Island Pricess - Where can I get unobstructed canal views?

JimAOk1945

There was a thread (I think it was here on the Panama Canal board but I could be wrong) of places on the Island Princess where guests can go to get unobstructed views of the canal as the ship sails through it. I think it even had pictures.

What I'm wondering is this: Where can we stand in different areas of the ship to get good pictures from different angles (bow, aft, port, starboard)?

I know this has been discussed here before ad nauseam but somehow I lost that thread. Thanks in advance for your help.

They key is to keep moving around and check out the view from all angles. It's different in each spot. Don't be glued to what you think is the "best spot" because there isn't one best spot! At certain points there will be a lot of folks craning their necks at the same place, so go to another vantage point. By the time you get to the final set of locks a lot of folks will be eating, exercising, sleeping, or playing bridge. Chill. Enjoy! You'll get the best pics of anyone because you're moving around ... I know! Of course a few of my "best pics" are from areas ... well ... advantage I guess of giving the play-by-play from the bridge. When you get back share some of your pics here!

Regards, Richard

cropped-panama-037.jpg

cropped-panama-117.jpg

cropped-panama-canal-bridge.jpg

cropped-panama-141.jpg

PS - The passengers on the open deck above the bridge got almost the same shots!

• 2 months later...
JimAOk1945 ... I'll be on ISLAND and look forward to meeting you and other CC folks. I'll show you where to get the best views! Regards, Richard

Hi Richard!

I'll be looking for you! It will be nice to have an expert to help us. This is our first experience with the canal. It has been on my wife' wish list for a long time.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post and reply.

• 2 weeks later...
You HAVE to move around...if you sit in one place, you'll miss 3/4 of the sights!

My wife is a photo-fanatic so we will be moving around a lot. I'm just looking for tips on her behalf. Thanks!

Edited by JimAOk1945

Jim,

I was on the Island Princess for the Panama Canal cruise Sep. 25 - Oct 12. The people who say move around are absolutely correct. Having said that, we were on the Caribe deck and there are doors at the very front and very back of the deck that lead to small balcony areas that allow you to see directly in front of the ship and directly behind. These decks weren't very crowded, and became less so as the day went on, so you could get a good view. And people were very nice about moving aside to allow you to get your pictures. I think there are also doors on the Emerald deck.

Jim,

I was on the Island Princess for the Panama Canal cruise Sep. 25 - Oct 12. The people who say move around are absolutely correct. Having said that, we were on the Caribe deck and there are doors at the very front and very back of the deck that lead to small balcony areas that allow you to see directly in front of the ship and directly behind. These decks weren't very crowded, and became less so as the day went on, so you could get a good view. And people were very nice about moving aside to allow you to get your pictures. I think there are also doors on the Emerald deck.

This is wonderful information. It will make my wife very happy since she is a big photo-fanatic. Thanks so much for taking the time post this great tip!

• 1 month later...
Denise & Sam, Nov 11 - Jan 20 ... sorry I will miss you! Regards, Richard

Too bad. We'll be sailing on February 4th and would love to hear you. We did buy your book for our son for Christmas, and, of course, read it first. The chapter on excursions will be very useful.