Lessons Learned on my recent Magic Cruise (5 nights, Jan 2017)

alertkm

I read so many posts here before my cruise that I thought I would share some of my feedback -

1) Excellent experience with Captain Marvin's in Grand Cayman. We did the 2 snorkel and stingray city stop. My 7 year olds were a little young but they enjoyed the boat ride. Then we stopped at the beach for lunch and a little ocean time. Cabs seemed to be $4/person from beach to port which seemed like only a mile or two.

2) Laundry on every floor with an iron and ironing board - no irons in room - laundry was reasonably priced from what my friend said.

3) Dinner was much more casual then we were expecting. People were dressed nicely but not fancy. You could totally get away with wearing casual pants or skirt or even jeans. My kids wore shorts every evening. We just dressed up a tad bit nicer one night so we could take some pictures. But seriously, you can wear shorts and a shirt to dinner and it would be fine.

4) Get to the main shows early (10-15 minutes) to get a good seat. Servers will bring you drinks to your seat if you want. And buy the plastic popcorn container bc refills are only $1.50. This was handy for us because we had late dinner so kids always needed a snack. The Disney shows are amazing!

5) We really enjoyed John Charles (went to 3 of his shows) but did not enjoy David and Leeman - that would be the evening I would skip of all the shows. Just my opinion.

6) I regret not purchasing an autograph book for my kids. It was an oversight on my part because having an autograph book really engaged the kids and made them want to seek out the characters more. My kids just had old notebooks but I even got adorable pictures with Anna and Elsa with my 7 year old boys because they wanted the autograph for their collection. So definitely get a book before you go or they are on the ship for like $12.

7) I'd skip the sit down breakfast next time. It's exactly the same food as the buffet but not as good/hot if you can believe that. It's nice to be waited on and get served coffee but I thought it was just as easy to do the buffet and quicker.

8) We really liked the late dinner at 8:15pm. We would be at the pool until 5pm or so and then go to the 6:30 show and the kids would run around or go to kids club for an hour before dinner. Will definitely always keep that time for future cruises.

9) We had very few professional pictures. Although a ton were taken they have some kind of face recognition software and so our picture folder had a bunch of other people in it and only a couple of our family. So make sure to snap your own photos. We didn't care because I didn't want to spend hundreds of bucks on pictures.

10) Register before you leave online for kids club. Then when we got to registration the day of our cruise there was a HUGE line to get the wristbands for the kids. Everyone told us the line on the ship would be just as crazy but we walked onto the boat, directly to kids club and there was NO ONE there other than us and got our wristbands in 5 minutes and got to explore the club with the kids.

11) We brought on 4 bottles of wine but next cruise we will probably skip it or only grab 1-2. Alcohol was not expensive at all and so we just drank around the boat when we wanted. We live in Chicago and thought the drinks were cheaper on the cruise then at home. We got the wine package for dinner which we also thought was a great deal.

12) We bought the 10% off a future cruise deal with a $250 deposit and did not pick a specific future sail date. Was told if you sail between Thanksgiving-Christmas (or something like that) they offer 20% off. FYI.

13) There is a lovely little quiet adult coffee shop called the Cove (I think) by the adult pool - for a few bucks you can get a latte or whatever. Pastries are also served (no additional $$). It's quiet and peaceful in there.

I think that's all I can think of. Hope this might help someone with their planning. We had an amazing time and look forward to our next cruise!

I'm glad you had a great cruise! As for number 3, I agree. We have cruised on Disney from 1999 until this past year. Last year's cruise had a much more casual vibe in the dining room than in the past. I'm not completely sure how I feel about it because I do like to dress a little nicer for dinner, but I agree that you can definitely get away with very casual attire on DCL.

Thank you! We are going in April. I have a few questions.

You mentioned a wine package, how much is it? Is there a regular drink package like on Carnival or RC?

The kids club...is it free play mostly? Are the kids expected to join in activities?

There is no unlimited alcohol package as there is on some other lines.

The Oceaneer's Club and Lab have scheduled activities throughout the day. These are listed in the Navigator and have "suggested ages" for each activity, but kids of any age may participate. Kids are not required to join the activities; they may engage in free play in any of the spaces. For example, they may choose the computers or the slide, dress up, color, or whatever....or choose Do-Si-Do with Snow as the scheduled activity going on.

The wine package cost varies with number of days. There is a "regular" and a "premium" package based on the wines you can select. You can view the selections available on the Disney blog site.

Thank you! We are going in April. I have a few questions.

You mentioned a wine package, how much is it? Is there a regular drink package like on Carnival or RC?

The kids club...is it free play mostly? Are the kids expected to join in activities?

If you go to the Disney cruise website and search under gifts and amenities you can find the wine packages along with the actual wines and prices. We bought the 5 bottle package and they less expensive and we were very happy. The first dinner your server will explain the package to you so no need to order in advance. One night we didn't finish our bottle so the next night our open bottle was chilled and waiting for us. We thought it was a great deal.

https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/gifts-and-amenities/

We went with kids ranging from 4 to 9 years old and I think they just sort of did what they wanted in the kids club. There are movies playing, video games, crafts, etc. Something for everyone. We never really paid much attention to the activity schedule.

I believe I brought back some of the navigators - if I can attach them here I will try so it will give you an idea of the activities.

The public bus in GC is only $2.50 pp...a better deal than cabs!

Also, if you do a half day excursion thru Captain Marvin, they will drop you at the beach of your choice OR return you to the tender terminal. That way, you can enjoy the beach (free, unless you rent umbrellas or chairs), and only have to pay for transportation back to the port. Bus is up to $2.50 now? It used to be $1 only a few years ago.

We always found sit down breakfast to be hot and fresh, and have choices other than the buffet. The buffet actually has more choices, but depending on how long a given tray has been sitting out, it wasn't always hot or fresh.

There have never been irons in the rooms on DCL--they are deemed a fire hazard.

Other than that, I basically agree with your review. The dinner dress seems to get more casual each time we cruise.

If you go to the Disney cruise website and search under gifts and amenities you can find the wine packages along with the actual wines and prices. We bought the 5 bottle package and they less expensive and we were very happy. The first dinner your server will explain the package to you so no need to order in advance. One night we didn't finish our bottle so the next night our open bottle was chilled and waiting for us. We thought it was a great deal.

https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/gifts-and-amenities/

We went with kids ranging from 4 to 9 years old and I think they just sort of did what they wanted in the kids club. There are movies playing, video games, crafts, etc. Something for everyone. We never really paid much attention to the activity schedule.

I believe I brought back some of the navigators - if I can attach them here I will try so it will give you an idea of the activities.

Thank you so much! The link is really helpful. I only ask because our oldest is autistic. If he can do what he wants (within reason) he will be fine. I was concerned that he would have to participate in activities which may cause issues.

There is no unlimited alcohol package as there is on some other lines.

The Oceaneer's Club and Lab have scheduled activities throughout the day. These are listed in the Navigator and have "suggested ages" for each activity' date=' but kids of any age may participate. Kids are not required to join the activities; they may engage in free play in any of the spaces. For example, they may choose the computers or the slide, dress up, color, or whatever....or choose Do-Si-Do with Snow as the scheduled activity going on.

The wine package cost varies with number of days. There is a "regular" and a "premium" package based on the wines you can select. You can view the selections available on the Disney blog site.[/quote']

I should have been more specific about a drink package. I meant regular, non-alcoholic drinks. We bought mugs on the first day of both our cruises which gave us unlimited soda and such.

I should have been more specific about a drink package. I meant regular, non-alcoholic drinks. We bought mugs on the first day of both our cruises which gave us unlimited soda and such.

DCL did away with their mug plan long, long ago. At the beverage station and in the restaurants, soft drinks are available 24/7 at no charge (fountain service). If you get them from the bars, by the pools or on the beach from a server (in cans), you'll be charged for them. The beverage station also has milk, coffee, tea, etc. Fruit juice is available 24/7 from room service and other outlets.

No need for non-alcoholic package on DCL. There is a charge for smoothies. Your dining server will make simple virgin drinks at no charge (like a little grenadine or cherry juice in whatever). Fancy virgin drinks cost.

DCL did away with their mug plan long' date=' long ago. At the beverage station and in the restaurants, soft drinks are available 24/7 at no charge (fountain service). If you get them from the bars, by the pools or on the beach from a server (in cans), you'll be charged for them. The beverage station also has milk, coffee, tea, etc. Fruit juice is available 24/7 from room service and other outlets.

No need for non-alcoholic package on DCL. There is a charge for smoothies. Your dining server will make simple virgin drinks at no charge (like a little grenadine or cherry juice in whatever). Fancy virgin drinks cost.[/quote']

Awesome! Thanks! :D

• 3 months later...
I read so many posts here before my cruise that I thought I would share some of my feedback -

1) Excellent experience with Captain Marvin's in Grand Cayman. We did the 2 snorkel and stingray city stop. My 7 year olds were a little young but they enjoyed the boat ride. Then we stopped at the beach for lunch and a little ocean time. Cabs seemed to be $4/person from beach to port which seemed like only a mile or two.

2) Laundry on every floor with an iron and ironing board - no irons in room - laundry was reasonably priced from what my friend said.

3) Dinner was much more casual then we were expecting. People were dressed nicely but not fancy. You could totally get away with wearing casual pants or skirt or even jeans. My kids wore shorts every evening. We just dressed up a tad bit nicer one night so we could take some pictures. But seriously, you can wear shorts and a shirt to dinner and it would be fine.

4) Get to the main shows early (10-15 minutes) to get a good seat. Servers will bring you drinks to your seat if you want. And buy the plastic popcorn container bc refills are only $1.50. This was handy for us because we had late dinner so kids always needed a snack. The Disney shows are amazing!

5) We really enjoyed John Charles (went to 3 of his shows) but did not enjoy David and Leeman - that would be the evening I would skip of all the shows. Just my opinion.

6) I regret not purchasing an autograph book for my kids. It was an oversight on my part because having an autograph book really engaged the kids and made them want to seek out the characters more. My kids just had old notebooks but I even got adorable pictures with Anna and Elsa with my 7 year old boys because they wanted the autograph for their collection. So definitely get a book before you go or they are on the ship for like $12.

7) I'd skip the sit down breakfast next time. It's exactly the same food as the buffet but not as good/hot if you can believe that. It's nice to be waited on and get served coffee but I thought it was just as easy to do the buffet and quicker.

8) We really liked the late dinner at 8:15pm. We would be at the pool until 5pm or so and then go to the 6:30 show and the kids would run around or go to kids club for an hour before dinner. Will definitely always keep that time for future cruises.

9) We had very few professional pictures. Although a ton were taken they have some kind of face recognition software and so our picture folder had a bunch of other people in it and only a couple of our family. So make sure to snap your own photos. We didn't care because I didn't want to spend hundreds of bucks on pictures.

10) Register before you leave online for kids club. Then when we got to registration the day of our cruise there was a HUGE line to get the wristbands for the kids. Everyone told us the line on the ship would be just as crazy but we walked onto the boat, directly to kids club and there was NO ONE there other than us and got our wristbands in 5 minutes and got to explore the club with the kids.

11) We brought on 4 bottles of wine but next cruise we will probably skip it or only grab 1-2. Alcohol was not expensive at all and so we just drank around the boat when we wanted. We live in Chicago and thought the drinks were cheaper on the cruise then at home. We got the wine package for dinner which we also thought was a great deal.

12) We bought the 10% off a future cruise deal with a $250 deposit and did not pick a specific future sail date. Was told if you sail between Thanksgiving-Christmas (or something like that) they offer 20% off. FYI.

13) There is a lovely little quiet adult coffee shop called the Cove (I think) by the adult pool - for a few bucks you can get a latte or whatever. Pastries are also served (no additional $$). It's quiet and peaceful in there.

I think that's all I can think of. Hope this might help someone with their planning. We had an amazing time and look forward to our next cruise!

Hiya 😃

Thanks for taking the time to provide all this detail. I am sailing on Magic next August with husband and daughter and it will be our first Disney cruise so any thoughts from experienced Disney cruisers are appreciated 😃

2) Laundry on every floor with an iron and ironing board - no irons in room - laundry was reasonably priced from what my friend said. Not on the Magic. Laundry rooms on the Magic class ships are only on decks 2, 6 & 7.

The Disney shows are amazing!

5) We really enjoyed John Charles (went to 3 of his shows) I also like John Charles.

12) We bought the 10% off a future cruise deal with a $250 deposit and did not pick a specific future sail date. Was told if you sail between Thanksgiving-Christmas (or something like that) they offer 20% off. FYI. I've not heard of 20% off on those cruises. They are very popular (with the Very MerryTime theme).

13) There is a lovely little quiet adult coffee shop called the Cove (I think) by the adult pool - for a few bucks you can get a latte or whatever. Pastries are also served (no additional $$). It's quiet and peaceful in there. Cove Cafe.

My comments in red.

Magic and Wonder have laundry rooms on decks 2, 6, and 7. Dream and Fantasy have them on decks with regular (not concierge) cabins. Cost $2 for wash, $2 for dry, $1 for products (or bring your own). If we are on a cruise of more than a week, I toss a couple Tide pods in the suitcase.

Cove Cafe is adult only, Vista Cafe has same lattes, etc. and munchies and is for families. The food offerings vary throughout the day and early evening. You pay for the beverages, munchies are part of the cruise fare.

DCL will occasionally offer 20% off on some cruises. We got that on a Med cruise booked on board. Actually, we had booked it at 10% off and were about to rebook at 20% off! Nice deal. I've not heard of it being a regular thing on the Merrytime cruises between the holidays though. Not disputing you--GREAT deal if it is real as these cruises are typically priced a little lower as they typically do not book up quickly (kids in school, etc).