If you want College Football, NASCAR, choose another line!

aliciag640

We were on the Norwegian Jade over Thanksgiving 2016. Enjoyed food, fitness center, and ports (although would have liked more time in Belize so there would be time to visit mainland), but last day at sea "jaded" our trip. Why? NCL refuses to pay for NCAA broadcasts, but broadcasts European sports 24/7. Big Problem was that the Saturday after Thanksgiving (Rivalry Weekend) was our sea day and NCL crew harrassed anyone trying to set up private NCAA football viewing parties (Ohio State-Michigan, Alabama-Auburn, Florida-FSU). They would not listen to any arguments that the games were on Broadcast Networks (CBS, ABC). During the last game, the Cruise Director pulled the plug in the middle of the 2nd quarter. The party of 75+ was trying to watch UF-FSU on a tiny laptop screen. He accused a group of passionate and inebriated fans of misappropriating NCL equipment. This resulted in a brawl. NCL could have made piles of money if they charged passengers for "pay per view" for those games. Fans would have paid whatever it cost. There wasn't enough bandwidth on ship for everyone to stream the games, fans had to share.

We were on the Norwegian Jade over Thanksgiving 2016. Enjoyed food, fitness center, and ports (although would have liked more time in Belize so there would be time to visit mainland), but last day at sea "jaded" our trip. Why? NCL refuses to pay for NCAA broadcasts, but broadcasts European sports 24/7. Big Problem was that the Saturday after Thanksgiving (Rivalry Weekend) was our sea day and NCL crew harrassed anyone trying to set up private NCAA football viewing parties (Ohio State-Michigan, Alabama-Auburn, Florida-FSU). They would not listen to any arguments that the games were on Broadcast Networks (CBS, ABC). During the last game, the Cruise Director pulled the plug in the middle of the 2nd quarter. The party of 75+ was trying to watch UF-FSU on a tiny laptop screen. He accused a group of passionate and inebriated fans of misappropriating NCL equipment. This resulted in a brawl. NCL could have made piles of money if they charged passengers for "pay per view" for those games. Fans would have paid whatever it cost. There wasn't enough bandwidth on ship for everyone to stream the games, fans had to share.

Based on your description, it is obvious that you and your group were exhibiting inappropriate behavior that drove the cruise staff to have to "break it up". Probably resulted in sufficient complaints from other cruisers that the cruise staff had to take action. Your own fault.

Sounds like the CD waited too long to pull the plug. I'm a huge football fan, youth, HS, College and pro. I could only imagine what the crowd was like...75 UBP'ers standing around a lap top? Your viewing party was not private if you were in the public areas. Sounds like a frat party.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sounds like the CD waited too long to pull the plug. I'm a huge football fan, youth, HS, College and pro. I could only imagine what the crowd was like...75 UBP'ers standing around a lap top? Your viewing party was not private if you were in the public areas. Sounds like a frat party.

It also could be related to licensing issues. Copyright laws have gotten bad. Just remember you could get sued just for playing over the air radio on a company overhead speakers if you don't pay for that right.

Now add that to redistributing it out of the country.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

Luckily for us, we are not football fans. Can't imagine the complaints they would have gotten about 75 drunk fans screaming while clogging one public area while they tried to crowd around a small screen. Think anyone who chose to watch it privately in their room would have been fine.

You and your group will not be missed.

It also could be related to licensing issues. Copyright laws have gotten bad. Just remember you could get sued just for playing over the air radio on a company overhead speakers if you don't pay for that right.

Exactly.

I think it is nice that you joined Cruise Critic just to post this. Too bad you didn't join PRIOR to the cruise. Oh, well...:rolleyes:

Hopefully, this is "lesson learned": When there is something on television that you HAVE to watch, don't schedule yourself to be out of the country on a cruise ship where you have no control over the television...stay where you can actually watch broadcast TV.

I don't know of any mass market line that provides sports access to American sporting events. This is nothing to do with NCL, and everything to do with the passengers lack of knowledge about cruising in general.

Copyright laws have not "gotten bad", there have been little change in them in years. They are just being properly enforced.

I don't know of any mass market line that provides sports access to American sporting events. This is nothing to do with NCL, and everything to do with the passengers lack of knowledge about cruising in general.

Yep. The ships don't get charged for pay per view or sports packages like you do at home. They are charged by the number of TV outlets at the location, not the number of outlets that will actually be playing the pay per view. Our ship has only 22 satellite boxes on our account, and we pay several times what a home or even a small sports bar pays for sports packaging.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Other than that how was your cruise?

During my Escape cruise in July they switched off the Wimbledon final after 2 sets. You know what I did? Ordered a cocktail and went and sat in the hot tub.

Pick your battles.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I know college football. And I know how obnoxious some fans act, especially during rivalry week. I also have had personal experiences with the fan bases of all the teams you listed and I'm sure the alcohol was flowing. I think I'll go with the judgement of the Cruise Director in breaking up a large, loud, drunken, disrespectful, obnoxious mob late in the evening, since the UF/FSU game did not even start until 8:00 EST.

If seeing the UF/FSU game is that important to you, my advice is don't take a cruise that week.

And then we have NASCAR Fans...

Oh, yeah...The fact that you think there is something to see on the Belize mainland tells me you are a rookie cruiser. It's not an open port because outside the gates is not a safe or pleasant place for foreigners to be.

Edited by Lido_Deck

No, not a rookie cruiser. Had been on NCL before, and had 4 NCL cruises booked ahead of this one, and expected to at least get ABC and CBS on the ships like other cruise lines have. However, NCL's new corporate leadership is penny pinching and only signed up for NBC, and MSNBC and what they call "channel 60" where they select what sporting events to broadcast. They did broadcast NFL on Thanksgiving day, but missed out on a big business opportunity to charge admission to watch parties on Rivarly weekend. There were hundreds of civilized college grads who would have paid big $ to watch their alma maters play on Nov 26th. Penny wise and pound foolish.

No one, NO ONE is a bigger sports, particularly baseball or football fan than me. But, when you choose to cruise, and I have been on 4 lines, trust me, you may not get things exactly your way.

Last year I was on NCL opening week of baseball and a family member was pitching the Cubs home opener. I didn't leave it to NCL, with MLBTv on my iPhone and I bought the unlimited Internet pass, I was able to watch the game. For me it's about the game, not being with a group of people and getting drunk.

Nobody likes drunks congregating in a public space on a cruise ship. Except for those drunks. Get over it.

Edited by DMH15

No, not a rookie cruiser. Had been on NCL before, and had 4 NCL cruises booked ahead of this one, and expected to at least get ABC and CBS on the ships like other cruise lines have. However, NCL's new corporate leadership is penny pinching and only signed up for NBC, and MSNBC and what they call "channel 60" where they select what sporting events to broadcast. They did broadcast NFL on Thanksgiving day, but missed out on a big business opportunity to charge admission to watch parties on Rivarly weekend. There were hundreds of civilized college grads who would have paid big $ to watch their alma maters play on Nov 26th. Penny wise and pound foolish.

I'd agree the new management is penny pinching but TV programming has changed little, if any, under the new management. It stunk before new management.

I'm a pretty big sports fan who took halloween cruise this year on ncl, during world series.

Sure I would have liked to see the games, but I think my wife liked having us see all the shows and eat dinner together for 7 consecutive days.

Sports will be on the tube when I get back from a cruise. I like unplugging for a week.

That said, ncl could ditch cnbc, msnbc, fox news or BBC. At least 1 or 2, tooooooo much politics. Yawn. Add a travel channel or food channel or Turner owned channel.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

Who goes on a cruise to watch NCAA football anyway? It is one of the lamest non-sports going. You answered your own question when you said you guys started to brawl. All of you should have been locked up in the brig and fined a large sum of money. Passengers like you ruin cruises for the rest of us.

If NCL started charging people to watch sporting events people would NOT be praising the added service, there would be a fifty page thread about NCL nickel and diming, ripping off their loyal customers and threats to change cruise lines.

~ insert eye roll ~

Getting into a brawl CLEARLY indicates that you were not a group of civilized people.