What is your favorite cruise line and ship, please?

mackie

Hi! My husband and I have been on 2 cruises: the Norwegian Dawn and the Golden Princess. We loved both cruises. The Dawn was our first cruise ever. The Golden really had much better food and service, we thought.

We are now planning our next cruise for next March. What is your favorite line? Which ship do you prefer in that cruise line? Why?

Thanks for your ideas!
Mackie

We've cruised with a few different lines and they've all been very enjoyable sailings...but our very favorite line is HAL and our favoriite ship of all is the MS Amsterdam! We've always had wonderful service on all the HAL ships...but there was just a little something that I can't pinpoint that put that crew/staff and ship just a slight notch higher in my opinion.
Happy sailing memories to all!

My favorite ship to date is the Rotterdam, a sister flagship to the Amsterdam. She's an elegant vessel but not stuffy. Great crew. Good layout, easy to navigate. The Rotterdam sails some interesting itineraries, so you should be able to find a sailing to suit.

Holland America without question is our cruiseline of choice.

Favorite ship is hard.....Hmmmm

Maasdam, Rotterdam, Zaandam, Veendam, Statendam, Zuiderdam, etc etc..........we love all the 'dam' ships.

I think Maasdam will always be our sentimental favorite though

[b]I have truly enjoyed the SS United States and the France. Today I would say the SUMMIT , Amsterdam,Rotterdam. :D In the 60's on both the United States and the France, you felt like a "somebody". They truly made one feel like a king.[/b]

Holland America has always been our favorite line, and while we "try out" other ships, we always come back. We have sailed the Zuiderdam twice and are going again in November. There is something about the unobtrusive way they go about their jobs and go out of their way to make you comfortable.

[quote name='mackie']
We are now planning our next cruise for next March. What is your favorite line? Which ship do you prefer in that cruise line? Why?
[/QUOTE]

Our favorite line is Princess. Our favorite ship was the Norwegian Star because we received an upgrade to the Penthouse Suite. We are anxious to see if we change our favorite pick from Princess to Holland. We leave for the Zaandam tomorrow (7/16)

Holland America is my favorite cruise line.
I really like the Volendam; I have been on her three times now, and each time she has been a joy to board again. She has a GREAT crew and a wonderful layout. I also loved the old Rotterdam V, but she's no longer in the fleet.

I also really liked the Orient Line's Marco Polo ... she's a [i]real[/i] ocean liner, not just a cruise ship. I like that.

Well, this is a toughy!!!
HAL is definitely our most favorite cruiseline. But selecting our favorite ship is harder. At first we loved the Maasdam, (our first cruise) but when we celebrated our anniversary on the Ryndam, that became our favorite. The Ryndam is a great ship with fine art and other antique furniture items aboard and remained in first place for several years. But last year we sailed two segments of the World Voyage on the Prinsendam, and I guess now it has replaced the Ryndam. The Prinsendam is a wonderful size, easy to get from one end to the other and now has a fabulous chef, Ed Sayomac. The ship itself is a beauty to look at, especially the shape of the hull and overall balance. Makes one think of some of the magnificent yachts in the Mediterranean. So -- the Prinsendam is in first place for us.

:)

[font=Comic Sans MS][color=magenta]We have been on Cunard, Princess, NCL, and RCI - haven't sailed on them in years.[/color][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][color=#ff00ff][/color][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][color=#ff00ff]Love HAL - have sailed them the last few years.[/color][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][color=#ff00ff]SHIP????? - We have been on the Ryndam, Maasdam, Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Oosterdam, Nieuw Amsterdam, Noordam.[/color][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][color=#ff00ff]And are looking forward to up-coming cruises on the Statendam, Westerdam, Volendam, and Veendam.[/color][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][color=#ff00ff]BUT and "dam" ship will do.[/color][/font]
:)

We have sailed on RCI, Disney, Carnival, Norweigan and are going on the Zuiderdam August 14th. My very first cruise was on the Monarch of the Seas in 1994 when it was one of the largest ships in the world. The cruising experience when compared to my last cruise on the Carnival Spirit Dec /03 was totally different. The atmosphere, the way people dressed, how special it was to be on a ship no longer exists as it was back then. The level of service, the quality of food were completely different. Don't get me wrong I love all my cruises and prefer cruising over any land vacation but i yearn for that lost feeling that I had on my first cruise. The Mega ships are great, but your expectations must now consider that cruising has become mainstream and will never be the same as it was.That being said I love them all equally and look forward to trying as many new lines and ships as I can get into one lifetime....
Amen....

[color=darkorchid]Of our limited experience, I would say each ship has had unique features we enjoyed versus another (listed below). Like you, that first cruise is what you base all others to it seems! But as far as crewmembers knowing our name, I actually must say Norwegian in that regard. Holland America appeals to us for their smaller ships and little extras that are included versus other lines (afternoon tea, java cafe, etc). That said, our next cruise is on HAL Zuiderdam, which we booked for her itinerary - the extra long time in St Thomas so that we could enjoy St John at our leisure, as I am limited to only cruising when school is not in session. However, I understand Zuiderdam's decor might give us a small taste of what Carnival cruise ships are like.[/color]

[color=darkorchid]Features we appreciated on our 7-nt cruiseships (various cruiselines):[/color]
[color=darkorchid]- NCL Sky - first cruise, loved the Freestyle aspect being in our mid-20s, relaxing and casual, many restaurants on board to choose from each night that were included[/color]
[color=darkorchid]- Celebrity Galaxy - loved the AquaSpa, dining, and ample-sized cabin with fridge included, but the week we were onboard had a totally different passenger clientele from anything we had ever read about Celebrity, as it was a total party ship that week and we are not "party people" (people playing their own guitars they brought trying to be louder than the band by the pool, people dancing ON the tables, "jeans" were considered "formal night attire" by some in the nice dining room, and I learned what "funny cigarette smoke" smelled like ... and hubby had to tell me it wasn't a cigarette or cigar or pipe I was smelling)[/color]
[color=darkorchid]- NCL S/S Norway - no longer sailing, but we had read of her history as the S/S France and wanted an opportunity to sail on her; she had a beautiful spa, and it was neat seeing the "two-class system" passengers used to have to sail on (different dining rooms, stairways that only connected certain decks, etc). The history lectures onboard were very good as well.[/color]
[color=darkorchid]- HAL Maasdam - beautiful artwork and floral arrangements, loved the size/layout, favorite place onboard was Crow's Nest in evenings, but very limited spa[/color]
[color=darkorchid]Just my personal opinions based on our experiences. I am not glued to one cruiseline and am open to try different lines and ships. :) [/color]

What's the difference in a real ocean liner and a cruise ship? To me it's all in the attitude and behavior of the pax, the ambiance of the ship and the service/amenities provided.

Pictures speak a thousand words.

Go to Blockbuster and rent the older version of "An Affair to Remember", the one with Cary Grant- THAT's an ocean liner. ;)

Then watch the next time an ad comes on tv for a "Fun Ship". THAT's a cruise ship. :p

Vicar, you asked the question as to the difference between an ocean liner and a cruise ship. I was merely providing 2 simple examples that most all of us are familiar with, which I think accurately show the difference.

I think the question itself is a prime example of why we have so many differences of opinion on the cruise boards. Some folks want an ocean liner experience; some want no more than an all-inclusive vacation on the water.

:) Candy...your pictures are great....I will be sailing her for the first time In September....I hope I have a wonderful week.

Up till now the Celebrity CENTURY has been my favorite ship....lets see how I feel when I return from my HAL experience.

Oh i see what you were trying to say :)

I was just making a joke about the movie

I understand though, the rock climbing and ice skating weren't exactly a part of the Golden Age of Sailing *LOL*

Thank you :)

Vicar,

Ocean liners were designed to cross oceans. They were a means of transportation. Google "Ocean Liners", there is a ton of information out there.

Host Doug is an ocean liner buff, Visit "Whatever happened to...... board."

One of my favorite ships was S/S Norway, an ocean liner.

Archived