Topless Beaches

Spurs Fans

Generally, Mexico is much more conservative than the United States. Shorts are frowned upon and going naked is offensive. That being said, Cancun is largely dominated by Americans, and as such Americans may accept nakedness and Mexicans living and working there may be more tolerant of American misbehavior because of the money it brings to the community.

I would ask the question: Is this trip is a carefree holiday where you want to let loose with other Americans on foreign soil, or do you want to respect Mexican society?

I only asked what was acceptable or not acceptable. We will be on vacation by ourselves and looking to have an enjoyable 5 days on the beach. We are not looking to "let loose" with anyone but ourselves. I was only inquiring, since we have never been to Cancun before, what is acceptable.

I only asked what was acceptable or not acceptable. We will be on vacation by ourselves and looking to have an enjoyable 5 days on the beach. We are not looking to "let loose" with anyone but ourselves. I was only inquiring, since we have never been to Cancun before, what is acceptable.

It is acceptable .... BUT you need to ask your hotel's concierge if there's a more "European stretch of beach" in front of the resort. They will know exactly what you are asking. Because Cancun has become a family vacation destination, topless sunbathing is less common on the beaches in front of the resorts (though it depends on the resort).

You may want to check out CC's sister site, Trip Advisor. The Cancun forum is very active, and more than likely there are recent visitors to the Ritz posting on there.

• 6 years later...

This thread is 6 yrs old...But I have to question the comment "Shorts are frowned upon..." ??? We're offended by speedos on the wrong bodies, and maybe that's what GTJ was referring to. But shorts are normal wear on and off the resort.

And there are numerous beaches to the south f Cancun where you are virtually alone and can dress or not as you wish. Cancun is not one of these areas simply because it's so crowded.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...