Waterproofing a T5

I recently purchased a Canon Rebel T5, and plan on taking it on my next cruise.

I'd really like to take it on some water based excursions, but cannot find a single waterproof housing besides a universal bag. This surprises me, considering the popularity of this model camera.

Has anyone used any waterpoof bags for their camera? How did it work, was the camera safe? Did it still take good photos?

I'm looking into a Dicapac brand bag.

I recently purchased a Canon Rebel T5, and plan on taking it on my next cruise.

I'd really like to take it on some water based excursions, but cannot find a single waterproof housing besides a universal bag. This surprises me, considering the popularity of this model camera.

Has anyone used any waterpoof bags for their camera? How did it work, was the camera safe? Did it still take good photos?

I'm looking into a Dicapac brand bag.

Waterproof housings are available for a T5:

https://www.amazon.com/Ikelite-6872-12-Underwater-Housing-Cameras/dp/B00LPHH4C4

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1059899-REG/nimar_ni3dc1200_3d_underwater_housing_for.html

Unless you're seriously into SCUBA, that may not be a great option...unless you have the kind of money that would make many of us want to hang out with you. :)

Instead, you may want to consider a good waterproof P&S for water excursions.

Dave

Edited by pierces

I'd be sure to test out any pouch in a pool before you go. Make sure not only that you can work the controls but that it can extend the lens. More than a couple feet of water depth may be problematic depending on how sensitive the lens-extension motor is to pushback. Granted, 5ft water depth is only 2psi, but will the camera push its lens out against that?

Facing a similar situation last year, I bought an Olympus TG4 waterproof camera. The main selling point for me was that it was the only one I saw that supported RAW format. Loved it when snorkeling, but it's also been really nice having a camera I could take to pool, lake, beach, or water-park without a care. Just need to remember to rinse it off with fresh water after it's been in chlorine or salt water.

• 4 months later...
I recently purchased a Canon Rebel T5, and plan on taking it on my next cruise. I'd really like to take it on some water based excursions, but cannot find a single waterproof housing besides a universal bag. This surprises me, considering the popularity of this model camera.

Popular, perhaps. But the mere nature of interchangeable lenses, and the fact that most lenses a T5 owner would buy will all telescope to zoom (and may telescope to focus) makes the bag/housing very difficult to make such that it's versatile enough to sell.