Taxi to Rum Point?

sdguy1963

Hi fellow cruisers! Does anyone have experience taking a taxi all the way to Rum Point? I'm wondering how much it might cost, etc. I will be traveling alone and will not have a DD for a rental car. ;-) Also, do they charge a fee to use the beach there?

No fee to use the beach or lounge chairs at Rum Point. They make their money selling you food and beverages.

One way taxi fare to Rum Point should be about US$72. Same for the return, so about US$144 for the round trip Taxis do not hang out at Rum Point waiting for fares so you would need to arrange the return in advance.

It is generally much more economical to visit Rum Point via rental car or as a part of a snorkel trip that stops there for lunch.

Thank you Drew. Damn that is expensive for a cab! Another option I thought of is to take a cab to the Safehaven Dock and then take the $5 water taxi across to Rum Point. I've been to GC before, and so none of the cruise excursions appeal to me. I also want to avoid the popular and very crowded Seven Mile Beach. I thank you again for the information! :)

Edited by sdguy1963
typo

There is no daytime water taxi any more, only an evening one for restaurant patrons on certain nights.

The only feasible ways to get to Rum Point when visiting by cruise ship are a rental car or as part of an excursion that makes a stop there.

• 9 months later...
Have about decided to return to Rum Point, much less crowded than 7 mile and lots of shade. The food was expensive but tasty, water good and calm, but now I see we should probably rent a car to do this. Any other suggestions?:D

Options:

A. Rent a car and drive to Rum Point.

B. Visit Rum Point as part of an excursion to Stingray City (ie Nativeway's Rays, Reef &a Rum Point)

C. Go somewhere else.

:-)

Sorry, it's at the far side of the island from the port, taxis are really expensive and public transportation is unreliable.

• 2 weeks later...
Darn

we just got back. Used Nativeway and wound up at Rum Point.

Was thinking next time to just go there for the day.

Any idea of rental car info for a day?

Didn't find the prices for food' date=' drink any more expensive than anywhere else[/quote']

There is one rental car company within walking distance of the port, Cayman Auto Rentals.

Most of the rest are by the airport and will pick you up and drop you back at the port. Many major brands are represented such as Avis, Hertz, Budget, Payless, etc.. There are also a couple of well regarded local companies like Andy's and Marshall's which have locations at the airport AND along West Bay Road (the Seven Mile Beach area).

• Cayman drives on the left side of the road.
  • Rentals are required to charge you for a temporary Cayman driver's license, IIRC US$20 per driver, so sticking with just one driver is cheaper than sharing driving among your group.
  • Gas is expensive. Currently around CI$4 per Imperial gallon (about US$4.16 per US gallon)
  • Speed limits are European style signs (black number inside red circle) and are posted in miles per hour. Some rental cars have speedometers that only read kilometers per hour. 50 kph is much slower than 50 mph, so please drive with the flow of traffic.
  • You can search individual company web sites for rental rates but I've had good luck just using major travel search pages such as Travelocity, Expedia, Priceline, etc...
  • The rental car companies have the absolute best maps of Cayman. Really quite good.