NCL to build two new ships?

roxette

According to an internet sire, NCL are about to order two (or three) new Post Panamax ships from the Meyer Werft (the same that built most of todays NCL ships). The new ships will not be sisters to the Epic, and not as large. But larger than the rest of the fleet.

http://www.cruisecommunity.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3705&catid=910&Itemid=69

I, personally, hope that the new builds will be a mix between the Dawn and the Jewel, the best of both worlds. The atrium from the Dawn, the Great putdoors from the Pearl and so on. And like 30 meters longer and 10 meters wider so they could fit in more pools and such.

Interesting about the potential IPO. Could be a good way for NCL to retire debt as well as beef up capital for new builds and expansion.

It doesn't hurt that CEO's love IPOs because they generally stand to make a fortune off them.

Could also potentially help out Apollo too.

Interesting about the potential IPO. Could be a good way for NCL to retire debt as well as beef up capital for new builds and expansion.

It doesn't hurt that CEO's love IPOs because they generally stand to make a fortune off them.

Could also potentially help out Apollo too.

Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner. Apollo unloads all or a substantial percentage of a losing investment.

I find it hard to imagine an IPO for a consistent money loser like NCL, whose senior secured debt carries near junk bond-like interest rates, would have a lot of investors eagerly lining up to buy in times of a very soft international economy, but who knows.

Just don't use the designers who dreamed up the Epic...it truly looks like the Epic was created from Lego blocks.

I am sure it is fantastic and we cannot wait to go on it, but for $1.2 billion dollars - the same cost as the Oasis of the Seas - they could have created a much sleeker and modern looking ship.

Aesthetically speaking...it's not much of a looker...

I am sure it is fantastic and we cannot wait to go on it, but for $1.2 billion dollars - the same cost as the Oasis of the Seas - they could have created a much sleeker and modern looking ship.

Having been on OASIS and EPIC, it's amazing the cost of the ships is so similar. There is absolutely no comparison. OASIS reeks of quality and attention to detail, with a general arrangement that is groundbreaking (think Central Park, Royal Promenade, and the Boardwalk), while EPIC is fairly traditional. In fact EPIC looked to me like it was built "on the cheap". The finish work and attention to detail were just not there. NCL stuffed everything into as little public space as possible, and every square inch of that ship is filled with rather small cabins.

Just a casual observation and my own personal opinion, but none the that is the impression I got.

Ernie

I read the news right here ion Cruise Critic this morning:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=4079

This is exciting and makes sense because they now have the EPIC learnings to combine with the best features of their smaller, "fan favorite" ships to create the ideal medium/large sized ship with all of the best crusing features as determined by the passengers!

Well...at least that's they way it SHOULD work!

We'll just have to wait and see! :D

I read the news right here ion Cruise Critic this morning:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=4079

This is exciting and makes sense because they now have the EPIC learnings to combine with the best features of their smaller, "fan favorite" ships to create the ideal medium/large sized ship with all of the best crusing features as determined by the passengers!

Well...at least that's they way it SHOULD work!

We'll just have to wait and see! :D

I agree 100%. I truly think NCL missed the mark with EPIC. I applaud them for thinking outside the box, but unfortunately some aspects of EPIC just didn't come out well. The ship had issues from the day she was ordered, with a change of leadership at NCL wanting to make changes, to the second option being canceled at great expense. EPIC itself was far too expensive for the hardware delivered IMO. I think NCL has learned a valuable and expensive lesson with EPIC. It speaks volumes the effort and expense they went through just to ensure a sister to EPIC was not built.

I agree building a larger version of the "fan favorites" and incorporating *some* features of EPIC, and many of the Star/Jewel Class features is the way to go. Perhaps some new features as well for the "wow" factor. I have a feeling this is exactly what we will see, and I think these new ships will more resemble an enlarged Jewel Class (also built at Meyer Werft) than a smaller EPIC.

One thing is for certain, the new ships won't be built in France where EPIC was. ;)

Ernie

I agree on not using azipods any more... great concept but the time has come to move on unless they've got newer versions that have their bearing problems figured out.

Should be interesting to see what features make the transition over from the Epic to these new ships. Some concepts were great but poorly instituted. A nightclub complex would be good topside but together... as it stands now you have to walk all over to go club hopping (Bliss is forward whereas Spice H2O aft).

This has me really excited again!!! Keep the studio design on a smaller scale too NCL! :) Those rooms are so cool looking and can't wait to try them next March on the Epic. :D

Perhaps being a share holder would bring some additional perks ;)

As a shareholder, you would be entitled to a free glass of champagne during embarkation, chocolates on the pillow and a "real" bathroom in your cabin.

Oh wait, I'm sorry that was Freestyle 2.0.....nevermind...

They can build all the cruise ship they want but until they get some new itineraries...I'm so bored....I've tried most of NCL itineraries on the West side of the Atlantic...The Med is way too expensive for basically the same cruise with different itinerary plus trans-Atlantic air. WHY?

The other beef I have with NCL is no matter what ship your on or what the itinerary is all the menu's are the same. Great food but it should vary by ship so you have something different beside the ship.

Why arn't some of these out of date smaller cruise ships being used in the Great Lakes...stops like Quebec City, Montreal, Toronto, Niagara Falls, the world largest Lift locks at Welland Canal then Buffallo, Detroil, Chicago. Now this would be a great itinerary of break it down and make various itineraries from the selection...No end to shore excursions.

Give us something NEW...Hawain food in Hawaii .. dosn't take a rocket sientist...Cod in Cape Cod...Salmon in B.C. Alaska King Crab in ... guess where...don't be so repeticious.

Funny you say that about NCL's itineraries in the Caribbean.... I left Princess (partly) because of their stale itineraries in the Caribbean. NCL gives far more options to trot around in the Caribbean and from different ports than Princess and is also going to ports that are "off the beaten path" where you can still get a feel for the local way of doing things.

St. Thomas is just a shopping mecca with huge amounts of tourists going there all the time. While NCL does call there they also go to other places in the Eastern Caribbean such as Tortola which Princess doesn't go to as frequently.

I hope with these slightly larger new NCL ships that NCL expands their offerings from different homeports all across the Gulf of Mexico and from Florida (more from Port Everglades). :) Either way, the idea of new ships for NCL has me very excited. From the reviews it seems like NCL missed the mark on the EPIC but I will not say that officially from me until I've sailed on her and give her my own review. Hopefully that'll be in March...

Until then BUILD NCL BUILD!!!! :D

They can build all the cruise ship they want but until they get some new itineraries...I'm so bored....I've tried most of NCL itineraries on the West side of the Atlantic...The Med is way too expensive for basically the same cruise with different itinerary plus trans-Atlantic air. WHY?

The other beef I have with NCL is no matter what ship your on or what the itinerary is all the menu's are the same. Great food but it should vary by ship so you have something different beside the ship.

Why arn't some of these out of date smaller cruise ships being used in the Great Lakes...stops like Quebec City, Montreal, Toronto, Niagara Falls, the world largest Lift locks at Welland Canal then Buffallo, Detroil, Chicago. Now this would be a great itinerary of break it down and make various itineraries from the selection...No end to shore excursions.

Give us something NEW...Hawain food in Hawaii .. dosn't take a rocket sientist...Cod in Cape Cod...Salmon in B.C. Alaska King Crab in ... guess where...don't be so repeticious.

Unfortunately, the Welland Canal and many bridges over the St. Lawrence River aren't large enough or high enough for any NCL cruise ships... Don't expect many Panamax sized vessels ever on the Great Lakes... Montreal is about as far south or west as they can go...

A rather bizarre post!

If the Med is basically the same cruise with different itineraries - does that not make all cruises basically the same with different itineraries???

All the menus are the same - this is due to ensuring that suppliers are able to provide consistent, SAFE, foodstuffs. A chef can't just go to a local supplier and find enough consistent quality often enough to satisfy demand.

Out of date smaller cruise ships? Which ships are you thinking of? NCL has a very young fleet and none of the remaining ships are "small".

Archived