Maui -- "Pride of America" Beach Suggestions

ajtraveler66

Correct me if I am wrong, but my understanding is that there are no beach 'day passes' for cruisers to any of the hotel beaches in Hawaii (as there are in Costa Maya, Mexico, etc.)

That being said what beach option would you suggest for Maui for the first day? ..We are looking for a great beach where we can enjoy the water, eat somewhere there or nearby, and then see the sunset before heading back to the ship for the evening. [We will not feel rushed, realizing that we will not be leaving until later the next day].

All beaches in the entire state of Hawaii are free and open to the public. You just have look for the beach access or parking. So, no, there aren't passes for beaches.

I would suggest a rental car and go to Kihei, or Wailea. The best beach is Wailea. Kihei will be easier. Was just on the Wailea beach a couple of hours ago.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Ka'anapali beach looked very nice (we were there to shop at Whalers Villlage nearby). don't know how far it would be for you, but we took a taxi from Lahaina (the bus goes between those points too). At Whalers Village (which is an outside shopping mall) there are two restaurants with bars.

Ka'anapali beach looked very nice (we were there to shop at Whalers Villlage nearby). don't know how far it would be for you' date=' but we took a taxi from Lahaina (the gbus goes between those points too). At Whalers Village (which is an outside shopping mall) there are two restaurants with bars.[/quote']

OP is on POA, docking in Kahalui. Want to further explain a taxi ride from Kahalui to Ka'anapali, and the fact it would a minimum 45 minutes...huge cost?

I would rent a car and drive to Kapalua Beach in NW Maui. There is a large parking lot and restrooms. It's an hour from Kahului but it's an easy drive and scenic. You could spend the day at the beach, as well as walk the Kapalua Coastal Trail which begins right there. Then you could eat at Plantation House or Pineapple Grill for lunch and at 3:00, go snag a table at the Point Bar at Merriman's for happy hour and sunset.

We are looking at this cruise for next fall and this would be what we do.

Nearby Napili Bay would also be an option. It's another beautiful bay and the Sea House is right there and also has a great happy hour.

A little closer still would be Kaanapali Beach which is a long stretch of beach in west Maui fronted by resorts. Hula Grill and Leilani's are popular places to eat. You could souvenir shop at Whaler's Village. You could watch the sunset and cliff diving ceremony at the Cliff Dive Grill at the Sheraton.

South Maui where Wailea beach is would be a bit closer to Kahului, about a 35 minute drive. There is also a beach path which has nice scenery and provides a paved walking path to visit some of the other nearby beaches. I really love the nearby Ulua and Mokapu beaches, probably even more than Wailea beach, which can be crowded during peak season. Good places to eat there are Monkeypod in Shops at Wailea or happy hour at Gannon's which is also a nice place to watch the sunset and has golf course views.

Closer still would be the Kamaole beach parks in Kihei/south Maui which are popular beaches with facilities and plenty of parking. Be sure to drive into town for fish tacos at Coconut's and shave ice at Ululani's! You could drive a little further south to Wailea and watch the sunset on Polo beach and then go have a drink at the Fairmont or Four Seasons (keeping your drive back to the ship in mind of course!).

Any of these would be a great beach day in Maui. You could stop at any of the nearby Snorkel Bob's and rent beach chairs for the day. Or pack an old sheet to lay out on the sand and then bring your beach bag and towels and put that on top--that way you don't have to use your towels to lay on and get them all sandy.

Edited by Beachiekeen