excursions in Mazatlan??

riffatsea

Hi,

We are supposed to be on a Carnival cruise finally stopping again(yay!) in Mazatlan on March 31,2015.

So far there are excursions listed for our other ports but none yet for Mazatlan.

I am wondering if any of the other Carnival cruises list Mazatlan excursions ?:confused:

I know we can do things ourselves. We are quite comfy in Mexico on our own but was still wondering about what has been arranged in that port through the ship.

We enjoyed Stone Island. It is a short walk down the road outside the cruise terminal and you take a small boat over. Great beach, lots of small food shacks, great shrimp. We enjoyed our beach day there, but, it has been quite a few years since we were there.

Also, El Cid has a nice all inclusive at one of their properties. They have a wonderful pool and they are right on the beach.

I hope this helps.

I have a Nov. 22nd. cruise an no excursions are listed for us either. But my Nov. 29th cruise doesn't have any of the excursions fixed yet. Since Carnival had their itinerary changes they haven't seemed to straighten out their excursions. For Mazatlan you can try this site. I have used them acouple of times. Love the Catamaran to Deer Island. Great lunch and if your lucky the local guy who is selling coconuts their has caught some lobster that morning. OMG the best lobster ever, it was $10 a plate, YUMMY!

http://www.mazatlantours.org/

Have a great cruise. I know we will, LOL

Thanks for answering!

My cruise has excursions listed for Cabo and Puerto Vallarta and of course my lovely FTTF for the home port in Long Beach but nothing for Mazatlan.

I had just wondered if any of the other cruises had any Mazatlan excursions listed but I guess they haven't arranged them yet.

We may well arrange something ourselves or just go back into the main square area as we have done before but had wondered what was holding up the ship's plans?

I guess we'll just have to wait and see!:rolleyes:

Thanks for answering!

My cruise has excursions listed for Cabo and Puerto Vallarta and of course my lovely FTTF for the home port in Long Beach but nothing for Mazatlan.

I had just wondered if any of the other cruises had any Mazatlan excursions listed but I guess they haven't arranged them yet.

We may well arrange something ourselves or just go back into the main square area as we have done before but had wondered what was holding up the ship's plans?

I guess we'll just have to wait and see!:rolleyes:

Don't worry about pre-booking tours at Mazatlan. The Pulmonia taxis are plentiful and have good prices. Just find a driver who speaks English and tell him where you want to go and what you want to see.

We usually go over the big hill and to the malecon, then have them stop at the mercado for a while. They take us to the water taxi terminal and we release the taxi and get a water taxi to Stone Island for about three dollars round trip. The walk back to the port is about three or four blocks from the water taxi.

Thanks! I know about the pulmonias and we might just go to the lighthouse that we haven't been to on previous ships . I will probably not book an excursion BUT I am curious about what the ship will offer to others?

I am concerned that nothing is listed and we are still scheduled to go there. I am happy they are going back to Mazatlan but I'd feel more secure about the itinerary if I saw excursions listed!!

Thanks! I know about the pulmonias and we might just go to the lighthouse that we haven't been to on previous ships . I will probably not book an excursion BUT I am curious about what the ship will offer to others?

I am concerned that nothing is listed and we are still scheduled to go there. I am happy they are going back to Mazatlan but I'd feel more secure about the itinerary if I saw excursions listed!!

We are going on Crown Princess in Nov and the following shore excursions are listed for Mazatlan

Panoramic City Tour & Folkloric Show

Shopping, Resort, Beach & Lunch

Mazatlan City Highlights Express

Stone Island Beach Break

Huana Coa Zip Line Adventure

Mazatlan Sportfishing

Panoramic Hiking Views to El Faro Lighthouse

Salsa Making & Salsa Dancing Class

Old Mazatlan: Plaza, Theater & Cathedral

Mazatlan's Pacifico Brewery Tour

Estuary Cruise & Tropical Birds

Hope this will help.

We haven't decided yet what we are going to do at each port. I will appreciate any recommendations as this is our first cruise. I am traveling with friends 15 people in the group including 7 kids (2 to 12 years of age).

We are thinking to do swim with dolphins in Puerto Vallarta and snorkeling at Cabo San Lucus as I heard beaches are nice at Cabo.

Thanks, Pendu

Thanks penduboy! Perhaps Carnival will offer similar ones.

It's funny but we were going to go to the lighthouse on our own so I'd be interested to see just what that tour is offering.

We tend to do most ports on our own as we are quite comfy in Mexico but we haven't been to Mazatlan in quite a while!

I am not sure of the ocean temps in November?

We go in the spring when it is warmer. I might suggest some land activities instead of all the ocean/swimming ones you have planned. Perhaps ask or do some research about that in the Mexico forums on Trip Advisor(sister web site to this one)

Thanks penduboy! Perhaps Carnival will offer similar ones.

It's funny but we were going to go to the lighthouse on our own so I'd be interested to see just what that tour is offering.

We tend to do most ports on our own as we are quite comfy in Mexico but we haven't been to Mazatlan in quite a while!

I am not sure of the ocean temps in November?

We go in the spring when it is warmer. I might suggest some land activities instead of all the ocean/swimming ones you have planned. Perhaps ask or do some research about that in the Mexico forums on Trip Advisor(sister web site to this one)

Here is the lighthouse tour overview from princess website:

Lace up your hiking shoes for an invigorating, half-day tour that explores the beautiful scenery of Mazatlan and visits one of its most beloved landmarks.

A quick ride brings you to the foot of Cerro del Creston or El Creston Hill for a photo opportunity. Interestingly, Cerro del Creston was actually once an island but evolved into the southernmost hill in the city.

From here you'll embark on a walk to the top, a 30-60 minute climb. There is much to see as you meander along the winding trail, a nature lover's dream. Keep an eye out for iguanas scurrying along the path, tropical birds singing from the trees, exotic butterflies and a colorful variety of indigenous cacti and blooming flowers.

Your efforts are rewarded with panoramic vistas and the delightful sight of Mazatlan's classic landmark, the El Faro Lighthouse. Perched 515 feet above the sparking blue Pacific, El Faro is the highest natural working lighthouse in the world, and at night, its beam reaches over 30 nautical miles.

The lighthouse had rather humble beginnings. In 1828, fires were lit at the top of the hill, fueled by whale oil and coconut chips. As they burned through the night, they helped ships find port and served as a rudimentary navigational beacon. The lighthouse was officially constructed in 1879, with a lamp fabricated in Paris. The bright light could be seen from quite a distance, but because it did not rotate, it was frequently mistaken for a star. In 1905, a revolving light was fashioned, and today a 1,000-watt bulb, magnified by a Fresnel lens, powers it. Believe it or not, the light is said to be the equivalent of 600,000 burning candles!

The views from the top of the hill are picture-perfect and widely considered to be the best in Mazatlan. Here you will have 45 minutes to relax, enjoy a complimentary beverage and take photos before starting the trek down.

Back on the transportation, relax and enjoy a 25-minute scenic ride that takes you past Mazatlan's Centro Historico (Historic Downtown). Travel back through history as Plazuela Machado, the city's original main square, comes alive with its charming shops and cafes. Notice the architecture, referred to as tropical neoclassical, an eclectic mix of Spanish, French, German and British influences. Nearby, the original town hall and the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception, a city landmark built in 1890, stand proudly on the Plazuela Republica.

Your wonderful day concludes back at the port, but not before a camera full of breathtaking pictures to make all of your friends and family envious back home.

Thanks for pointing out water temp in Nov. I never thought about that. I heard that it says warm throughout the year. But I will look into your suggested forums and look into land activities.

Regards, Pendu

Thanks for your extra info.

We'll not book that tour but we may get close to the lighthouse for views.

Trip Advisor is my go to resource for all land vacations/information etc.

Several of the officers from the NCL Star used to hike from the port to the lighthouse every trip for exercise. I made the hike with them a few times, but Stone Island and a cold Pacifico or two seemed like a better alternative to me !!

On one visit, we walked the approximately one mile to the Pacifico/Corona brewery, where we were given a very inclusive tour, followed by a beer at the "top of the tower" lounge. They also gave each of us a small momento brochure with our picture included. Cost ..........zero, plus some good exercise.

In a prior visit, we just walked to the cathedral for a self-tour, followed by some local window shopping.

On another trip we walked westerly out of the dock area (crossing the divided road just outside the dock). We just headed southwest to the hill that we could see about 1/2 mile away. It got much less crowded immediately. We walked past two of three schools that were in session, encountering the old custom house. We then walked southerly to the end of the port area (only a couple of blocks), until we found the surf zone of the coast. Very scenic. Nice homes on the hillside. We then followed the coast road around the hill to the old town of Mazatlan. A nice art museum, museum of archeology, internet cafes, non-expensive restaurants and bars. We bought some jewelry; and, then had a couple of 15 peso beers before walking back to the ship. There was much more to see in that area that we didn't have time to visit.

If it hasn't changed, there should be a stand selling tickets for a tour as you go through the pier shops. We had an open air bus and went all around, stopping in the Golden Zone, at the divers, and at the top of the tall hill to the west of the pier.

If it hasn't changed, there should be a stand selling tickets for a tour as you go through the pier shops. We had an open air bus and went all around, stopping in the Golden Zone, at the divers, and at the top of the tall hill to the west of the pier.

The Pulmonia drivers offer about the same type of tour and will adjust the route to suit your desires. They can handle about four people comfortably. Their prices are usually pretty reasonable.

Since Carnival hasn't sailed to Mazatlan for a long time it could be they are still finalizing contracts with the tour operators there. I would imagine you will see tours soon. I can't imagine Carnival would forego shore excursion money!:eek:

You might also google Mazatlan Frank. I understand he may be back doing tours. My sister, friend, and I toured with him in 2008. It was one of those perfect port days. Our tour gave me such an appreciation for Mazatlan.

Edited by MichelleinOC

• 2 weeks later...
We are going on Crown Princess in Nov and the following shore excursions are listed for Mazatlan

Thanks, Pendu

Hi Pendu!

Which sailing are you on? There are "roll calls" for every sailing. There are many of us on the Nov 15-22 sailing on Crown Princess. If you haven't done so, check out the roll call tool to find your sailing. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Also, El Cid has a nice all inclusive at one of their properties. They have a wonderful pool and they are right on the beach.

Does anybody know which "El Cid" property this is? I'm finding a bunch of "El Cids" in Mazatlan.

We want an all-inclusive, preferably on a nice beach. :)

• 4 months later...

Is anyone else having issues trying to book an excursion for Mazatlan on Carnival.com? I keep getting the little towel animal saying they are working on the site. I've picked a few excursions, and all of them have the same thing.

• 11 months later...

Dec 2015. Took Visa Tours in Mazatlán. Not good. They said not enough people to go where we had booked and offered us another tour. We had little choice. It was to La Noria Tequila place and a leather shop (1 man) in a very small town. More of a sales tour. The only good thing was the lunch stop in a small place on the side of the road. Quite a good stew/soup.

Also they take you to a central meeting point to gather with people from hotels (which took 20 minutes!). And of course had to come back to stop a hotels first. Too much driving around and not real interesting stops. I would give it a 1-2 on a scale of 5.

Suzanna was ok guide. A bit loud and too much talk. Friendly however.

They should have emailed me when they knew they would not go to the place we wanted to go to (and had confirmed a month prior).

Is anyone else having issues trying to book an excursion for Mazatlan on Carnival.com? I keep getting the little towel animal saying they are working on the site. I've picked a few excursions, and all of them have the same thing.

just tried it for our cruise (2/27 sailing) and was able to add it to the cart and make it to the checkout screen (before deleting the excursion) :)

Seems there are always lots of glitches with Carnival's site, so perhaps that was the problem. Or (you didn't mention how far out your sailing is), maybe the date is far enough out that they haven't loaded the excursions yet. I've had that happen in the past.

• 10 months later...
Does anybody know which "El Cid" property this is? I'm finding a bunch of "El Cids" in Mazatlan.

We want an all-inclusive, preferably on a nice beach. :)

I'm trying to figure this out as well. I wrote them on their Facebook page and asked them for some info. I'll come back and update for you!