Sunshine design when?

When do you think we will see designs and artist renderings of the new ship or ships? How long does it normally take? I am just dying to see what these ships will look like. Also we LOVE Explorer up her in NJ, LOVE HER but we are still hoping the first Sunshine ship comes to port here year round. I know no one knows if this will happen, but do you think RCCL even knows already what they are going to do with the first ship or is that something they decide later on? Thanks for any info.

When do you think we will see designs and artist renderings of the new ship or ships? How long does it normally take? I am just dying to see what these ships will look like. Also we LOVE Explorer up her in NJ, LOVE HER but we are still hoping the first Sunshine ship comes to port here year round. I know no one knows if this will happen, but do you think RCCL even knows already what they are going to do with the first ship or is that something they decide later on? Thanks for any info.

The first ship goes into service in 2014 and I would bet that Royal Caribbean already knows where they are going to put it. As far as the design and drawings Royal Caribbean has been keeping that a close secret. Some people have posted drawings in other threads what they think the ship may look like, but they are just guessing and only Royal knows what they will look like.

Who knows. Unless there's a leak of info like we had with Oasis, we may not know or see anything until late 2013/early 2014. We may get the basic outline of the ship sooner but probably not much info on the interior public areas or cabins configurations. Hopefully Meyer Werft will have their webcam up & running during the construction of the 1st Sunshine Class so we can watch her take shape.

Since you so aptly put this as speculation, I'll speculate ;) I suspect they know where they will put the ship, but on such a long term project, things can change. With the Oasis class, they had to tip their hand a bit before the announcement with the construction at Port Everglades. I think from memory the keel laying should be coming up at the end of the year? Once the keel is laid it seems more info slips out.

they think the ship may look like, but they are just guessing and only Royal knows what they will look like.

All dispute that slightly, the shipyard most likely has some plans already and you never know what will leak out. I'm totally guessing that some sections of the plans may be blank as much of the design of the consumer area of the ship is built in modules, it maybe be a while before some of the features we will see are leaked or released. I joined this forum as Freedom was in its final stages and it was fun to see it being built. I think I remember, and my memory is getting suspect, they were able to keep the flowrider under wraps (actual wraps) for quite a while. It was also fun to watch Oasis being built. I look forward to watching over the next 12-24 months.

Adam Goldstein stated in his December 2011 blog that RCI was about a year away from starting the marketing campaign for the Sunshine class and until that time they would not be releasing any information on the ship. His reasoning for this was to not allow the competition see the features that the new builds will have. I also think that RCI is trying to keep the spotlight on the two big girls for as long as possible.

All dispute that slightly, the shipyard most likely has some plans already and you never know what will leak out. I'm totally guessing that some sections of the plans may be blank as much of the design of the consumer area of the ship is built in modules, it maybe be a while before some of the features we will see are leaked or released. I joined this forum as Freedom was in its final stages and it was fun to see it being built. I think I remember, and my memory is getting suspect, they were able to keep the flowrider under wraps (actual wraps) for quite a while. It was also fun to watch Oasis being built. I look forward to watching over the next 12-24 months.

Oh I'll agree with that. I'm sure the shipyard does have the plans and conceptual drawings, if they did not how would they build it?? I also agree there is always that chance that something will leak out before it is supposed to be made public knowledge. I think you got the original intent of my post so no harm no foul. :)

Thanks guys, I am SOOOO impatient like many around here to see the new builds. There are just so many beautiful ships being built its awesome. The NCL Breakaway looks gorgeous, the new Princess ships look awesome too. Its so much fun to watch these ships being designed, built, and then sail. I'm glad the Breakaway is coming to NY, and I hope RCCL puts the first Sunshine ship in NJ. Then we have choices when it comes to new, big and beautiful ships.

Hi everyone,

We just returned from a cruise on Enchantment of the Seas which is currently based out of Baltimore. At the Captain's Corner last week, a question came up about the sunshine class of ships. The captain did share a few tid-bits about them, but like all of you have said, much can change as the planning, etc. unfolds.

He indicated that at this time the plan is for 2 ships of this class. Rumor has it that one would probably be based in Europe (at least to start), and one would be based somewhere in the northeast U.S. The ships would be about the size of the Freedom class ships, but with different dimensions, etc. Since ships sailing in/out of Baltimore must clear the Key Bridge (about 160 ft. of space), I do not think that the new ship could be based in Baltimore. Of course, that could change if Baltimore were to build a cruise terminal on the other side of the Key Bridge. Norfolk needs major renovations if it were to ever be used as a cruise terminal again, and Philadelphia no longer allows cruise ships there. So, it could be New York or Bayonne, NJ.

Like each of you, I am also curious about this new class of ship.

Sandie

Hi everyone,

Norfolk needs major renovations if it were to ever be used as a cruise terminal again, and Philadelphia no longer allows cruise ships there. So, it could be New York or Bayonne, NJ.

Sandie

I agree that NY/Bayonne is a likely spot... but the Norfolk info is off. Norfolk spent a fortune building a brand new cruise ship terminal. It's gorgeous... and it has no ship.

http://www.cruisenorfolk.org/

RCI had Empress alternating between here and Baltimore before she left.

So it's perfect for a brand new ship, but i doubt seriously it will happen. People just have never flocked there for cruises.

Good info, and logical. Thanks and I hope you are correct that a "Sunshine" ship is coming to Bayonne.

It'd make perfect sense since the Breakaway is going to NYC. RCL wouldn't want to have Norwegian all alone with a brand spanking new ship! (I agree Breakaway looks awesome).

Yes the Breakaway looks insanely beautiful. I would think that would put pressure on RCCL to counter that with a new ship or at least a newer ship. I definitely plan on sailing the NCL Breakaway, but would never abandon RCCL. Explorer is gorgeous, but would still like a new or newer ship up here.

I'm way impatient too! I can only imagine what RCI has under it's sleeve :) and I don't think they need another ship in the caribbean at this time!

I hope like many others that one will be based in NY, since it's only a short drive from my house and wouldn't have to pay for expensive plane tickets!

One thing they did release is what will be moving the ship and I'm pretty sure they are going to be using the Azipods.

Edit: I hope RCI looks at the water park area on Project Breakaway! I think it's time for RCI to think about putting some slide's on a ship. The renderings for the Breakaway look amazing.

I agree that NY/Bayonne is a likely spot... but the Norfolk info is off. Norfolk spent a fortune building a brand new cruise ship terminal. It's gorgeous... and it has no ship.

http://www.cruisenorfolk.org/

RCI had Empress alternating between here and Baltimore before she left.

So it's perfect for a brand new ship, but i doubt seriously it will happen. People just have never flocked there for cruises.

Although the Half Moone Cruise Terminal in Norfolk is now a few years old it still looks brand new. It cost $14 million to build it. The "build it and they will come" phrase really did not happen in Norfolk. They built it and all the cruiselines pulled out save for Carnival that only comes here two months out of the year now.

Hi everyone,

We just returned from a cruise on Enchantment of the Seas which is currently based out of Baltimore. At the Captain's Corner last week, a question came up about the sunshine class of ships. The captain did share a few tid-bits about them, but like all of you have said, much can change as the planning, etc. unfolds.

He indicated that at this time the plan is for 2 ships of this class. Rumor has it that one would probably be based in Europe (at least to start), and one would be based somewhere in the northeast U.S. The ships would be about the size of the Freedom class ships, but with different dimensions, etc. Since ships sailing in/out of Baltimore must clear the Key Bridge (about 160 ft. of space), I do not think that the new ship could be based in Baltimore. Of course, that could change if Baltimore were to build a cruise terminal on the other side of the Key Bridge. Norfolk needs major renovations if it were to ever be used as a cruise terminal again, and Philadelphia no longer allows cruise ships there. So, it could be New York or Bayonne, NJ.

Sandie

You are incorrect about Norfolk's cruise terminal. It is basically brand new and has only been in use for about three years.

The previous building that was used is a maritime museum and was never intended to be a cruise terminal and was only used in that function until a brand new terminal could be built.

Although the Half Moone Cruise Terminal in Norfolk is now a few years old it still looks brand new. It cost $14 million to build it. The "build it and they will come" phrase really did not happen in Norfolk. They built it and all the cruiselines pulled out save for Carnival that only comes here two months out of the year now.

It's unfortunate, but that is happening in many different ports. Some ports that come to mind is the new Houston terminal and the new San Diego terminal. For the next few years San Diego isn't even going to need the 2 cruise berths that they already had, let alone a 3rd one. It is unfortunate that all the money was spent for a terminal just to sit there empty.

It seems like a better plan would have been to get at least one long term contract signed with a cruise line before they started building these new terminals.

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the correction regarding the cruise terminal in Norfolk. It's always good to have those in an area share updated information.

I did read somewhere that it will be the end of this year before RCI will start sharing any information about the ship.

It sounds like we are all excited to find out more about this new ship!

Sandie

Do you think they will tell us where its home port will be at the end of the year?

I think it will be close to that time. They will more than likely open up the bookings around April of next year so the itineraries will come out prior to that.

Hi,

You raise a very good question. According to the Captain onboard Enchantment last week, one of the ships will be home based in Europe and the other on the east coast of the US. It is hard to say if the ship will first sail in Europe in the summer and then come to the US for the winter, or simply remain in Europe. If they first just talk about the ship, they might not talk about where it will be based. I guess we will just have to wait and see what they announce at the end of the year.

Hi,

You raise a very good question. According to the Captain onboard Enchantment last week, one of the ships will be home based in Europe and the other on the east coast of the US. It is hard to say if the ship will first sail in Europe in the summer and then come to the US for the winter, or simply remain in Europe. If they first just talk about the ship, they might not talk about where it will be based. I guess we will just have to wait and see what they announce at the end of the year.

Oh no, WAIT!;) I am very impatient.:mad: Hopefully they tell us soon and we get some artist renderings.

Archived