TSA Regular Security Line Bypass in Wheelchair?

Sequim88

Trying to get a sense for how often folks using a wheelchair are re-routed out of the usual security lines for individual (wanding, etc...) screening? Our experience has been that about 80% of the time (and might depend on airport) my wife is diverted around the line - sort of like having Pre-Check. Some airports do have a blue wheelchair sign so we know where to go from the start - others send her through the pre-check line - which, because I have that, I am hoping they will do for an upcoming flight. It's been awhile since we flew together so curious about recent experiences. Thanks.

If she's unable to walk through the screener even by using the TSA cane than being routed to the wheelchair lane ,if there is one ,or being routed through the pre-checked line is pretty much standard operating procedure in about 80-90 % of USA airports.

Edited by xxoocruiser

Not TSA (I'm an Aussie) but I can't go through airport scanners 1/ because of my chair and 2/ because of a nice wee collection of implanted stuff. We always arrive early "just in case" (and usually I'm told I have to check in 30-60 mins before anyway) but I've always found I get spirited away ahead of the main queue to go through security - that said, always takes forever as they've got to do the patdown, I almost always get swabbed for explosives (and buggered if I know what I come into contact with - but I've only had one flight where the swab's not turned up a questionable result on first go...means a repeat). Also always held up as I carry a wee toolkit for my chair - as it more often than not comes back to me with something loose - and unless it's for a medical/mobility device you're prohibited from having tools in carry-on - so means my bag always goes to the naughty pile to be thoroughly checked. (Completely daft IMO...when I think that I'm a knitter, and usually have stainless steel needles on a cable & I reckon I could inflict far more damage with them if I'd a mind to than I could with a 4" long shifter...:rolleyes:)

Not TSA (I'm an Aussie) but I can't go through airport scanners 1/ because of my chair and 2/ because of a nice wee collection of implanted stuff. We always arrive early "just in case" (and usually I'm told I have to check in 30-60 mins before anyway) but I've always found I get spirited away ahead of the main queue to go through security - that said, always takes forever as they've got to do the patdown, I almost always get swabbed for explosives (and buggered if I know what I come into contact with - but I've only had one flight where the swab's not turned up a questionable result on first go...means a repeat). Also always held up as I carry a wee toolkit for my chair - as it more often than not comes back to me with something loose - and unless it's for a medical/mobility device you're prohibited from having tools in carry-on - so means my bag always goes to the naughty pile to be thoroughly checked. (Completely daft IMO...when I think that I'm a knitter, and usually have stainless steel needles on a cable & I reckon I could inflict far more damage with them if I'd a mind to than I could with a 4" long shifter...:rolleyes:)

They don't know what we could do with those needles! In the early days I lost a number of tiny scissors that I loved and forgot to put in the regular luggage. I hope they found a happy home with someone else, but were probably thrown out.

I have flown 4 times in a wheelchair: Denver (twice), Ft. Lauderdale once, DFW once. I have NEVER been taken out of line, I have always had to wait until the line moved up to the screeners. Then (at a minimum) my hip replacement set off the scanners so they had to wand me while they wanded my wheelchair. (I can stand for short periods of time, fortunately.)

because of a nice wee collection of implanted stuff.

There's that too - she has a shoulder replacement, left over bits from an ITB pump long since removed and staples & screws in her leg & foot. Lucky she does not have to strip (so far anyway) to prove the stuff is "inside" and not just under the clothes. Maybe it would be better to just get her Precheck too.

There's that too - she has a shoulder replacement, left over bits from an ITB pump long since removed and staples & screws in her leg & foot. Lucky she does not have to strip (so far anyway) to prove the stuff is "inside" and not just under the clothes. Maybe it would be better to just get her Precheck too.

Does she carry a letter from her doctor just in case? Or even an ID card from when she did have her pump? (Also got an ITB pump here, and spinal stim...always carry the cards for both, not that I've ever been asked to show them...)

The only time we have not had a separate wheelchair line was when we changed planes in Charlotte coming from Mexico. We had to go back out after claiming our luggage, but could put it on a conveyor belt right there to the final destination. However, we then had to take an elevator up to the main terminal and go back through the TSA screening. No wheelchair lines, regular line only. It was very crowded and took a long time.

Not wheelchair bound but sometimes I have difficulties standing in long, slow lines and my cousin (who I travel with) has some lung issues). We decided that Global Entry was our solution. We get all of the PreCheck benefits and depending on where we enter the country we either get to clear customs via a computer kiosk or we get front of line privileges.

Global Entry was only $15 more than PreCheck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Forums mobile app

• 3 weeks later...

Back to report that over Christmas we flew to Minnesota and back and both times both my and her boarding passes printed out with pre-check on them. Not sure if it was because reservations were linked by Alaska Airline or that I noted hers as using a wheelchair. So we both went through the same speedy line - but in her case got the extra wanding and so forth because the shoulder set off the arch.

As for the ITB pump - I think she does still have the card from when she had the pump.

My husband uses a mobility scooter and after having his "tools for the scooter" confiscated many times, he finally got a 4" wrench which we were told would be o.k.

Well....last time we tried to get thru security with it they wanted to take it too. He told them that it was necessary for his scooter, and argued and argued until they finally let him thru with it.

The 4" wrench is certainly less of a threat than knitting needles.

My husband uses a mobility scooter and after having his "tools for the scooter" confiscated many times, he finally got a 4" wrench which we were told would be o.k.

Well....last time we tried to get thru security with it they wanted to take it too. He told them that it was necessary for his scooter, and argued and argued until they finally let him thru with it.

The 4" wrench is certainly less of a threat than knitting needles.

I had the small tool kit for my Travelscoot confiscated in the Delhi airport. All that was in it were alan keys but they insisted they could not stay with the scooter. I now find out that tools for mobility aids should be allowed. Too late to get my tool kit back so I am trying to replace the alan keys.

Edited by mexico8

I had the small tool kit for my Travelscoot confiscated in the Delhi airport. All that was in it were alan keys but they insisted they could not stay with the scooter. I now find out that tools for mobility aids should be allowed. Too late to get my tool kit back so I am trying to replace the alan keys.

Allen keys I've never had an issue with - but it was a tiny wee wrench I'd problems with last time I flew. Get swabbed for explosive residue every time too...guess I must look suss :eek: :D