British Airways surprise

FredT

While I dont consider myself as an "airline guru", I have always considered myself as a knowledgeable frequent flier. So it came as a surprise when I just got "zinged" by British Airways when I booked a couple round trips from JFK to LHR.

When booking them through our c/c (frequent flier points) I did not see any way to choose seats, so I called the FF dept and asked about this. I was assured that the reason was NOT some kind of "basic economy" deal, but that the airline just had not opened up seat selection yet (March 18 departure). Well, I booked... (My bad) Then checked with BA. Nope, they have instituted a new policy where all non - FF customers in economy have to pay $34 to $79 per seat per flight to reserve seats... (Or wait until 24 hrs before departure to choose a seat for free)

What makes this all the more frustrating is the fact that if I had booked the American Airlines flight we COULD have chosen seats on the same plane (BA operates the flight for AA) .... for free.

Live... and learn

If you booked through BA it is made very clear that you have to pay for seats. It is well published and detailed on their website (with the exceptions for those who get free assignments) and has been policy for years.

If you had booked a flight OPERATED by AA then you could have got free assignments, but these are mostly for middle seats. Windows and aisles normally require payment unless you have status.

If you booked through BA it is made very clear that you have to pay for seats. It is well published and detailed on their website

Ahhh... But I booked through Cap One's rewards site. Nowhere does it mention this policy, and when I called them (my mistake) they assured me it was not so...

If you had booked a flight OPERATED by AA then you could have got free assignments, but these are mostly for middle seats. Windows and aisles normally require payment unless you have status.

But if you (through the rewards website) book the AA flight (operated by BA) you CAN choose your seat.

Anyway, no harm, no foul. I still got 2 RT's for $160.00. This post was more of a heads up to others who may book through third party websites.....

I don't think booking the AA codeshare for a BA operated flight circumvents the seat assignment rule.

If you book on AA with an AA flight number you do get seat assignments at no cost, but as mentioned in my previous post that's not any seat. For the hell of it I just looked it up.

Front Economy Cabin Aisles and Windows: $81

Front and Rear Economy Cabin Middle Seats: $69

Rear Economy Cabin Aisle and Windows: $75

I booked EWR to AMS via LHR last year using Celebrity's Choice Air web site. I booked the flights with AA flight numbers, used the Choice Air web site to select my seats--biz class--paid my money and then a few hours later went first to the AA web site to check on the seats, they were MIA so I re-selected them, then went on to the BA web site, still using the AA flight numbers and found out "SURPRISE!!!!!!!" They wanted $125 per flight per seat to choose our seats. I called Choice Air to complain and got no where so I just waited it out. We were in biz class so seat location was not a major issue and our plan was to sleep our way across the Atlantic and the hop from LHR to AMS was short enough that we were not going to worry about not sitting together for an hour. Anyway, it was annoying, I won't use BA again and Choice Air is pretty far down on my list of options now. At T-24 we did get two seats together on each flight but I flew to LHR facing backwards. So, be wary of BA's bargains, even when booked as an AA flight.

If we book in AA web site a flight operated by British Airways or Air Berlin you can not choose the seats until check in.

Also for last flight MTY-MIA-TXL-MIA-MTY was to much more expensive to purchase in only one reservation, we purchase the flight with separate reservations with a lot of savings MTY-MIA-MTY and MIA-TXL-MIA. AA tricks

BA is getting quite a lot of bad press these days in the UK, with free food and drinks being phased out on European routes, and meal offerings being reduced on long haul routes, plus seat densification [great word] in their 777 aircraft.

The current term being used is ABBA - Anyone But BA !

Unless you have high enough status with BA, they have charged for advanced seat selection, even in business class, for years. This includes tickets booked with AA frequent flyer miles.

Exactly. I don't think is new. They've been charging for years.

Also for last flight MTY-MIA-TXL-MIA-MTY was to much more expensive to purchase in only one reservation, we purchase the flight with separate reservations with a lot of savings MTY-MIA-MTY and MIA-TXL-MIA. AA tricks

This isn't AA tricks, this is normal airline practices. Airlines charge based on the entire route, not a per segment basis.

I should note you're not protected at MIA in either direction so if you arrive late from MTY or TXL and you've missed your onward flight then you're potentially looking at buying walk up full fare tickets. Those savings you made will look pretty puny if you end up in that situation.

I had a different experience with British Air. I booked through Princess Air because the price was much cheaper for one-way (Denver through LHR to BCN). I booked premium economy (World Traveller Plus) and was able to select seats as soon as I booked, no extra charge. The flights are not until October so seat selection may change, but as of today the assigned seats are still on the BA site. If BA changes seats or un-assigns seats, no problem as at least we have premium economy. We have 3 hours in LHR to transfer to the BCN flight, and even if delayed, BA has more flights that evening, and we always fly in a day early for the cruise.

I had a different experience with British Air. I booked through Princess Air because the price was much cheaper for one-way (Denver through LHR to BCN). I booked premium economy (World Traveller Plus) and was able to select seats as soon as I booked, no extra charge. The flights are not until October so seat selection may change, but as of today the assigned seats are still on the BA site. If BA changes seats or un-assigns seats, no problem as at least we have premium economy. We have 3 hours in LHR to transfer to the BCN flight, and even if delayed, BA has more flights that evening, and we always fly in a day early for the cruise.

I had a similar experience booking BA premium economy via the Choice Air website. I was able to select seats for no charge through Choice Air and they also displayed when I viewed my booking on the BA website.

• 2 weeks later...

I booked Delta one way, and AirFrance the return trip through Air2Sea. I was able to select my delta seats no problem, but surprise, AF wanted to charge a fee. ouch. I think more International airlines are doing this and it might just need to be something to live with or pay up.

I booked Delta one way, and AirFrance the return trip through Air2Sea. I was able to select my delta seats no problem, but surprise, AF wanted to charge a fee. ouch. I think more International airlines are doing this and it might just need to be something to live with or pay up.

It all depends on the actual type of ticket you purchase, and in some cases, the route or itinerary. There are tickets on DL that do not allow advance seat selection, and there are tickets on AF that do allow it. I have some AF flights booked in October and have my seat assignment for the two transatlantic legs and did not have to pay to select them. For the two intra-European legs, I don't.