Conecting cabins less sound proof than non connecting cabins?

gam888

Have a choice of having a triple cabin in connecting room. However, we don't need the other side of the connecting room so there will be a stranger family next door. Just wondering if anyone has stayed in a connecting room before? Just concerned about that connecting door in the middle. would it be less sound proof than if you were in a regular cabin? Also, if you have a choice of a cabin on the port side or the starboard side, would you be able to see more interesting sights on the port when you dock? Although we were told there is no guarantee that the ship will dock on the "port" side when in port. Any information are appreciated.

There is no difference in the "sound-proofing" of a regular cabin and a connecting cabin. The doors between the cabins are solid doors that lock in each cabin. Would probably guess that if the entire cabin was made the way the doors are, they would be completely sound proof.

Port or starboard all depends on which side you want the sun to rise and set going and returning. Other than that, not much diffrence.

I have to disagree. I just got off the Destiny and we had a connecting door in our cabin and we could hear the people next door word to word of what they were saying. It could have been because this was an older ship, I don't know since others are saying they didn't hear anything. If I have a choice to not book a connecting cabin I will do it on my furture cruises.

I agree with Luv2cruise7771, we had a connecting door on our last cruise and we too could hear many conversations and I could even smell the hair spray when it was used in the morning. We would not want connecting doors again. This was on the Pride.

Linda

Same here on the Imagination, had connecting doors and our neighbors kept us up half the night. Can't say they wouldn't have kept us up even without connecting doors as they were a loud group, but we didn't have that problem on the Triumph when we had no connecting door.

I am changing from what I had posted the last time someone asked this. We had connecting rooms on Inspiration in April. We never had a problem with sound. Kids in one room, DH and I in the other. Last week on Sensation, our guarantee OV ended up as a connecting room, this time it was just DH and I and we thought, no problem with noise last tiime, so no big deal. Well, that door rattled all the time, we could see light between the door and wall/ceiling/floor and heard their tv at night. We don't know why it was different this time. We were on Empress deck on both ships, aft on one, forward on the other, maybe that mattered. We also are now looking back on it thinking the only time we and the kids were all in the rooms was to sleep, so maybe that's why we never noticed the noise. Most of the waking hours we had the doors both wide open. I wouldn't do it again, unless you are with a group you know. But for a guarantee, it was worth it for the price, didn't ruin our cruise at all!

Maybe it is per ship but every cabin I have had with a connecting door was very loud. We have only had 3 and each I could hear a lot of noise. We just came back from the 10/29 Sensation with a connecting room and I hear their music every single night when they came into the room and a lot of F this and F that. Very annoying.

There is no difference in the "sound-proofing" of a regular cabin and a connecting cabin. The doors between the cabins are solid doors...

I need to disagree. We had a connecting cabin on the Fascination in 2006, and we could hear EVERYTHING. The noise specifically came from the connecting door.

We could hear a man chronically coughing (more like hacking) at all times of the day and night. Also, every time that they used the hair dryer, it sounded like they were drying their hair in our stateroom.

Ever since this experience, I make sure that I don't get a connecting cabin. Don't care if I have to go to a less desirable location on the ship to avoid them.

...Also, if you have a choice of a cabin on the port side or the starboard side, would you be able to see more interesting sights on the port when you dock? Although we were told there is no guarantee that the ship will dock on the "port" side when in port. Any information are appreciated.

It's truly hit or miss. At some ports, the ship may dock one week port side, stern in first, and then the following week, you may be at a different dock, starboard side, bow in first.

However, there are some ports where there's only one way in and out, and having a cabin on a specific side of the ship may mean having the better view. For example, in Miami, you'll have a nice view of South Beach on the port side as the ship sails away. If your ship calls in San Juan, you'll also have the better view on the port side (as the ship enters San Juan bay, you'll have Old San Juan, and the old Spanish fortresses on that side).

Which ship/itinerary are you taking?

We had a connecting OV cabin aboard the Destiny a few years ago. The couple on the other side of the door liked to have drunken shout-downs. These usually happened in the early hours of the morning.

For this reason, I would stay clear of such cabins unless I had my kids in the connecting cabin!

Have a choice of having a triple cabin in connecting room. However, we don't need the other side of the connecting room so there will be a stranger family next door. Just wondering if anyone has stayed in a connecting room before? Just concerned about that connecting door in the middle. would it be less sound proof than if you were in a regular cabin? Also, if you have a choice of a cabin on the port side or the starboard side, would you be able to see more interesting sights on the port when you dock? Although we were told there is no guarantee that the ship will dock on the "port" side when in port. Any information are appreciated.

I would agree with the posters stating that they are not sound proof.. we had a honeymoon couple next door to us in a connecting cabin.. and really I think we found out alittle tooooooooooo much about them if ya get my drift:eek:

As for port or starboard.. depends..

I had a connecting cabin on the Liberty in May. I did not hear anything from our neighbors.

We too were disturbed by neighbors (strangers) in a connecting cabin.

They had a child who was a screamer. Had great lungs.

I choose to believe that their child was a special child. I hate to think of a kid being allowed to get away with those severely disruptive actions.

We will never get a connecting cabin unless we have booked them for us and family or friends.

I have to disagree. I just got off the Destiny and we had a connecting door in our cabin and we could hear the people next door word to word of what they were saying. It could have been because this was an older ship, I don't know since others are saying they didn't hear anything. If I have a choice to not book a connecting cabin I will do it on my furture cruises.

we were on the Pride last week with a connecting cabin and tons of noise came through, especially every time they went on their balcony. we had one of those wrap aft suites with a separate bedroom so it didn't bother us at night since we could close the doors off from the living room, but it definitely was noisier on Carnival than on the other lines where we had a connecting door. I would not book a connecting room on the Pride again unless we booked that suite again.

I need to disagree. We had a connecting cabin on the Fascination in 2006, and we could hear EVERYTHING. The noise specifically came from the connecting door.

We could hear a man chronically coughing (more like hacking) at all times of the day and night. ....

The one and only time we had a connecting cabin (Sensation 2007), we had the exact same issue with an older gentleman via the connecting door.

I am changing from what I had posted the last time someone asked this. We had connecting rooms on Inspiration in April. We never had a problem with sound. Kids in one room, DH and I in the other. Last week on Sensation, our guarantee OV ended up as a connecting room, this time it was just DH and I and we thought, no problem with noise last tiime, so no big deal. Well, that door rattled all the time, we could see light between the door and wall/ceiling/floor and heard their tv at night. We don't know why it was different this time. We were on Empress deck on both ships, aft on one, forward on the other, maybe that mattered. We also are now looking back on it thinking the only time we and the kids were all in the rooms was to sleep, so maybe that's why we never noticed the noise. Most of the waking hours we had the doors both wide open. I wouldn't do it again, unless you are with a group you know. But for a guarantee, it was worth it for the price, didn't ruin our cruise at all!

That's one of the reasons that I don't book gaurantees, because I hate connecting rooms, even if the people next door are friends/family, cuz I don't want to hear what they are doing... ;)

Archived