Dinner attire

jennyfur02

We are not planning on attending the captains dinner but we are going to attend the scheduled dinner. Just wondering what we can/can't wear. What type of shoes are allowed? Any input would be appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Which cruise line, ship, and itinerary?

This will differ from line to line.

And the itinerary can make a difference too, e.g., Alaska vs. Caribbean vs. Med in many cases.

I'm not sure what "the scheduled dinner" means. Perhaps that term has special meaning on your particular cruise or line?

You appear to be on Carnival Victory? In that case, Captain's Dinner is what they call dinner that night, which will be an Elegant Night. There will not be another 'scheduled' dinner unless you mean eating in the buffet. But it's not necessary, as you can eat in the MDR as long as you are not wearing short shorts and a tank top. EM

I'm not sure my itinerary says we have dinner at 6pm? We are on the carnival victory and we port in Nassau

It sounds as though you have fixed dining at 6:00. Here is the dress code for cruise casual evenings. There will be 1 cruise elegant evening (which I believe is what you referred to as the "captain's dinner"). You can follow the link to see the dress code for that evening. There is nothing really "formal" at all on Carnival.

Cruise Casual Dress Code

• Men: sport slacks, khakis, Jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long) and collared polo shirts
  • Women: summer dresses, casual skirts, pants, capris, dress shorts, Jeans (no cut-offs) blouses and tops
  • Not permitted: Cut-off Jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, tee-shirts, gym or basketball shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1093/~/what-to-wear---evenings

I'm not sure my itinerary says we have dinner at 6pm? We are on the carnival victory and we port in Nassau

So you've apparently chosen first seating for dinner. As a courtesy to your tablemates, make it a point to be on time. As to your question about what to wear, this is from Carnival's F.A.Q. section:

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1093

Just clarify the shoes things....women's thong sandals ARE allowed, but not the rubber pool/beach "flip flops"...men should wear closed toe shoes.

On cruse casual evenings, I have seen men wearing leather sandals. Although you say "men should wear closed toe shoes", it's not a requirement.

On cruse casual evenings, I have seen men wearing leather sandals. Although you say "men should wear closed toe shoes", it's not a requirement.

My DH has some very nice-looking leather sandals which he often wears on casual nights in the MDR with khakis and a golf shirt or "Hawaiian" type shirt. What with the closed toe thing for men???

Just clarify the shoes things....women's thong sandals ARE allowed, but not the rubber pool/beach "flip flops"...men should wear closed toe shoes.

If they allow women to wear dress thongs, I am going to wear my dress sandals such as Birkenstocks. Nobody has ever stopped me although I sometimes wear them with socks.

DON

My DH has some very nice-looking leather sandals which he often wears on casual nights in the MDR with khakis and a golf shirt or "Hawaiian" type shirt. What with the closed toe thing for men???

If you two were at dinner with my wife and I you'd see me in the same. Khakis, Tommy Bahama and sandals or boat shoes. For NYE I wore a sport coat to dinner and changed into shorts about 11 minutes after chocolate melting cake.

Your assigned dining time will be 6 pm every night at the same table. No need to bring fancy clothes, a collared shirt for men with long pants (tie optional) for ladies a nice capri/top/sundress is all you need. Just no shorts and t-shirts.

• 4 weeks later...
Your assigned dining time will be 6 pm every night at the same table. No need to bring fancy clothes, a collared shirt for men with long pants (tie optional) for ladies a nice capri/top/sundress is all you need. Just no shorts and t-shirts.

And PLEASE do not wear a baseball cap to dinner- sooo trashy.

Most people are happy about the relaxing of dress codes - after all , bringing a tuxedo, or even a dark suit, dress shoes, etc. does mean an extra bag. Still, when on a cruise with your spouse or significant other, the evening meals might be seen as more than just getting supper - don't a lot of us make some effort when going "out to dinner"? Is being able to wear whatever casual things you want more important than making a bit of effort to make a "dinner out" with him/her just a little special?

Shorts are fine (and allowed) for every night except Cruise Elegant.

Most people are happy about the relaxing of dress codes - after all , bringing a tuxedo, or even a dark suit, dress shoes, etc. does mean an extra bag. Still, when on a cruise with your spouse or significant other, the evening meals might be seen as more than just getting supper - don't a lot of us make some effort when going "out to dinner"? Is being able to wear whatever casual things you want more important than making a bit of effort to make a "dinner out" with him/her just a little special?

That depends on how often you go out for dinner, and where. If it's once a week to a family restaurant, like the Olive Garden, or the Outback Steakhouse, then it's just dinner out, but nothing special. If it's once a month to a really nice restaurant, then it could be something special.

That depends on how often you go out for dinner, and where. If it's once a week to a family restaurant, like the Olive Garden, or the Outback Steakhouse, then it's just dinner out, but nothing special. If it's once a month to a really nice restaurant, then it could be something special.

Exactly- it does depend on where you go out to dinner. If you choose the Lido, or Windjammer it is just dinner, but nothing special. If you choose the MDR - with linen table cloths and napkins and formally dressed waiters - it is not just like the Olive Garden or Outback.