Top Chef

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 08:52 AM.
#1
Alameda, CA.
510 Posts
Joined Dec 2011
So tonight I was watching Top Chef. The remaining five chefs have to take a cruise to Alaska. In this case it was on Celebrity. The show has a wide shot of Seattle harbor. In the back is the Celebrity, in the foreground is the stacks of a HAL ship. Lucky for me I have a DVR. I quickly hit pause, look at the dual stacks... It is the MS Amsterdam.

Only the Amsterdam and the Rotterdam have those side by side stacks and only one does the Alaska run.
#2
Vancouver, B.C.
1,773 Posts
Joined Nov 2001
Must have been filmed during the 2012 Alaska cruise season. Sad that ms Amsterdam is no longer doing that 14 day Alaska cruise.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
#3
106,244 Posts
Joined Jul 2001
OP -- do you remember when the film was made?

Amsterdam finished her Aaskan season in September and won't be returning to Seattle next season. She will be doing 7 day round trip cruises out of Vancouver.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cruising is a wonderful way to enjoy retirement!
Stopped counting a few years ago -- have done over 140 cruises.
#5
81,629 Posts
Joined Aug 2000
I remember when Rotterdam VI first joined the fleet and we saw those twin stacks and immediately loved them.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
<img src=http://www.hollandamerica.com/images/5starMariner.gif border=0 alt= />

sail7seas7 At yahoo .com
Please put CruiseCritic in Subject Line
#6
503 Posts
Joined Mar 2008
From what I read, that episode was filmed on the Millenium out of Vancouver to Seward on July 29, 2012, and the contestants disembarked in Juneau on July 31. But filming was also done on the Infinity. I don't know those ships so am guessing the Infinity was sailing out of Seattle and they only did location shots in the harbor.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature


Enchantment of the Seas November 2009
Mariner of the Seas July 2008

Carnival Sensation July 2004
Independence (Mississippi River) 1984
Cunard Princess (Alaska) 1981
#7
Colorado
7,825 Posts
Joined Sep 2000
Thanks Tabbymom. That explained things for us. We knew something was 'off' as the quick fire challenge for the sail away was obviously not in a location a few hours out of Seattle.
#8
2,290 Posts
Joined Mar 2001
This whole series of Top Chef was filmed in the summer of 2012. It was based in Seattle, although some of the episodes, or at least part of them, were filmed elsewhere. There was much in the Seattle news about the process.
#9
Orange County, Calif
22,010 Posts
Joined Mar 2005
I would love to be on board when they were filming TOP CHEF. I think that would be so cool.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
<I><IMG title="<img src=http://www.hollandamerica.com/images/5starMariner.gif border=0 alt= />" border=0 alt="<img src=http://www.hollandamerica.com/images/5starMariner.gif border=0 alt= />" src="http://boards.cruisecritic.com/image.php?u=32889&type=sigpic&dateline=1357436982" ></I>
Melodie

Admiral-1-cruise
Holland America-46-cruises
Carnival-1-cruise
Celebrity-4-cruises
Crystal-1-cruise
Princess-3-cruises
Royal Caribbean-2-cruises
#11
1,869 Posts
Joined Apr 2008
The husband of one of my friends is an extremely talented chef. He's been a finalist in the Top Chef tryouts several times. The reason he doesn't get picked? Their family life doesn't have enough "drama" (real or manufactured) for the producers' taste! They've told him that straight out.

A group of us keeps offering to claim to be "long-lost cousins" and create some drama. For some reason she keeps turning us down...
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
BeagleOne

Stella Maris 8/74; QE2 Transatlantic 7/75, 8/82, 7/00, 7/01; Fairwind 4/79; Volendam 8/80; QE2 Caribbean 1/84; Zuiderdam 2/05; Maasdam 2/07; Emerald Princess 3-4/08, Maasdam 4/12 YAY!!!
#13
19,422 Posts
Joined Dec 2006
Originally posted by TheEmerson
So tonight I was watching Top Chef. The remaining five chefs have to take a cruise to Alaska. In this case it was on Celebrity. The show has a wide shot of Seattle harbor. In the back is the Celebrity, in the foreground is the stacks of a HAL ship. Lucky for me I have a DVR. I quickly hit pause, look at the dual stacks... It is the MS Amsterdam.

Only the Amsterdam and the Rotterdam have those side by side stacks and only one does the Alaska run.
I saw the episode by chance, but my thought was it was too bad that HAL did not think to have them film on a HAL ship. Isn't HAL suppose to be known for its Food & Wine and culinary kitchen. This is what I mean by HAL being behind the times.

At least they are trying to do/add something with Dancing with the Stars...
#14
19,422 Posts
Joined Dec 2006
Originally posted by BeagleOne
The husband of one of my friends is an extremely talented chef. He's been a finalist in the Top Chef tryouts several times. The reason he doesn't get picked? Their family life doesn't have enough "drama" (real or manufactured) for the producers' taste! They've told him that straight out.

A group of us keeps offering to claim to be "long-lost cousins" and create some drama. For some reason she keeps turning us down...
Since when do they discuss peoples backgrounds. I guess I miss that part.

Btw, how long is the filming. Most people who are working cannot take that much of a leave of absence.
#15
19,422 Posts
Joined Dec 2006
Originally posted by Tabbymom
From what I read, that episode was filmed on the Millenium out of Vancouver to Seward on July 29, 2012, and the contestants disembarked in Juneau on July 31. But filming was also done on the Infinity. I don't know those ships so am guessing the Infinity was sailing out of Seattle and they only did location shots in the harbor.
It looked like Millennium, but they must have added Qsine when she went into dry dock last year. I noticed they gave the participants all nice balcony cabins.
#16
503 Posts
Joined Mar 2008
I noticed they gave the participants all nice balcony cabins.
Or at least they filmed everyone in balcony cabins...who knows where they actually slept! If they slept.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature


Enchantment of the Seas November 2009
Mariner of the Seas July 2008

Carnival Sensation July 2004
Independence (Mississippi River) 1984
Cunard Princess (Alaska) 1981
#17
Georgia, USA
531 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
Originally posted by Jade13
Since when do they discuss peoples backgrounds. I guess I miss that part.

*snip*
Yeah, me too. I've only watched it once all the way through the season, but can't remember any drama... They were really civilized, at least compared to "Hell's Kitchen".
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
- Esri
- Go With Me!
- "I haven't been everywhere, but its on my list." - Susan Sontag

Future Cruises:

  • January 2014: ms Amsterdam, Grand World Voyage
  • January 2015: ms Prinsendam, Grand South America & Antarctica Voyage
Past Cruises:
  • May 2011: ms Amsterdam, Alaska
#18
Colorado
7,825 Posts
Joined Sep 2000
Originally posted by Jade13
I saw the episode by chance, but my thought was it was too bad that HAL did not think to have them film on a HAL ship. Isn't HAL suppose to be known for its Food & Wine and culinary kitchen. This is what I mean by HAL being behind the times.
With 'Top Chef the cruise' being on X in April, it makes sense that the show would also be taped on a X ship.
#19
near lake ontario - canada
476 Posts
Joined Feb 2011
another quick look at a HAL ship on TV, this morning, on Kelly and Michael live,, the phone in contestant's photo showed him shooting hoops on a HAL ship,, he didn't say which one, but its still nice to see even a small section of one of our ships -- joani