Reboarding with Teens

momofcandj

We are planning an AL cruise with Princess July/ Aug 2014 with myself, hubby, 13 yr old, 15 yr old, my parents and possibly my brother & his girlfriend.

When we get off in ports I'm wondering if the teens can get back on without me or my husband? Im not thinking of letting them come and go on their own, lol. But rather with my parents or my brother depending on the excursions we all want to go. I can get a power of atty or whatever if they will need that.

I was just thinking if they all wanted to do something and we wanted to do something else. Part of the fun of having extended family is to let the kids spend time with them.

I just would hate to have them waiting for an hour or something at the pier while we finished something up.

Also will this be an issue in doing the tour? If they show up with grandpa, that should be about the same as with a parent right?

We are planning an AL cruise with Princess July/ Aug 2014 with myself, hubby, 13 yr old, 15 yr old, my parents and possibly my brother & his girlfriend.

When we get off in ports I'm wondering if the teens can get back on without me or my husband? Im not thinking of letting them come and go on their own, lol. But rather with my parents or my brother depending on the excursions we all want to go. I can get a power of atty or whatever if they will need that.

I was just thinking if they all wanted to do something and we wanted to do something else. Part of the fun of having extended family is to let the kids spend time with them.

I just would hate to have them waiting for an hour or something at the pier while we finished something up.

Also will this be an issue in doing the tour? If they show up with grandpa, that should be about the same as with a parent right?

Once on a Mexican Rivera cruise with Carnival, the teens returned to the ship early while we did a bit of shopping at the pier. As long as they had their Sail and Sign card, we were told they would be fine and they were! We walked them to the tender and watched them get on the boat and head toward the ship. It was a bit scary at first but they made it back just fine. They were both showered and relaxing by the time we got back. They were 16 and 13 at the time.

No one cares who your teens will board with (after the initial boarding). They can come and go with anyone as long as their cruise card works. They can even board by themselves. I remember one CC member stating that his kids had issues getting back on board by themselves. They had forgotten something in the cabin, the kids ran back and they weren't allowed to board. Personally I've never had this problem with our extended family... but....

As long as your kids are with adults, there will be no problem.

My kids have also gone back onto the ship on their own when they were teens. Getting back on they only need to show their ship ID. Quite often we have stayed to do a little shopping at the port and the kids just wanted to get back on the ship. We usually find them showered and napping when we get back onboard!

As for getting off the ship, on our last few cruises they have started asking my son who is leaving with if he goes before DH or I. On our last cruise even though he was 17 and over 6 foot tall, since his card said he was under 18 they still asked him. Personally I am glad they did. Of course, he probably could have pointed to any adult and they would have said fine.

In Canada, a few years ago, my 16 and 13 year old were questioned by the Canadian security when they tried to reboard from the Canadian port (I believe it was Halifax) without me. Fortunately, I was close behind, but they asked where their parent/guardian was.

Archived