St Vincent Beach

JustOxford

Hi, I'm on OV2 on 7th Jan, so looks like you'll be joining halfway through ours!

Last January we got a taxi to a 'nice' beach and ended up on one kind of opposite Youngs Island (can't recall the name). We shared with another family, and I must say the taxi ride was the scariest ride we've ever taken!! To get back we really didn't fancy the taxi again, and took a water taxi - which was worse LOL!!

St. Vincent is a good island to take an organized tour or just stay on the ship. The town where the ships dock is very poor, dirty, nothing to see, hot, smelly (I'm being honest here). St. Vincent as a whole is not ready for cruise passengers. Get out of town on a tour or enjoy a half empty ship.

Hi Kay,

Very interesting comments about Indian Bay Beach. We were in St Vincent a couple of weeks ago and our ship (Island Star) did a trip to that beach, but I and my wife decided to do a taxi there. On arriving, we found we had been dropped off at Villa Beach, so took a 10min walk over a hill to Indian Bay and it may have had a better sandy beach, but other than that there was nothing there. It was difficult to get into the sea because of the waves and there were no facilities, no chairs/umbrellas etc. The tour people were there and all of them got back on the coach as it was so bad.

We took another hike back over the hill back to Villa Beach where it was lovely to swim but we wouldn't pay the sum of US$10 for a sunbed. They had a place to eat and drink and toilet facilities so we were happy.

It took us approx 15mins by taxi, US20 going there for the 2 of us and US$15 on the way back.

I know my neighbouring island well

and if truth be told, St.Vincent simply isn't 'ready' for tourism...not yet. :cool:

St.Vincent's best tourism product isn't on the island itself

- it's that sprinkle of islets to the South..the magical Grenadines!

Spend a week yachting down the Grenadines and you're in heaven.:)

Otherwise...:(

I know my neighbouring island well

and if truth be told, St.Vincent simply isn't 'ready' for tourism...not yet. :cool:

St.Vincent's best tourism product isn't on the island itself

- it's that sprinkle of islets to the South..the magical Grenadines!

Spend a week yachting down the Grenadines and you're in heaven.:)

Otherwise...:(

wow aplmac, thanks for being so scathing about one of my favourite islands! While you are certainly right about the sailing attractions of the Grenadines, the Mainland has MUCH to offer for the traveller who isn't looking for the 'could-be-anywhere' resort experiences that are becoming all too common in the West Indies and around the world. Thanks to comments like yours, I hope to keep 'the real' St. Vincent a secret for a while yet!

Archived