Cruisinig to Norwegian Fjords which ports can we do without excursions?

MamaFC

Hi there, we are curising with Princess to Norwegian Fjords in September. As we are on a budget, we would like to visit as many ports without excursions as possible. Could you advise which one we can do on our own or organise or own tour? We are 4 adults travelling with a 2 year old toddler so it has to be easy access as well.

The list of our ports:

Bergen, Hellesylt, Geiranger, Olden, Flaam, Stavanger

I have already found some good tips online (e.g. getting the Flam train tickets from other Norwegian train stations at other ports) Any other tips and advise would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS

Hi there, we are curising with Princess to Norwegian Fjords in September. As we are on a budget, we would like to visit as many ports without excursions as possible. Could you advise which one we can do on our own or organise or own tour? We are 4 adults travelling with a 2 year old toddler so it has to be easy access as well.

The list of our ports:

I have already found some good tips online (e.g. getting the Flam train tickets from other Norwegian train stations at other ports) Any other tips and advise would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS

Welcome to Cruise Critic and come join our "Roll Call"!! There's lots of great information about the ports and it's a chance to meet some of your fellow cruisers.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1675188

Hi there, we are curising with Princess to Norwegian Fjords in September. As we are on a budget, we would like to visit as many ports without excursions as possible. Could you advise which one we can do on our own or organise or own tour? We are 4 adults travelling with a 2 year old toddler so it has to be easy access as well. The list of our ports:

Bergen, Hellesylt, Geiranger, Olden, Flaam, Stavanger. I have already found some good tips online (e.g. getting the Flam train tickets from other Norwegian train stations at other ports) Any other tips and advise would be greatly appreciated. THANKS

Welcome to these Cruise Critic boards!!! Lots of great ideas and people are here on these boards and they are happy to help. Don't be shy!! The only "dumb" question is the one you don't ask. Keep researching and planning. It is very helpful. In many of these Norway ports, you have a certain number of options, but in some areas, your "free", walking around potentials might be a little limited.

As you can see from my live/blog with lots of pictures connected below, we visited four of your six upcoming ports. Below are some preview pictures to get you excited for what you will be seeing and enjoying. Plus some added notes for a couple of these locations.

BUT, here are two cautions and factors to consider.

1. Things are costly in Norway. No bargains for lunches there, tours, etc. Labor costs and taxes are so high in that country and that affects your pricing. Norway is not like some ports in the Carib where you can just walk ashore and pick up lots of available and/or cheap tour.

2. Seeing "up country": For Hellesylt to Geiranger, we did a ship tour that allowed us to see an amazing and wider range of various site and places. Did it cost a decent amount? Yes, but it was super worth it. For Hellesylt, most ships don't allow you off of the ship there unless you are doing such a tour. There is really next nothing to see or do in that specific port.

Added reactions, questions, etc.?? Tell us more!!

Flam, with a population of about 500, is nestled in a tributary of the world's longest and deepest fjord. It is 128 miles long and has a maximum depth of 4,291 feet. On the question of how deep are these fjords, local say: “A mermaid could swim all the way to China.” The chief attraction here is the 73-year-old Flam Railway. It is widely known as one of the world's best railroad journeys. It includes twenty tunnels and eight stops as it goes up the mountain. This rail lines rises from Flam’s gingerbread rail station going up 2,835 feet to Myrdal and this "Roof of Norway" rail station. Railroad website: http://www.flaamsbana.no/eng.

As the seat of Norway’s medieval kingdom of Norway for six centuries, Bergen is a former Viking stronghold encircled by deep fjords, towering mountains, and sweeping glaciers. Today's Bergen has much of the medieval flavor remaining around Bergen's harbor. We explored the cobblestone streets, saw its pastel-color wooden houses, bargained in some of the many artisans' workshops and visited the famous and always-entertaining Fish Market. You can watch the locals haggling over today's catch and enjoy a quayside lunch of freshly caught salmon or fish and chips.

Rated by Frommers as more scenic than Oslo, Bergen was the base of the medieval Hanseatic merchants. Those historic timbered houses are set around Bryggen or The Wharf, a center for crafts and workshops. Its prime row is mostly reconstructed 14th-century structures, some of which were originally destroyed by fire. Det Hansseatiske Museum depicts commercial life on the wharf in the early 18th century and is highly rates with well-preserved wooden structure. Its art museums are highly-rated with religious icons, local art, etc.

In the afternoon, after some of the big crowds had lessened, we took the Floibanen funicular railway to the top of a 1050-foot high peak for scenic views. This cable car has been operating for over 80 years and was refurbished in 2002. The Funicular Lower Station is situated 150 meters from the Fish Market. At the top of the Mount Floyen, there are hiking trails and places for lunch or dinner. The trip takes seven minutes and both cars are on the same cable going up and down. Mariakirken or St. Mary’s Church is the most outstanding Romanesque church in Norway. Bergen is Norway’s largest port and has a population of 252,000. Scenic Bergen completed our voyage with its dramatic backdrop of seven rounded mountains and cobble-stoned streets. It entices you to take memories and photos cherishing the land of the Norsemen.

Their good and helpful Tourism Office can be accessed on the web at: http://www.visitbergen.com/en

We docked at the fairly handy Skoltegrunskaien Pier. This put us within about a 10-15 minute walk of the main attractions at the market and warehouse area.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 104,362 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

This is the super scenic view from immediately above Geiranger that shows the Silver Cloud and Costa ships tendered. A little before this picture, we were to go to Mt. Dalsnibba as a photo stop from this 4,920-foot vantage for the snow-covered surrounding mountains, icy glaciers, crystalline lakes and Geirangerfjord far below. We went there, but it was totally “socked in”. It was so thick, you could barely find your bus on this day on top of the big mountain crowded with lots of buses from the Costa ship. But this view, at a lower level, makes up for that problems and provided a wonderful vista.:

FjordsFinalPortLongView.jpg

After being tendered in Geiranger, we sailed out and passed by two super famous waterfalls. YES, yes, we saw lots and lots of waterfalls on this trip, but these two were among the “best of the best”. Here is the “Seven Sisters”. Directly opposite it in this narrow fjord, there is another “biggie” called several names, including “The Suitor”. The majesty for these feats of nature is pretty amazing.:

FjordWaterfallSevenSisters-1.jpg

Here’s a close look at these historic Bergen Hanseatic merchant warehouse building fronts, people taking pictures, etc. Super loved the charm, character, history and beauty in Bergen.:

BergenCloseHistBldgPixs.jpg

Right near the Hanseatic merchant warehouse area is the Bergen Fish Market with lots of options to buy food to eat on site or just watch, enjoying the “show” as people ask questions and buy the various fresh fish items.:

BergenFishMktCloseUp.jpg

Here are two highlights from the Flam train ride, including where you stop in a stone tunnel to get out and then see this dramatic 305-foot-high Kjosfossen Waterfall half-way on this 12.4 mile trip. We then exit the train at the Vatnahalsen Hotel, to see the grounds, nearby mountains, etc. Here is also another one of great views on this routing, up and down. :

FjordTrainWaterfall.jpg

FjordsTrainViews2.jpg

I am going to some of your ports in 2 weeks. I do not have any excursions planned in Bergen. The reason is because Bergen is the biggest city we are porting in and I figured we'd explore on our own and see what we come across.

I am going to some of your ports in 2 weeks. I do not have any excursions planned in Bergen. The reason is because Bergen is the biggest city we are porting in and I figured we'd explore on our own and see what we come across.

packercruising: Another Wisconsinite! We are going in June. Thanks TLC!

Great to hear from our Midwest neighbors in Wisconsin. Good luck on your upcoming cruises!! YES' date=' Bergen is both wonderful and nice to do on your own. Very compact and easy to walk around. Hope for great weather like we had, but be prepared for some rain that could happen during a part of the day. Have a "Plan B" just in case.

Below are some more of my pictures as "eye candy" to get you excited about Bergen, its charm, old-world options, etc.

Added questions, comments, reactions, needs?? Don't be shy!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio[/font']

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 104,474 views.

In Bergen, this was our great vista on this sunny day from the top of the Floibanen funicular railway station and its scenic overview.:

BergenHarborView.jpg

In Bergen’s Hanseatic warehouse area, this folk music group is entertaining as people sit outside, drink beer (at $13.25 each) and enjoy the great weather day.:

BergenFolkSingers.jpg

In the Bergen market area, here’s one of the sales tent offerings for local woolen products.

BergenWoolenStore.jpg

Bergenhus Festning Castle is located in the entrance to Bergen’s harbor and is one of the oldest, best-preserved castles in Norway. Shown is Rosenkrantz Tower, built in the mid 1500’s with dungeons on the ground floor, cannons on the top floor, etc. :

BergenFortress.jpg

From the Bergen harbor, this is the view of the station, dining place, etc., for the Floibanen funicular railway at the top of its 1050-foot high peak.:

BergenFuncTrainTop.jpg

This view from the Bergen hilltop shows the central downtown shopping area (Torgalmenningen, the major square) and many various building rooftops. The red brick church at the top is Johanneskirken (St. John's church), built of red brick in a neo-gothic style in 1894. The church tower at the left is Korskirken, dating back to the latter half of the 12th century and whose name means “True Cross”. Lots of interesting and historic architecture in Bergen.:

BergenChurchTowers.jpg

What time of year were those pics taken? Do you recommend the railroad trip to the top? How does a lowly tourist figure out deals at the marketplace?

Appreciate the follow-up and good questions. The Bergen pictures were taken July 14, 2010. July, on average, is the best for weather odds along this Norway coast. We had really super good, sunny weather that day we were there in Bergen. We loved it!! Very lucky! Not always that way. YES, the Floibanen funicular worked super for us. On your trip, however, much is going to depend on your weather that day, number of cruise ships in the port and what else your are trying to see and do.

In the mornings, going on this trip up can be more crowded. Sometimes things loosen up for the time period in the afternoon. There are two lines. One to buy the tickets. The other to get on the ride up. You might buy your tickets in advance at the tourism office. Before going to Norway, get an idea on costs for wool hats, sweaters and other items, etc. Than when in the market places there in Bergen, you will have a better sense of value and comparison. Don't expect super bargains there. Below are some more of my visuals to help share some of the details on the various sights and shopping options, potentials there in this great city.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 104,474 views.

Here is one of the glass Floibanen funicular railway getting ready to depart from the top of this 1050-foot high station.:

BergenTrainDownHill.jpg

Here are tourists taking pictures and enjoying the view from the Floibanen funicular railway station and its sloped observation area.:

BergenTopofMtnViewingFlag.jpg

Where do you shop in Norway? Here are a couple of examples in Bergen if looking for woolen items in the charming area right near the Fish Market. As you can tell by the friendly smiles, both my wife and Sharon were enjoying themselves. :

BergenBuyingPenny.jpg

BergenSharonHatTesting.jpg

This closer angle of the Hanseatic merchant warehouses show more building and architecture details on these historic wooden structures used to store dried fish before export.:

BergenWarehousesCloseAngle.jpg

From the higher hill areas of Bergen, here is the view of the rooftops and other harbor area places.:

BergenRoofTops2Ships.jpg

Alesund is a very DIY place from what I've found. See my post elsewhere to the person wondering what to do there, and write the tourism office (if you have 3-4 weeks before you go) and they'll send you a great brochure. For DIYrs like you and me, it's a great city because you can walk back to the ship at lunchtime!

There is a public bus in Geiranger that goes up to the Mt. Dalsnibba (spelling may be incorrect) viewpoint, plus a lake view farther down. There's also a ferry to Hellsylt (through the fjord).

visitalesund-geiranger dot com is a good site to check for information on things in Geiranger.

TLCOhio

Thank you for your wonderful pictures and advice. We booked Norway for 2014 but wish I had booked for this year. Your pictures are great. I also have copied and printed your advice so that I will be more "informed?" when we go.

More great pictures! Now I am really looking forward to it (Like I wasn't before:)). We are going June 8, so it might be a bit cooler. Thanks again!

ibfishing2: Booked and waiting.......... TLCOhio Thank you for your wonderful pictures and advice. We booked Norway for 2014 but wish I had booked for this year. Your pictures are great. I also have copied and printed your advice so that I will be more "informed?" when we go.

Appreciate the kind comments on my pictures and other information. Glad to be helpful. Bergen and this area are super wonderful.

On the question of weather' date=' our ship Captain shared the experience that in this region, that July tends, on average to be the best. Here is more details from this helpful website:

http://www.wunderground.com

You can plug in each port you plan to visit, check its current weather and then look lower on the page to get the past history data on each different date. Here is the weather details for June 8:

[b']June 8[/b], for Bergen: a high of 64 °F in 2012 with a low of 45 °F, with an average high on this date of 58 °F with an average low of 48 °F. During recent history, the high has been 77 °F (2007) and a low of 42 °F (2001) on this date in Bergen. There was no rain on this date last year.

Good luck!

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 105,017 views.

Last year doesn't count. :) It was totally out of whack. I'll plan on the average for Bergen, which is comfortable too. This has been a very good resource thread!

We are in the Milwaukee area. We are doing Princess leaving June 17. Up to North Cape. 12 days. Yep..leaving Wis for cooler weather is a switch for us. Thinking about packing is presenting me with lots of questions. And yes, last year's weather all over the globe was crazy. Just hoping since we had the wettest April in history last month, that we will be spared rain and clouds on our trip.

We are in the Milwaukee area. We are doing Princess leaving June 17. Up to North Cape. 12 days. Yep..leaving Wis for cooler weather is a switch for us. Thinking about packing is presenting me with lots of questions. And yes, last year's weather all over the globe was crazy. Just hoping since we had the wettest April in history last month, that we will be spared rain and clouds on our trip.

Glad you are going all of the way up, UP to the North Cape!! Great areas along that scenic Norway coast. Will you stop in the Lofoten Islands? Do you like seeing wildlife, puffins, etc.?? Check out my live/blog blog for more details on these areas above the Arctic Circle, etc.

Layering and being flexible are key! The weather is always changing and having its unique variations, every year. It was not just "last year". Late June is a better than average time to be visiting up there. Long, long days, especially in the Land of the Midnight Sun. July is generally best, but late June should, hopefully, work well. Don't worry on such cruises in these nature-focused areas about putting on a "fashion show". Just be practical!!! And comfortable! No operas to be attending up there. Don't need to worry on getting too dressed up, in my view based on our experiences.

Added questions about options going up and at the North Cape? Other reactions?

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 105,103 views.

Here are two views of the North Cape as we approached and the clouds started to clear and the sun broke through showing a great blue sky. The ship did a full 360-degree rotation to allow all on the ship, whether on the top deck or in the rooms on both sides, to see this wonderful spectacle of the North Cape. The second shot allows a great look at the detail for this massive rock formation.:

NorCapeSunBreakingThru.jpg

NorthCapeFullLookGreen.jpg

Going down into Gjesvaer, near the North Cape, here was a harbor scene/mountain scene. At the bottom right are some of the wooden fish drying racks.:

NorthCapeTownMtnHarbor.jpg

Sailing from the small fishing village of Gjesvaer near the North Cape, this is the first of many puffin visuals, showing their bright orange feet, plus their cute and unique beaks.:

BirdRockPuffinFeet.jpg

This shows a huge colony of sea gulls along the rocks and deep into the large opening in the side of the mountain that is this bird island.:

BirdRockGullColony.jpg

After getting our rental car in Honningvag, the store clerk mentioned in passing a warning of “Watch out of the reindeer.” Just casually saying it. Sure. Maybe, we’ll see some in the distance. Two or three, maybe!? On the way to Gjesvaer near the North Cape, here was a small part of the large herd of reindeer we discovered on the way to our boat charter. They believed that all of this territory, including the road, belong to them. The young baby reindeer were especially cute!:

BirdRockReindeerOnRoad.jpg

We moved up here from Milw in 2009. We will be in Bergen on the 17th. I have it on good authority that this will be terrific!

We moved up here from Milw in 2009. We will be in Bergen on the 17th. I have it on good authority that this will be terrific!

Well my prayer mat is out for good weather at the end of May/early June. If anyone else cares to join me on the 'good weather mat' is very welcome! :D:D

We all wish for good weather. I like to get as many hints as possible and look at long range forecasts. Some say why bother, if it rains, it rains. But I like to get my disappointment over before I go on the trip and then I can only be pleasantly surprised. Anyway, one site I like to watch is Dryday because it goes out 30 days in advance. Is it accurate? I've been comparing it to our own home weather and I'd say it predicts weather fronts more than actual rain. Here is he link for Bergen. It looks like it will be wet during he end of May. Hopefully that will be followed by some good weather :)

http://www.dryday.com/norway/hordaland/bergen-30-day-weather-forecast/

• 1 month later...
Great to hear from our Midwest neighbors in Wisconsin. Good luck on your upcoming cruises!! YES, Bergen is both wonderful and nice to do on your own. Very compact and easy to walk around. Hope for great weather like we had, but be prepared for some rain that could happen during a part of the day. Have a "Plan B" just in case.

Below are some more of my pictures as "eye candy" to get you excited about Bergen, its charm, old-world options, etc.

Added questions, comments, reactions, needs?? Don't be shy!

In Bergen, this was our great vista on this sunny day from the top of the Floibanen funicular railway station and its scenic overview.:

BergenHarborView.jpg

In Bergen’s Hanseatic warehouse area, this folk music group is entertaining as people sit outside, drink beer (at $13.25 each) and enjoy the great weather day.:

BergenFolkSingers.jpg

In the Bergen market area, here’s one of the sales tent offerings for local woolen products.

BergenWoolenStore.jpg

Bergenhus Festning Castle is located in the entrance to Bergen’s harbor and is one of the oldest, best-preserved castles in Norway. Shown is Rosenkrantz Tower, built in the mid 1500’s with dungeons on the ground floor, cannons on the top floor, etc. :

BergenFortress.jpg

From the Bergen harbor, this is the view of the station, dining place, etc., for the Floibanen funicular railway at the top of its 1050-foot high peak.:

BergenFuncTrainTop.jpg

This view from the Bergen hilltop shows the central downtown shopping area (Torgalmenningen, the major square) and many various building rooftops. The red brick church at the top is Johanneskirken (St. John's church), built of red brick in a neo-gothic style in 1894. The church tower at the left is Korskirken, dating back to the latter half of the 12th century and whose name means “True Cross”. Lots of interesting and historic architecture in Bergen.:

BergenChurchTowers.jpg

Wow Beautiful photos!

The list of our ports:

THANKS

All the ports you mention can easily be done on your own - efficient public bus systems ( take Norwegian Krona!!) and helpful tourist offices near the harbours. Some ideas for example

Geiranger: walk around the village, bus to Mt. Dalsnibba

Bergen: The Bryggen area is beautiful and very near to the place where the ship docks, as well as the famous (touristy) fish market. There's a HoHo bus, too. Wonderful museums for a rainy day . if it's not your first time in Bergen: Take the Path of the Trolls tour - information at the tourist office. It's a combined coach/boat tour.

Stavanger: Nice little town to explore. very good Oil museum - very informative.

Flam: There's a coach tour to some beautiful view points, a fjords cruise plus of course the train tour. Check the sites: If there is more than one ship in port that day, it MIGHT be advisable to book the ship's tour, because train tickets quickly sell out.

Olden: Some shopping centres, a nice trip with a mini-train, a church to see.

Hi All,

This is my first post on the forums! We have just booked our cruise to Norwegian Fjords with Celebrity Infinity for 16 Aug 2013. I see there is a lot of experience here, so I woudl really appreciate if you can give me some hints;

-We have a 2 year old toddler with us, we have never been on Celebrity line before, do you know if there are restrictions about where we can take her in the ship? For example in the restaurants (such as speciality ones), or in the pool?

-What about formal nights? We have only ever sailed in Norwegian line before, where there was no real formal night, it was very casual. I understand it is minimum suits and coctail dresses, but what really happen? And for our toddler as well?

-Is there any port you recommend to get an excursion? Anything on this trip that is worth booking in advance?

-On the ports, things to do or see are easy to find or should I do a detailed search before?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Hi All,

This is my first post on the forums! We have just booked our cruise to Norwegian Fjords with Celebrity Infinity for 16 Aug 2013. I see there is a lot of experience here, so I woudl really appreciate if you can give me some hints;

-We have a 2 year old toddler with us, we have never been on Celebrity line before, do you know if there are restrictions about where we can take her in the ship? For example in the restaurants (such as speciality ones), or in the pool?

-What about formal nights? We have only ever sailed in Norwegian line before, where there was no real formal night, it was very casual. I understand it is minimum suits and coctail dresses, but what really happen? And for our toddler as well?

-Is there any port you recommend to get an excursion? Anything on this trip that is worth booking in advance?

-On the ports, things to do or see are easy to find or should I do a detailed search before?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Welcome to Cruise Critic!! You will find it's a wealth of information from multiple sources.

My first suggestion is to check out the "Roll Call" for your sailing. You'll be able to communicate with your fellow cruisers and get a lot of information about your specific cruise. Here is a link.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1627293

My second suggestion is to post the Celebrity specific questions on the Celebrity board. Here is another link.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28

Good Luck and I hope you have a Great Cruise!!

THANKS

No advantage buying the Flam Train tickets in advance - the tickets must be validated at the Flam Ticketing office - so you need to join the queue anyway.

Just be early in the queue when you arrive into Flam - possible check if more ships in harbour.

Here you will find some short videos from my Norwegian Fjords Cruise.

Link to my

(7 videos)

Geiranger, Norvegian Fjords Cruise June 2013

Flam, Norwegian Fjords Cruise June 2013

Flam Railway, Norwegian Fjords Cruise June 2013

Bergen. Norwegian Fjords Cruise, June 2013

Archived