Copenhagen--after cruise

cantdance

We are taking the HAL Highlands and fjords cruise next summer (June 22-July 4) out of Copenhagen. Was wondering about flying in or out of another city to a) possibly save airfare costs and b) being able to add on another location to extend trip.

For example we were thinking of flying in or out or both of London few days earlier and then taking a air shuttle over to Copenhagen. That way we can have a few extra days to play.

I am sure we are not the first people to have thought of this so I was wondering if any of you had suggestions? tips? advice? Like cities to pick with good options for quick travel to Copenhagen.

PS We are planning on spending extra time in Denmark already.

Thanks in advance

You might look at Icelandair's Stopover program. We used the program this year and enjoyed 4 days in Iceland on our return from the same cruise.

We did that stopover on our last TA. It was great. I agree.

I was just wondering about the logistics of say staying in London for example. Is there a cheepy shuttle that might make it reasonable to do an add-on.

You mean an air plane flight? If yes, again, a little research is required. RyanAir is very inexpensive...of course you pay for everything added to the flight. Bag check, seat assignment, the air you breathe...

Look at flying out of London City airport to CPH..a little easier to get to.

Europe is not cheap. If price is a serious restriction, that might kill the deal.

We did the Iceland stopover this year on our way to Copenhagen. We've also done a Paris stopover on our way to Rome. You really just have to explore your options to find the best combination that works for you as far as timing and price. If you fly out of Tampa or Orlando, IcelandAir is going to be competitive, if not the best price.

As for tips:

-Pay attention to luggage size and weight limits and costs for whatever airlines you look at and do this BEFORE booking. Pack accordingly.

-Do enough advance planning to know what you want to see in any stopover cities and know which attractions need to be pre-booked.

-Irrespective of what the airline allows, try and travel with minimal luggage. Hauling two suitcases plus a carry on around Europe becomes dreadful after the third or fourth transfer between airport, hotel, taxi, etc. Minimize as much as you can.

Irrespective of what the airline allows, try and travel with minimal luggage. Hauling two suitcases plus a carry on around Europe becomes dreadful after the third or fourth transfer between airport, hotel, taxi, etc. Minimize as much as you can.

LOL. This is really one of those things that weighs against a stopover city. Every time I heed advice to pack lightly, I always regret it. I spent one whole spring cruise looking in vain for a decent coat and freezing in the process. Someday I may learn to do it because in theory it is great advice, but I am really fond of having choices and being able to change clothes regularly. It is one of the great things about cruising--I just need to get my stuff on board.

Also, consider doing an open jaw or multi-city booking. That means you fly into one city and out of another. Thus, if your cruise begins and ends in Copenhagen, you could initially fly from your home to London for a few days of sightseeing, then fly from London to Copenhagen and, at the end of your cruise, fly from Copenhagen back home. You avoid the time and trouble of going back to London for a round trip ticket.

Multi-city bookings often cost no more (or even cost less) than round trip bookings.

• 4 weeks later...
We are taking the HAL Highlands and fjords cruise next summer (June 22-July 4) out of Copenhagen. Was wondering about flying in or out of another city to a) possibly save airfare costs and b) being able to add on another location to extend trip.

For example we were thinking of flying in or out or both of London few days earlier and then taking a air shuttle over to Copenhagen. That way we can have a few extra days to play.

I am sure we are not the first people to have thought of this so I was wondering if any of you had suggestions? tips? advice? Like cities to pick with good options for quick travel to Copenhagen.

PS We are planning on spending extra time in Denmark already.

Thanks in advance

We are doing exactly this plan next August, precruise. We are flying from Seattle to Oslo, spending three days in Oslo, departing the third afternoon from downtown Oslo on the overnight DFDS Seaways ferry, arriving Copenhagen very near the Langelinie cruise ship dock the next morning. We did this same trip in reverse on a land based trip a few years ago and found the overnight ferry to have good accommodations and great cruising scenery. The ferry is more like a cruising ship, with restaurant, lounges, stateroom choices, etc. Stateroom reservations can be booked in advance, both directly with DFDS or through European ferry booking websites. We used

https://www.aferry.co.uk/

We are booked on a Baltic cruise next September that ends in Copenhagen. We are staying overnight in Copenhagen and then flying to Paris for a few days. The flight to Paris was very reasonable ($146 for both of us with a checked bag each) and there were so many more flight options (and less expensive) for our flight back to New York.

We are doing a baltic cruise in June 2017 and I booked an open jaw ticket into Amsterdam and out of Copenhagen. The flight between Amsterdam and Copenhagen cost $A125 including luggage so around $US100. I always like to add on an extra destination if time permits and have found open jaw tickets to cost no more that a standard return ticket - the trick is to pick two destinations served by the same airline.

• 3 weeks later...
We are doing a baltic cruise in June 2017 and I booked an open jaw ticket into Amsterdam and out of Copenhagen. The flight between Amsterdam and Copenhagen cost $A125 including luggage so around $US100. I always like to add on an extra destination if time permits and have found open jaw tickets to cost no more that a standard return ticket - the trick is to pick two destinations served by the same airline.

That sounds perfect. Thanks so much for the tip.

Norwegian also fly´s to Copenhagen from LAX, Las Vegas, Orlando, Fort Lauderdale, JFK and Boston (only during the summer season) and from next year also Oakland.

So no need for a stopover in Oslo/Stockholm etc unless you want to visit these cities.

SAS is slightly more expensive but sometimes has good deals and fly´s directly to Copenhagen from San Franscisco, Chicago, New York (Newark) Boston and Miami.

Its pretty easy to do these days, airlines are getting flexible with flying into one city in Europe but out of another for more or less the same cost, add in a stopover if your on a long haul flight and your getting 3 stops to enjoy, we Just booked flights from Sydney with Emirates and fly into Copenhagen but out of London, cost is about the same as a return to either city, we just had to book and pay separately the one way flight from Copenhagen to London, and there are plenty of airlines with regular flights, SAS was only A$90 (US$70) for a non refundable fare, not going until May but snapped that deal up quickly as it also included baggage.

We have 2 days in Copenhagen then a 7 day Norwegian Fjords cruise on Serenade of the Seas, fly to London, 10 days in the UK, then 2 nights in Dubai on the way back to Sydney

Edited by Hammer61

• 3 weeks later...

We're going to Ireland before our cruise. Flying into Shannon airport, pick up our rental car, go to the Cliffs of Moher, and drive up to Northern Ireland, then return the car to Dublin. Airfare from Dublin to Copenhagen is only $54 pp.