Nautical Lexicon - What The Words Mean

Host Walt

What is the "hump" People talk about getting cabins on, or aft, of the hump all the time. Widest part of ship??

On the Radiance, Voyager, Freedom and Oasis class ships (Royal Caribbean) there is a part of the ship that sticks out from the side of the ships (I am not referring to the hot tubs). Because these balconies stick out from the side of the ship, the balconies are more private and thus more desirable. These balconies are also sometimes a little bigger. At any rate, that part of the ship is often referred to as the hump.

• 4 months later...
Most of us, myself included, learned the "cruise lingo" right here at Cruise Critic so I think it would be a nice way of letting newbies learn the correct terms when asking questions about their upcoming cruise.

I'll start. Please feel free to add to the list.

A floor on a cruise ship is called a DECK.

Rooms on ships are called cabins or staterooms.

The bathroom is called, The Head.

• 1 month later...
I always wondered why we don't just say front, back, left, and right for ships. We do for road vehicles and bikes. Sometimes people slip up and say front or back anyway, even though they know the nautical lexicon, out of habit.

Another curiosity: Why is left called port if we don't always get off that side of the ship? Why is right called starboard if there is no board with a star on it?

Good trick about port = left, but can you remember when you are facing forward or aft if you are on a cabin deck?

Why do we drive on the parkway and park on the drive way? :cool:

• 1 month later...
Oh please explain!! :D

OK, well, you did ask for it so:

A parkway is a highway through a park or park-like setting. The Don Valley Parkway in my home town is a classic example.

We all know what a driveway is, but its origins go back to the horse-and-carriage days. Your fancy guests would drive up in their carriage to the front door or a side door with a portico, entering the house directly.

The verb park also goes back to the horse-drawn age. You'd "park" your waggon as you would "park" your car.

So that's how you can park in a driveway and drive on a parkway.

Like I said, explaining it ruins the fun.

OK, well, you did ask for it so:

A parkway is a highway through a park or park-like setting. The Don Valley Parkway in my home town is a classic example.

We all know what a driveway is, but its origins go back to the horse-and-carriage days. Your fancy guests would drive up in their carriage to the front door or a side door with a portico, entering the house directly.

The verb park also goes back to the horse-drawn age. You'd "park" your waggon as you would "park" your car.

So that's how you can park in a driveway and drive on a parkway.

Like I said, explaining it ruins the fun.

Well I never knew that! Thanks.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I use ""The ship left port" to remind me that port is left. And port wine is red, so the red running lights are on the port side. And also the accent on the rugs in the hallways are red on the port side.

One last one is red, right, returning. The channel leading to the docks are marked by red and green buoys. When the ship is heading to the docks, the pilot keeps the red buoys on the right side of the ship.

I use ""The ship left port" to remind me that port is left. And port wine is red, so the red running lights are on the port side. And also the accent on the rugs in the hallways are red on the port side.

One last one is red, right, returning. The channel leading to the docks are marked by red and green buoys. When the ship is heading to the docks, the pilot keeps the red buoys on the right side of the ship.

That is good, 'cause you would not want the red buoys on the wrong side of the ship.

Learning a little from my Marine Hubby...

A Golden Shellback is someone (who has been through the ceremony) after crossing the Equator at the 180th parallel (International Dateline). He is. I am merely a slimy pollywog having never been on a ship that wasn't permanently docked and turned into a museum. Captains go out of their way to cross at this point apparently.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Ocean Air Shrinkage is a thing? I have never heard of this. Too wild!

After a couple of sea days at the buffet, I mean rail, your clothes will absorb the salt air and commence to shrinking. Just you watch!;)

Unless you are in an area that is "Port to Port to Port"!

• 2 weeks later...

Also; The Forcastle (Fos'cil)..sp..is the area on the Bow where the wenches are located. The Bow is forward and Aft is the stern or Fantail. Midships is just that. You are supposed to walk forward on the Starboard side and Aft on Port. It's not a ceiling it's an overhead and the Bridge is where the ship is controlled. It's not called a bathroom it's a head. "Passing with flying colors" means the ship is flying all its flags. "Let the cat out of the bag" was a form of punishment using a form of whip called the cat of 9-tails. Being keel hauled dragged you under the ship so barnacles would cut you. Happy Sailing.

Great thread for us first-timers!

My question:

Can someone explain "muster"?

I get the idea that it's a general gathering of [everyone onboard?] at [some pre-determined time and location?] for the purpose of [practicing evacuation drill? explanation of safety procedures á la the pre-flight flight attendant lecture? seeing the life boats?]

If it helps, I'm booked on the Holland America Amsterdam in September for a 14-day trip to Alaska and back from Seattle.

Thanks muchly ...

Great thread for us first-timers!

My question:

Can someone explain "muster"?

I get the idea that it's a general gathering of [everyone onboard?] at [some pre-determined time and location?] for the purpose of [practicing evacuation drill? explanation of safety procedures á la the pre-flight flight attendant lecture? seeing the life boats?]

If it helps, I'm booked on the Holland America Amsterdam in September for a 14-day trip to Alaska and back from Seattle.

Thanks muchly ...

mus·ter

ˈməstər/

verb

noun

mus·ter

ˈməstər/

verb

noun

Oh, hmmm ... OK, so on a cruise ship, what would they be inspecting? Attire? From what I've read, it didn't sound like it, but ... ?? I mean, I know the dictionary definition "muster" -- I'm trying to find out what it means in terms of a cruise ship. From the sound of some of the messages here, I thought it had something to do with safety and was pretty important, but maybe not? (I'm asking seriously -- I've never cruised before, I've read messages about muster being mandatory, so I'd just like to know what to expect. That's all.)

Oh, hmmm ... OK, so on a cruise ship, what would they be inspecting? Attire? From what I've read, it didn't sound like it, but ... ?? I mean, I know the dictionary definition "muster" -- I'm trying to find out what it means in terms of a cruise ship. From the sound of some of the messages here, I thought it had something to do with safety and was pretty important, but maybe not? (I'm asking seriously -- I've never cruised before, I've read messages about muster being mandatory, so I'd just like to know what to expect. That's all.)

Prior to the ship leaving port, all the passengers must report to their muster stations. This is where the passengers would go if they ever hear seven short blasts followed by one long blast of the horn. Before the ship leaves port it is just a drill. Anytime after that, something is seriously wrong, though it does not mean the ship is sinking, but it could mean the ship is sinking.

Here are pictures of passengers at their muster stations during the pre-departure drill ...

1sak-IMG_1657.jpg

A40_zpsrjxfmfvy.jpg

IMG_5844.jpg

Musterdrill.jpg

And these two are from the abandon ship drill ...

D1-5.jpg

D1-6.jpg

Prior to the ship leaving port, all the passengers must report to their muster stations. This is where the passengers would go if they ever hear seven short blasts followed by one long blast of the horn. Before the ship leaves port it is just a drill. Anytime after that, something is seriously wrong, though it does not mean the ship is sinking, but it could mean the ship is sinking.

Thanks! That was very helpful (especially the photos). One less thing to worry about / ponder over.