Oasis vs. Epic: Which Will You Choose?

Which ship will you sail: Oasis or Epic?  

770 members have voted

1. 1. Which ship will you sail: Oasis or Epic?

• Norwegian Epic because it's cheaper
    • Norwegian Epic because I like Freestyle Cruising
    • Oasis of the Seas because it's the biggest
    • Oasis of the Seas because of its radical ship design
    • Either ship, as they both offer new innovations
    • Neither, they're both too expensive
    • I prefer smaller ships
    • I book based on the itinerary, not the ship
    • Something else, which I'll post below

We've checked the fares on the two most innovative ships ever launched and Norwegian Epic's fares are consistently lower than Oasis of the Seas'. But price doesn't tell the whole story... so we want to know, which ship will you choose and why? Please vote in our poll!

Primarily I will be looking for ships that go where I want to go. Once I have run out of ports that I want to visit (if I ever do, and since repeat visits still count as ports I want to visit, that may not ever be), then I'll think about picking cruises for the sake of going on this or that ship.

Been on Oasis and loved it and yes, they have a higher price point especially the Inaugural which was quite expensive. One consulation was the surprise gifts we received everyday. We are booked on the Epic 10/9/10 and we'll know sure enough if the lower price makes a difference in service or quality. What I don't like about the EPIC price structure is the Service Charge VS Gratuities. It appears the SC is shared with all departments and all job categories. I'm trying to find out from NCL sources if this charge is in addition to the gratuities for our steward and dining staff. All in all, they both have their pros and cons and it's just a matter of choice.;):p

I was about to book on the Epic for December (Oasis or Allure too expensive) but we finally changed our minds. We decided to wait about 1 year before taking the Epic. The time for all the issues, problems or other bad things to be resolved. New ships always have their lot of problems.

We cruised with Carnival twice already and decided to go again with them, on the Dream this time, for December. It's much cheaper...

Next year we'll closely look at NCL Epic or even RCL Oasis/Allure if they have good fares.

I'm intrigued by the neighborhood concept and new outside water show on Oasis and Allure. I've always liked the activity-heavy programs on RC. You have so many fun things to see and do.

From reading comments on the boards here, it often appears that freestyle on NCL is based on paying for a lot of those dining choices. But then I can't wait to try NCL sometime anyway to find out what I've been missing.

We had to cancel a cruise on the Pearl once because of a much lower discounted rate on HAL for the same Alaska itinerary. However, we found the entertainment at night on the Zandam too low key for us. But isn't it nice to have so many choices from one line to another; one ship to another? And they just keep on coming.

A big reason I cruise is to be close to the ocean. I hardly ever get a chance to during my normal day to day living. To me, both of these ships minimize the ocean part of cruising, and make the experience more like being at a large hotel, with an amusement park and mall thrown in. I have plenty of those places near my home if that's what I wanted. Might as well go to a land based resort for less money. You won't catch me on one of these monstrosities.

Its beginning to look more and more like it will be Carnival again for me. I will keep looking but the prices on Allure/Oasis for the 3rd guest are too steep and the deluxe balcony/ junior studios on Epic are too strangely configured. So if I don't find a price that works on Allure/Oasis I will hit good old Carnival again... at least it will put me closer to VIP status :p

We are not sold on the NCL Freestyle Concept-like the more traditional concept, but Oasis seems overpriced for now.

The "freestyle" concept is a bit overrated IMHO. :rolleyes: You have to make reservations and pay to dine @ various restaurants. It's not as if you can just walk into most of the entertainment and dining venues at your leisure as NCL advertises.

I've sailed on the Oasis and had a blast! There are more than enough entertainment and dining options available on the Oasis.

I'm just not sure about the Epic. A ship the size of the Freedom class with just as many passengers as the Oasis class just doesnt appeal to me. The neighborhood concept on the Oasis worked great in keeping crowd flow @ an optimal level & the ship is very easy to navigate IMO.

Plus the Epic has "borrowed" many off RCI innovations anyway: LOL:D

• Barber shop
  • Aqua Park
  • Rock climbing wall
  • Tramopline
  • Ice rink

I wish the Epic much success but have no desire to sail on her right now.:)

These two monsters are too big (and ugly in the case of Epic) for us, too many people trying to do the same thing all at once is not going to enhance your cruise experience, we already have reports of lines for venues and not everybody getting in. Same thing at ports with so many passengers on board, that's assuming you get to port as the large size of these ships will make them vulnerable to anything more than a slight breeze preventing docking.

There are also many examples of design over ruling practicality on these ships, the split toilet and washing facilities on Epic take some believing and go against basic hygiene requirements. Shame the designers of Epic did not pay the same attention to the outside of the ship, what an ugly beast it is which is such a shame as the standard NCL ships are some of the nicest looking ones in our opinion.

In summary not for us mainly due to too many people in the same place, we also find these ships aesthetically displeasing with some questionable design features. We are also sure that some will absolutely love these ships.

The "freestyle" concept is a bit overrated IMHO. :rolleyes: You have to make reservations and pay to dine @ various restaurants. It's not as if you can just walk into most of the entertainment and dining venues at your leisure as NCL advertises.

I've sailed on the Oasis and had a blast! There are more than enough entertainment and dining options available on the Oasis.

I'm just not sure about the Epic. A ship the size of the Freedom class with just as many passengers as the Oasis class just doesnt appeal to me. The neighborhood concept on the Oasis worked great in keeping crowd flow @ an optimal level & the ship is very easy to navigate IMO.

Plus the Epic has "borrowed" many off RCI innovations anyway: LOL:D

• Barber shop
  • Aqua Park
  • Rock climbing wall
  • Tramopline
  • Ice rink

I wish the Epic much success but have no desire to sail on her right now.:)

Ice Rink? Dont think there is one on epic.

...we already have reports of lines for venues and not everybody getting in.

Oasis has set up a system of reserving show times. You can do it several months in advance of the cruise. Instead of having one main show in the evening like msot cruises, they have 4 or 5. On their website, you choose between the ice show, Aqua Theater show, production shows, stand-up comedy, and the main show, Hairspray....all of which are in different venues. The reservation idea was met with some resistence at first, but it is proving to be a great idea if everyone uses it properly. It disperses crowds and prevents over crowding in any one venue.

Absolutely NO interest in cruising on a ship as huge as those 2 beasts are. Too much "entertainment stuff" ..... but not a lot of class, IMO.

Besides, who'd want to be stuck on a ship with a small city's worth of people.

Archived