,587 Posts
Joined Sep 2006
Originally posted by Boiler Cruiser
I've seen many mentions of "TSA locks" for luggage taken on cruises. What are "TSA locks"? How do I recognize a "TSA lock"?

Thanks
If you are not flying, dont bother with TSA locks, just use regular ones. Cruiseline will not open your luggage, they will notify you to do it if it needs done
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Diana
Fredericksburg, va. USA
83,440 Posts
Joined May 2001
You don't HAVE to use TSA approved locks--it's not a law! You can use any kind of lock, either keyed or combination. If the TSA wants to get in your bag, they'll cut the lock off--and you KNOW someone has been in there! 90 % of the time, they won't open anything, so why make it easy for someone else to get into your stuff?
Wal-mart sells luggage sized locks (keyed) for next to nothing--and they're sturdy and come in sets, so you only need one key for all the locks!
Orlando, FL
1,200 Posts
Joined Jun 2005
You can also get TSA locks that will tell you if your luggage has been opened. http://www.magellans.com/store/Safet...agsSL742?Args=

They're the same price as ordinary TSA locks. If I didn't already have 7 or 8 of the ordinary TSA locks (None of which has ever broken over many years of use) I'd get these. I have gotten the inspection notice a couple of times.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Ann
Chandris/Celebrity Britanis 1991
Famtasy/Celebrity Meridian 1992
Dolphin SeaBreeze 1993
Oceania Insignia Mediterranean 07/10/05
Oceania Regatta 1/28/07 LA > Miami
Celebrity Century 4/26/07 Miami>Amsterdam
HAL Volendam 9/01/07 Alaska Cruise Tour
HAL Zaandam 03/04/08 Circle Hawaii
Oceania Regatta 11/25/08 Amazon Adventure
Norwegian Sun 10/04/2010 London (Dover) > Port Canaveral b2b Western Caribbean

Next up:
Oceania Marina 12/10-22/2011 Sapphire Seas
Atlanta, GA (Duluth)
2,869 Posts
Joined Aug 2003
Originally posted by celticd1
I don't bother with them any more. I bought 2 for a cruise in 2005. First one broke on the way home, second broke on the next trip a year later. Not very secure IMO. You are better off using zip ties to "lock" your bags. Just be sure to bring a nail clipper or scissors to "unlock" them.
I agree, I don't bother with any locks - you can buy the zip or cable ties to secure your bags at Target or a hardware store and lock your luggage.

They come in colors, so I know if anyone has opened my luggage. As recommended, I put a nail clipper in the checked baggage outter pocket so that I can snip them open when I arrive.

This works best for me!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Diane
"I ain't gonna live forever, I just want to live while I'm alive" - Bon Jovi
~ Friends are the family that we choose for ourselves ~
http://community.webshots.com/user/ddepace7

Disney Dream 11/2014 (Bahamas)

Navigator of the Seas 4/2011 (W. Carib)

Norwegian Pearl 2/2011

Norwegian Sky 5/2009
Carnival Inspiration 10/2008 ((W.Carib)
Costa Mediterranea 3/2008 (E.Carib),
Explorer of the Seas 8/2007 (Canada/New England)
Caribbean Princess 4/2007 (E.Carib)
Carnival Celebration 2/2007 (Carib.)
Golden Princess 8/2006 (British Isles)
Carnival Victory 12/2005
Empress of the Seas 8/2005

Celebrity Mercury 4/2005 (Calif.Coastal)
Caribbean Princess 12/2004 (E.Carib)
Celebrity Summit 4/2004 (W.Carib)
Star Princess 9/2003 (Alaska Inside Passage)
Carnival Triumph 2002 (W.Carib)
RCCL Enchantment of the Seas 2001
Carnival Ecstasy 2000
Norwegian Majesty 1998
Carnival Ecstasy 1998
RCCL Grandeur of the Seas 1997
Regal Princess 1995
Carnival Holiday 1993
Admiral Cruises Emerald Seas 1991
Dolphin 1990
Chandris Britanis 1989
Idaho
435 Posts
Joined Feb 2008
Originally posted by Boiler Cruiser

Thanks
I bought a package of two small luggage locks made by brinks that are tsa. They have a red and white six sided emblem on them and the word brinks under that. on the bottom they have a code TSA 001. I think they were around $6.00 for the package at the most. I got the at Home Depot. They work with a key.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Growing old is Mandatory. Growing up is Optional!
Liberty 10/25/2008
Papasaurus
New Granny
Honolulu, HI
1,695 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
Originally posted by CruiseNut7
I agree, I don't bother with any locks - you can buy the zip or cable ties to secure your bags at Target or a hardware store and lock your luggage.

They come in colors, so I know if anyone has opened my luggage. As recommended, I put a nail clipper in the checked baggage outter pocket so that I can snip them open when I arrive.

This works best for me!
I do basically the same thing, although I carry the fingernail clippers with me. It is allowed according to TSA rules.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Old Dog Busy Learning New Tricks

Email Link

Our first cruise was on the Norwegian Pearl 6/24/2007
It was smashing!
Illinois
1,548 Posts
Joined Aug 2006
We have used TSA locks on our last three cruises. They have the indicator on them that tells you if they have been opened, but we also always have had the notice inside our bag as well. We feel more secure having these locks (not so much for the flight/airport, but for the rest of our trip) as they can only be unlocked by TSA officials or us... now if they want to cut them off or break them, it's a little more difficult to do serruptitously so hopefully it is less likely to happen. If you use cable ties once they are cut off, anyone thereafter has easy access to your property. The TSA will relock your bag with the TSA locks, but if the ties are cut, your bags are carte blanc for anyone else to riffle through them You won't be able to resecure them until you claim them after your flight.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Allure of the Seas 2/25/2018 Western Caribbean
Harmony of the Seas 2/4/2017 Eastern Caribbean
Anthem 9/2016 Canada/New England (35 yr)
Equinox 2/2016 Ultimate Carribean
Independence of the Seas 2/28/2015
Rhapsody of the Seas 8/22/2014 Alaska
Navigator of the Seas 2/23/2014 Western Carribean
Oasis of the Seas 8/31/13 Western Carribean
Oasis of the Seas 2/23/13 Eastern Carribean
Jewel of the Seas 10/21/12 New England/Canada
Allure of the Seas 2/26/2012 Western Carribean
Explorer of the Seas 9/10/2011 Bermuda (30 yr)
Freedom of the Seas 2/27/2011 Eastern Carribean
Majesty of the Seas 10/2010 Bahamas
Adventure of the Seas 2/2010 Southern Carribean
Liberty of the Seas 1/3/09 Eastern Carribean
Voyager of the Seas 2/24/08 Western Carribean
Freedom of the Seas 3/07 Western Carribean
Vision of the Seas 3/05 Mexican Riviera
Adventure of the Seas 8/04 Southern Carribean
Imagination 8/01 Western Carribean
Sovereign of the Seas 8/1994 Eastern Carribean
Fantasy 9/1991 Bahamas (10 yr)
USA
4,261 Posts
Joined Jun 2007
I love my TSA locks. I have the ones that change color if they've been opened - and they have been many times. Occasionally I get the "official notice" inside my bag, but rarely. But at least I know from looking at the lock that someone's been in my bag.

I got mine from www.ricksteves.com. Magellan's has them too. I also put these small locks on the zippers of my backpack so "itchy fingers" can't open the pockets. I don't keep anything of value in the backpack (I always use a moneybelt for valuables), but still don't want my stuff messed with. This is especially important in Europe. One time I purposely left one pocket unlocked (with nothing in it) just to see if a pickpocket would open it and sure enough - twice while riding the Paris Metro it was open after I got off the train! One time I actually heard the zipper being opened and when I turned around to see who it was I was shocked to see a well dressed businessman-looking guy! The other time it was opened I didn't hear it.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Life's Milestones are Best Celebrated in Nautical Miles.

Oceania Insignia 1-2019 (World Cruise)
Emerald Princess 5-2018 (Pacific Coastal)
Oceania Insignia 12-2017 (Cuba)
Regal Princess 11-2017 (Western Caribbean)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Caribbean Princess 3-2017 (Southern Caribbean)
Celebrity Silhouette 8-2016 (British Isles, Guernsey, Belgium, Amsterdam)
Grand Princess 11-2015 (Hawaii)

Celebrity Infinity 10-2014 (TA - England, Azores, Bermuda, Bahamas)
Celebrity Reflection 3-2014 (Eastern Caribbean)
Crown Princess 7-2013 (Baltics/Russia)
Emerald Princess 3-2012 (Eastern Caribbean)
Caribbean Princess 6-2011 (Canada/New England)
Crown Princess 9-2010 (TA - British Isles, Iceland, Greenland, Canada)
Coral Princess 12-2008 (Full Panama Canal, Central America, Mexico)
Sun Princess 9-2007 (Alaska)
Carnival Paradise 9-2003 (Western Caribbean)
Carnival Fantasy 1-1990 (Bahamas)
Carnival Holiday 12-1989 (Western Caribbean)

Tampa, Florida area
12,054 Posts
Joined Nov 2005
Initially I got the TSA locks that you set your own combination, which I thought would be great, as no key to lose.
Major problem - - After very carefully following the exact directions for setting your combination, it never worked. I could not set a combination of my choosing. I tried innumerable times, and never suceeded. I ended up tossing them in the "junk drawer", though I don't know why I bothered to even keep them. They are useless.
Since that time, I have bought the keyed TSA locks. They were packaged as a set of 2, with 4 keys provided and all 4work on both locks. That allows me to carry one key in my purse and one in a carry-on or tote bag, as a backup. And I still have 2 more keys at home in case I lose one.
6,249 Posts
Joined Jul 2007
You can just ask for a TSA lock...it's pretty apparent what they are. The packaging will also indiate that the TSA has a key for the lock.

I'm amazed by the number of people who put valuables in their luggage. I never lock my luggage....it's just a big neon sign to theives that there's something valuable in there.
782 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
We were always getting locks cut off, so we invested in a box of plastic ties. The ones that loop through a little hole and then you pull it taught and we have not had one cut off since.
Honolulu, HI
1,695 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
Originally posted by misty57
We have used TSA locks on our last three cruises. They have the indicator on them that tells you if they have been opened, but we also always have had the notice inside our bag as well. We feel more secure having these locks (not so much for the flight/airport, but for the rest of our trip) as they can only be unlocked by TSA officials or us... now if they want to cut them off or break them, it's a little more difficult to do serruptitously so hopefully it is less likely to happen. If you use cable ties once they are cut off, anyone thereafter has easy access to your property. The TSA will relock your bag with the TSA locks, but if the ties are cut, your bags are carte blanc for anyone else to riffle through them You won't be able to resecure them until you claim them after your flight.
In my experience, when TSA decides to look through my bag secured with cable ties, after they cut my cable tie and do their thing, they have always secured my bag with one of their cable ties.

Pete
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Old Dog Busy Learning New Tricks

Email Link

Our first cruise was on the Norwegian Pearl 6/24/2007
It was smashing!