Private guide in Key Weat that remembers the Navy base area

mooneyhanb

Looking to hire a personal guide to take us around the old Navy Base area that I visited frequently as a kid. Want to see the WWII ship in museum and basically a local's guide to the island...maybe ending at Sloppy Joes for a drink before returning to the ship. Coming in on Tuesday, May 31 (which also happens to be our wedding anniversary).

To what part of the base are you referring? Most of it is still active and therefore still closed to the public. USCGC INGHAM is the only museum ship we have here. It is a self-guided tour through the ship.

To what part of the base are you referring? Most of it is still active and therefore still closed to the public. USCGC INGHAM is the only museum ship we have here. It is a self-guided tour through the ship.

We would have visited in the late 50s or early 60s. I think it is the area that the Navy sold back to the city. Want to see the single house dwellings, what we called the "Sailor's Beach", old commissary, place we would have gotten ice cream...stuff that has stuck in my head all of these years. Definitely going to see the USCGC INGHAM as I was stationed in Key West in the Coast Guard in 68. Wrong on the date, we will be in Key West on Thursday, June 2.

Ours is a bit of a nostalgic trip to Key West too. My son-in-law was stationed in Key West when my Grandson was born there 23 years ago. We will be returning after celebrating his graduation from college. We LOVE Key West too!