Ladies: Have you ever had your hair blow dried in a ship?

Yoli=)

Why in the world would you PAY to have someone "blow dry" your hair????? Now, if it's part of a "shampoo, cut, blow dry"...maybe, but just having someone dry your hair for you?

I don't get it!

That response was a little harsh. When you have frizzy, uncooperative hair, no one gets it straighter and smoother than a professional. I've been blow drying my frizzy hair for 10 years and haven't mastered it yet. As soon as a professional blow dries it, it's like silk and the South Florida humidity doesn't touch it. It's like majic.

I can see why someone would want a blow dry on a cruise, but I have never gotten it done myself.

How was the experience and how much was it?

Did they do a good job??

Thanks

I've always been pleased when I've had my hair done on board. I usually just get a wash and blow dry.

I completely understand why you may want to have this done. Just another "pampering" of ourselves on a cruise! ;)

I had a wash and blow out done on a ship in June. My hair is longer than shoulder length and the charge was about $50 (plus tip). I was happy with the result, but unfortunately the stylist spent a lot of time doing the hard sell (which I am perfectly able to deflect).

I would do it again as a treat.

I've had my hair done a few times on board. Both updo and wash/blowdry. Not only was I pleased with the results, but the products they used allowed my 'do' to stay put for a few days so I didn't have to wash and dry it again myself the day after and it looked just as good. The cost was 45 to 60 dollars depending on what was done. I have also had a blow dry and the stylist suggested using the curling iron (no extra charge) for a whole new look. I loved it.

Thanks so much for everyone response!

cbatsea--Maybe you have naturally straight hair. well newsflash not everyone has pin straight hair. I have curley hair and would love for someone to wash it and then blow it out for the evening. I have frizzy hair and when the salon does it my hair comes out beautiful period.

• Like 1

Why in the world would you PAY to have someone "blow dry" your hair????? Now, if it's part of a "shampoo, cut, blow dry"...maybe, but just having someone dry your hair for you?

I don't get it!

My guess it that you simply take your dryer and blow your hair all over until it's dry.

If that works for you, great.

However, most of us *style* our hair with the blow dryer, and not simply use it as a tool to get our hair from wet to dry.

Most women can't style - or blow dry - their hair as well as a professional can, and so sometimes like to treat themselves to something that's more professional or finished looking.

If someone in your hometown asks you where the best burger places is, do you answer, "Why would you pay for someone to cook you a burger when all you have to do is throw it in a pan?" :p

To the OP, I honestly don't think you can get a good answer here because you can find 10 people here who said they had a great stylist, and then you can go and get the worst one. It's all about the person who's doing it. Perhaps you should go to the salon on the ship and ask them who they recommend for your type of hair, and then spend a minute talking to that person before booking an appointment.

I've had my hair blown out on two different cruiselines, and did it out of laziness. I can blow dry my hair well, but it takes me half and hour and sometimes I just want to sit and let someone else do it. When I came back to the cabin, both times my husband said, that they did it almost as well as I do it myself. 'nuff said, I never had them do it again. But then I know others who rave about how great the stylist was.

Again, it's all about who does it.

• Like 1

I had a cut and blow dry once. Best cut I have ever had! t\The blow out was really good. I have thick frizzy hair and as the previous poster said, it was like silk. The stylist did a much better job than my salon at home does.

Reason enough to never, ever get off the ship! :)

On our last cruise, the arthritis in my neck and shoulder was hurting so much I didn't want to even try to do my hair, or even just blow it dry, called the salon & they were all booked up. :(

So, Yes I have wanted to & might book for formal nights in the future, it would make life much easier.

• 6 years later...
That response was a little harsh. When you have frizzy, uncooperative hair, no one gets it straighter and smoother than a professional. I've been blow drying my frizzy hair for 10 years and haven't mastered it yet. As soon as a professional blow dries it, it's like silk and the South Florida humidity doesn't touch it. It's like majic.

I can see why someone would want a blow dry on a cruise, but I have never gotten it done myself.

I agree, I live in Florida and when I blow dry my hair I look like i stuck my hand in an electric socket, lol, even with pricey hair products but when my hairdresser blow dries it it's silky smooth

I've never had just a pure blow out (I intended to this last time but she talked me into the keratin treatment and I'm actually thrilled with it and when I got home was shocked to see it was cheaper on the ship than salons here), but I usually do some kind of hair treatment that involves them doing a blow out at the end, like phyto or a scalp massage*. My little treat to myself. I've always been really happy, but my experience may be colored by the fact that there is a treatment before.

*I have however noticed that whether or not the blowout was included in the initial price varies, so definitely ask if you're going this route. I'm not sure if this is based on the treatment, the cruise line, or both as I hadn't paid much attention.

I must be in the minority. The one time I got a wash and blow dry on board was one of the worst hair styles of my life. It must have been a failure to communicste. I have loosely curly hair that creates volume easily. I like to take advantage of that. Instead the stylist blew it stick straight and stuck to my head like a skull cap. It looked immediately dirty and heavy. I can't help it. I like a little lift. I'm a GRITS (Girl Raised in the South).

Vicki

I don't get it!

There is an entire chain of salons across the US that focuses just on blow outs. Google Blow Dry Bar.

I would love to go and get my hair blow dried professionally so I didn't have to! I have frizzy hair (thanks humidity) and it's thick and down to my butt :eek:. I've never had it done (cruise, vacation, or at home) unless it was part of getting my hair cut. I agree it always comes out sooo much better than when you do it yourself! I would take the chance.

There is an entire chain of salons across the US that focuses just on blow outs. Google Blow Dry Bar.

Keep in mind that this thread was resurrected from six years ago. I think the first Dry Bar had only just opened when the poster you quoted responded. :D