Getting to the Hypogeum by Bus

We did it. The buses are located at a big circle outside of Valletta. The best way to get there is to go up the tunnel (the entrance is near where the horse carriages are waiting). At the end of the tunnel is a parking deck. There is an elevator that you can ride up. When you get off the buses are a short walk. We took bus 11 to Paola. There are other buses that go there as well, just ask the drivers, they are very helpful. You pay the driver, I think it was 1 €. Once it Paola you really need a good map to help get you to the actual site. It is not very well marked. We had a hand held GPS and it was very helpful. The actual site is inside a house, it doesn't look like a museum or anything. Be sure you have reservations as they are almost always booked up. Several people were turned away when we were there due to no reservation.while you are there, it is only a few blocks to the Tarxien Temples, you might want to check them out as well.

Thanks Kirk for the info. I printed out a map and it looks like the bus number has changed, either 81 or 83. We dock at 2:00 and our reservation is at 3, so I think it would be best to take a cab there and find a bus for the way back.

Thanks for your help.

I had the same issue re: timing of arrival and reservation when I visited. I took a cab. I was glad that I did because the entrance is very nondescript and difficult to locate without knowing exactly where it is.

I don't remember the cost of the taxi, but it wasn't that much.

• 3 months later...
Can anyone give an idea of the cab fare between the port and Hypogeum?

And once finished there, is it an interesting or do-able walk back to the main portion of town?

I believe we paid 15 Euros, but it was some time ago (and from the bus circle, not the port itself).

No, once finished, it is neither an interesting nor doable walk back down to Valletta. I would recommend a detour of only a few blocks to the Tarxien Temples; the people at the Hypogeum will supply directions. From there, it is easy to catch a bus back to Valletta.

We used the bus (both ways) and it helps to print out a street map of the neighborhood as its a few blocks from the bus stop to the Hypogeum. Also be aware that the bus stop for the return bus is in a different location. Since it can be difficult to know where to get off the bus (when you go to the Hypogeum) make sure to tell the driver where you are going...and he, hopefully, will tell you when to get off ).

Hank