Is Concierge Class Worth it if you are Elite?

hovank

I am debating whether to book a Concierge Class GTY (that is all available) versus the Veranda GTY I currently have. I am Elite so I am not sure if the benefits are worth the costs difference. Are the Concierge Class Rooms much larger? And input would be greatly appreciated. We are sailing on Reflection for New Year's Eve.

I am debating whether to book a Concierge Class GTY (that is all available) versus the Veranda GTY I currently have. I am Elite so I am not sure if the benefits are worth the costs difference. Are the Concierge Class Rooms much larger? And input would be greatly appreciated. We are sailing on Reflection for New Year's Eve.

On the Reflection, rooms are exactly the same size so there is no advantage. If you were on an M class ship, there is a difference. The only advantage is location but since you are doing a guarantee, that may be a moot point.

The benefits in my opinion are really a lot of hype. For example, they mention a concierge which they do get but they don't mention the concierge is available to everyone on the ship. The boarding perk is simply a separate line, often the regular lines can be quicker but since you are Elite that is a moot point also. Most of the perks are superfluous or available to others. If you go back and check previous threads you will find that most on this board think the same way.

I would say if the price is reasonable go for it but I would not spend a lot of money. The real upgrade is going to Aqua which sometimes can be had for a decent amount of money above veranda.

you will probably get ten different answers to this question. My answer is "no" it is not worth it. On most ships, its the exact same balcony cabin. There are a few "amenities" but to me, not worth the expense. In the least. The perks you get as Elite **far** outweigh the CC. Sometimes CC might be in a slightly better location, thats about it, or on a ship or two may be a foot or two larger (??). No big deal.

Also, when I've done GTY Verandah, a time or two when they assigned the cabin I've gotten Concierge Class anyway.

But my two cents: not worth it.

Edited by ATLfuzzy

Many months ago, I asked the same question. I was told that you could be assigned an obstructed view balcony on deck six with the veranda guarantee. The concierge balcony guarantee would not obstructed. Not sure if that matters and what the price difference is, but just passing this along. I am only going on my second Celebrity cruise so I am far from an expert.

Until the new 123 all-inclusive offer that provides all 3 perks to Concierge cabins and greater, I'd say save the money and go veranda, and spend the extra money on on board spend, or spend a bit more for Aqua. Now however, so long as your sailing is covered under the 123 promo, I'd say take Concierge.

But I do feel the "perks" they talk about are mostly marketing gimmicks to give "perceived" value with no real tangible benefits you can't get from most any cabin on the ship if you just ask.

Assuming a 7 night sailing, and that you already have a cabin reservation that included the prior 123 and you chose beverage package, the all inclusive perks add $300 OBC and $12.50 x 7 days x 2 people = $175 to pay gratuities or $475 in extra value.

Assuming you can switch to a concierge for $475 or less total from your current cabin, it's a win. If you have no beverage package currently, that adds a whole lot more value for 2 people, another $750 or so.

OPPS just realized you are sailing this year, so the new 123 doesn't apply to you. So keep your Veranda unless you find a concierge for a great deal.

Edited by cle-guy

It is worth it to us - but only if the price in fairly small. We are Elite and have a CC cabin on our upcoming cruise mainly for the foot stools and the expanded breakfast menu. Otherwise the other benefits, other than location, are not worth a whole lot to us.

But, for someone that spends a lot of time on the balcony and has breakfast room service almost every day these extras are worth it.

Again, you didn't mention cost so no idea if it is worth it for your cruise but when I booked it was about $100 for a 10 day cruise.

Duane

Until the new 123 all-inclusive offer that provides all 3 perks to Concierge cabins and greater, I'd say save the money and go veranda, and spend the extra money on on board spend, or spend a bit more for Aqua. Now however, so long as your sailing is covered under the 123 promo, I'd say take Concierge.

But I do feel the "perks" they talk about are mostly marketing gimmicks to give "perceived" value with no real tangible benefits you can't get from most any cabin on the ship if you just ask.

Assuming a 7 night sailing, and that you already have a cabin reservation that included the prior 123 and you chose beverage package, the all inclusive perks add $300 OBC and $12.50 x 7 days x 2 people = $175 to pay gratuities or $475 in extra value.

Assuming you can switch to a concierge for $475 or less total from your current cabin, it's a win. If you have no beverage package currently, that adds a whole lot more value for 2 people, another $750 or so.

OPPS just realized you are sailing this year, so the new 123 doesn't apply to you. So keep your Veranda unless you find a concierge for a great deal.

I thought that the 123 didn't apply to guarantee rates anyway :confused:? The OP said it was a Concierge GTY cabin he was looking to change to?

It is worth it to us - but only if the price in fairly small. We are Elite and have a CC cabin on our upcoming cruise mainly for the foot stools and the expanded breakfast menu. Otherwise the other benefits, other than location, are not worth a whole lot to us.

But, for someone that spends a lot of time on the balcony and has breakfast room service almost every day these extras are worth it.

Again, you didn't mention cost so no idea if it is worth it for your cruise but when I booked it was about $100 for a 10 day cruise.

Duane

IF you check back you will find the breakfast room service in regular cabins is not that much different than CC, AQ or Suite breakfasts. There are a couple of items you get with those cabins such as smoothies, also another thread has a lot of people commenting they did not have stools all the M class ships.

Edited by dkjretired

On most ships, its the exact same balcony cabin.

More specifically, this only applies to 5 out of 9 ships (not counting Century which is soon leaving Celebrity).

On all four M-class ships, the concierge staterooms are 21 sq ft larger than standard veranda staterooms - 191 sq ft vs 170 sq ft, They also have a larger balcony - 41 sq ft vs. 38 sq ft.

On all five S-class ships, standard and concierge staterooms are all 194 sq ft with a 54 sq ft balcony.

Edited by boogs

I thought that the 123 didn't apply to guarantee rates anyway :confused:? The OP said it was a Concierge GTY cabin he was looking to change to?

I couldn't find any specific language within the 123 program T&C's that specifically excludes GTY cabins.

That said, GTY's tend to pop up only close to final payments, and the current 123 applies to cruises that depart February forward, so likely very few, if any GTY's on sale yet for those itineraries.

We booked a CC guarantee in August; we did get the 123 promotion, (we chose free grats as we don't drink much) plus substantial OBC from our travel agent. I only did it because it was only $50 pp extra, which was worth it to me for the footstools and extra points toward status. The other amenities don't mean much to us; we had a CC cabin on the Constellation years ago and hardly noticed the difference to a regular balcony cabin.

On an S class ship I would not pay more for a CC GTY, as the benefits are so minimal. Yes, I like the footstools, but unless the cruise had a lot of days at sea that would not be worth paying much $$. I do not find the room service breakfast menus all that much better (and I don't often order anyway) so for me personally that is a mute point. I would pay a bit more for a good location CC, but GTY excludes that benefit.

• 1 month later...

I have done research on this message board, but would like to ask those that have experience with X a question. I am looking at booking a Concierge class cabin on an Equinox cruise for Feb 20, 2017 [yep 2+ yrs from now :eek:].

It is an 11 day Mardi Gras cruise and the rooms are filling up fast. The 123 go promotion for the C Class cabin seems to make sense. [all three benefits vs just one] --only $600 more for both of us.

The issue is that we are Elite through our Royal Caribbean connection. [ Our last X cruise was 5 yrs ago--so we do not remember much about the perks and things have changed.]

My thoughts:

We would have drinks in the evening with the Elite status anyway--correct? So, this seems to be of some benefit--but, not huge.

The $300 OBC would make up half of the difference in room rates.

I would buy a soda beverage package for only me--so now the difference is about $200 of value. It seems like a good deal.

Any thoughts?

However, my research has mostly found that most do not think the C class perks are worth much. :confused:

We are Elite Plus but we still book Aqua because we like Blu. Have never thought about booking a regular veranda. Do not plan on changing even with the 123 promotion.

I sail solo so get double points for my cabin. CC can rack up alot of points, so until I am Elite Plus will probably choose CC if the cost is only $100-200 more than a balcony, maybe a little more if the 123 benefits are included.

Also, it is possible a balcony guarantee on S class could get you a 2D obstructed or a cabin directly above the smoking area on Deck 5. Unless i could switch, the cabin above the smoking area would be a deal breaker.

Otherwise, on S class ships, no real benefit to concierge cabins. As stated above, they are a little larger on M class ships although I liked the location of the full length mirror better in the smaller regular veranda cabin than in Aqua class or concierge on Constellation.

I think that part of the 1-2-3 go is that the gratuities are included. That might make the difference for you. The grats for concierge are $12.50 per person per day.

Check it out, do the math, and have a great cruise. You will enjoy Celebrity!

Yes--it does include the gratuities. If we decided to book the veranda cabin [rather than C class cabin] we would still get 1 of the 123 go benefits--we decide which one we want. So, we would select the $300 OBC since grats for a veranda room would only be $264 for an 11 day cruise.

Thank you, I know we will enjoy the cruise. We loved our cruises on Celebrity. We look forward to taking another one.

The only reason we have not cruised on X is that we live near a Royal Caribbean home port. It allowed us to cruise more often[no airfare] and reach Diamond on Royal. [we will likely be D+ by 2016--with no realistic chance of ever reaching Pinnacle] So, there is no need to stick to one brand.

I'm going on the Summit on 4/4. I booked two connecting CC rooms (going with wife and 2 kids). Pricing was great with 123, OBC and travel agent bonuses.

Is Aqua worth it for $400 more in total? We would lose our connecting rooms and my wife would need to stay with one child and I get the other in another room. Room would be adjoining - not connecting.

Yes--it does include the gratuities. If we decided to book the veranda cabin [rather than C class cabin] we would still get 1 of the 123 go benefits--we decide which one we want. So, we would select the $300 OBC since grats for a veranda room would only be $264 for an 11 day cruise.

Thank you, I know we will enjoy the cruise. We loved our cruises on Celebrity. We look forward to taking another one.

The only reason we have not cruised on X is that we live near a Royal Caribbean home port. It allowed us to cruise more often[no airfare] and reach Diamond on Royal. [we will likely be D+ by 2016--with no realistic chance of ever reaching Pinnacle] So, there is no need to stick to one brand.

I think you made a wise decision. You are sailing on a very port intensive itinerary with 3 days in New Orleans. You will probably be off the ship day and night on those days so you won't make much use of the drink package or the more expensive room.

Not worth it at all. It is a gimmick. If you get it for less than $50 pp total then the location and the foot stools make it worth it. If you are paying more than that to "upgrade" you are throwing your money away. Many of the extra "amenities" like the canapés and the ridiculous little binoculars are bad.

Not worth it at all. It is a gimmick. If you get it for less than $50 pp total then the location and the foot stools make it worth it. If you are paying more than that to "upgrade" you are throwing your money away. Many of the extra "amenities" like the canapés and the ridiculous little binoculars are bad.

Agree that the canapes are pretty bad and agree that the binoculars are weak and often hard to focus. I think we get umbrellas too, but maybe everybody does. We used to get flowers which I enjoyed, but I have read here that the flowers have been reduced or cut out completely. We are given a nice tote bag too, that I give to family when I get home.

What it boils down to me, as someone who loves the read and nap on the balcony, are the footstools and the extra points. The extra points have allowed us to reach Elite on Celebrity even though we are D+ on Royal Caribbean. I have stated before I worry about the day that Celebrity and Royal might downgrade or end their reciprocal loyalty programs, so I want to be have Elite level on Celebrity.

Edited by Gangway Style