Room selections

renebfl

Search engine here.

But, in general,depends on price.Do you want top floor or bottom? Balcony or window?

I prefer mid ship, mid floor, with balcony.I try to get as near to Suites as possible(figure best area given to them?).

Try to avoid lowest floor at back of ship,due to increase sound and vibration of engines,etc.

The more you pay,the better the room, of course.;)

As already stated, stay away from the rooms at the very back, too much engine noise and vibration. I prefer the lowest level with just a window...why pay more for a french or full balcony when the weather is too cold to use it. On the other hand, the new Scenic ships like Crystal, have a plexiglass enclosure so that the balcony can be used in all types of weather. I have found I am only in the room to shower, change and sleep and much prefer to spend my time in the lounge area where the views are panoramic rather than only one side of the river. Having said that, my choice were money no object, would be middle deck, mid ship with the plexiglass enclosed balcony.

For a Christmas cruise, my recommendation is to save your money and book the least expensive cabin (this assumes that you do not want the space a suite provides). If you can get a cabin assignment more towards the middle of the ship and away from the laundry room, all the better. Use this savings towards a nice pre-stay or post-stay in Vienna, Prague, Munich, Switzerland, etc.

Keep in mind that for the time of year you are going the sun rises around 8am and sets around 4pm. You'll be out touring from 830am till around 530pm, so rarely in the cabin during daylight hours. Most itineraries (Danube through the Wachau Valley and Rhine through the scenic castle areas) will have half a day scenic cruising. However, I prefer to be in the main lounge and pop up on deck to take photos occasionally.

Once you narrow down the line you want to book on, read all the cruiser reviews for that line here on CC. There are some excellent tips on which cabins/areas of the ship to try to avoid.

Christmas markets cruises are a real treat. However, be aware that once you do one, you'll get hooked and keep going back (we're getting ready for our third Christmas markets cruise).

We tend to book lowest category cabins (aka Aquarium Class) to save money - and cruise more often.

The cabins at the back on the bottom deck tend to be crew quarters - so usually end up more mid-ship when we cruise.

We stayed in the cabin right beside the laundry room when we cruised on the River Queen - and did not find it noisy at all. The laundry room closes at 8 pm.

I would think rooms right outside the dining room would be noisier - especially for breakfast (if you want to sleep in a bit...) Some boats have the dining room on it's own - but there are some where the dining room access is at the end of a corridor - past guest cabins.

Fran

If internet access is important to you, it is better to be closer to the salon on most riverboats. The entry and exit from the ship tend to be close to the salon as well and the dining room is usually below the salon.

Other than that, it is a question of what kind of traveler you are. If you spend a lot of time in your cabin, you may prefer a suite. If you tend to be out and about all the time, you won't care which cabin you have. If you love to take photos from your balcony, obviously you need a cabin with some kind of balcony. I will say that I believe the lower cabins get more noise than the higher cabins. There really is no difference in terms of motion - you won't feel much at all anywhere on the ship compared to an ocean cruise.

Just a note on the "anywhere on a Christmas Cruise", this was not the case on our last one in 2008/2009.

We luckily were mid ships, middle deck, but the poor people in "the hold", ie the lower deck had little sleep due to the crunching of the ice each night while we sailed. We definitely heard the crunching, but it was well below our height, they were obviously a whole deck lower and weren't too happy.

Hope you find a cabin :). I tend to over organise, but I did book my location just over 2 years ago. I know though there were quite a few places still available on AMA several months back.

We have done 4 river cruises. First three we booked at the bottom of the boat and was well pleased. Only spend time in cabin to sleep. Two years ago we upgraded to the A deck and booked a A2 cabin right next to the resturant. It was a Christmas cruise BUT TOO cold to open the French balcony slider. That was a big mistake. A good view but much better on deck even with the cold. My advice - buy on a lower deck and use the savings to buy more gifts (and a few bottle of good German wine). Willard

Can someone give some ideas on how to choose a room on a river cruise. We are planning a Christmas market cruise and would like some input.

We always pick the cheaper cabins on the lower deck. The rooms are the same size, but closer to the water. Frequently, just to be on the next higher deck it can cost $900 more.

Try to pick a cabin that is not close to the bow (front) of the boat. We were awakened by the dropping of the anchor one morning at 3 am when they dropped the anchor.

Just a note on the "anywhere on a Christmas Cruise", this was not the case on our last one in 2008/2009.

We luckily were mid ships, middle deck, but the poor people in "the hold", ie the lower deck had little sleep due to the crunching of the ice each night while we sailed. We definitely heard the crunching, but it was well below our height, they were obviously a whole deck lower and weren't too happy.

Hope you find a cabin :). I tend to over organise, but I did book my location just over 2 years ago. I know though there were quite a few places still available on AMA several months back.

Never thought of the crunching ice. I'm sure these ships are not built as 'ice breakers' so hopefully there would not be much ice to deal with.

Newfirstimer, nor did we! We just wanted a "window" not a porthole, so went for the middle deck - this was our first River Cruise (hooked us though) which is why we are repeating this itinerary in 4 weeks.

Some people were really distressed, but it was way less ont he middle deck. I've never had the $$ to go with the top deck or suites, so couldn't say about those. It was freezing everywhere outside (for a West Australian!), and the ship was on her maiden season and had to go to be "panel beaten" after this last trip of the season. When half the passengers got off after 7 days (we had the 14 day cruise) the lower deckers were moved upstairs complimentary due to to the ice noise.

It's no biggie for me, but I thought worth mentioning if you have not experienced it before :)

Archived