Transport in Cork

I will be on Independence of the Seas in May and am wondering if I should take a ships tour to Cork or is it easy to get to town independently. Or perhaps the ship lays on shuttle buses??

Can any one shed some light please?

Thanks

The train station is right next to the dock. We could walk out on or balcony and watch the people getting on the train. It's that close. and very easy for a do it yourself type thing.Just remember that the commuters get priority if there are too many people they'll make you wait for the next train. I have the schedule link somewhere.

The train station is right next to the dock. We could walk out on or balcony and watch the people getting on the train. It's that close. and very easy for a do it yourself type thing.Just remember that the commuters get priority if there are too many people they'll make you wait for the next train. I have the schedule link somewhere.

Took the train ,Many times from the cruise ship, never been many people travelling,

Train times are on there web,Sept 07 8.30 -9.00am, takes 20 mins ,

5 euros single, buy a return ticket from the booking office on the platform.

From Cork into centre of town it is a 5-8 min walk ,follow other travellors,

I only mentioned the crowding because that is what i witnessed and also heard from others on my trip. It's just something to keep in the back of your head. Especially upon return when everyone wants to go back to Cobh at the same time.

I also suppose it depends on what time you plan to go. The commuters and school children generally go pretty early. Or if your going on a weekend. Perhaps waiting until after that time would be pretty easy.

Anyway i remember it being a somewhat scenic ride. Lots of marshes and birds and farms. It was haying time. Lots of hay.

found the link for you: http://www.irishrail.ie/home/

There is an smaller schedule for sunday so check your specific date. : )

The returning train was very crowded when we did it a couple of years ago but we got on, had to stand but it is not for long. Don't leave it until the last train, Cobh itself is a pretty little town and worth an hour or so to wander around when you get back from Cork. It is very easy to do by yourself. Cork station is about 10 minutes walk from the station and at Cobh the station is right next to the ship.

Does anyone know how to get from Cork to Kinsale by train or bus?

There is no train service from Cork to Kinsale, but there is a regular bus service.

The main bus depot is, at most, about a ten minute walk from the train station. Ask anyone at the train station and they will direct you to the bus depot. The bus journey to Kinsale should take approx. 40 minutes.

Kinsale is a beautiful town. Lots of lovely craft shops and some of the best restaurants in Cork. We go there regularly of a Sunday afternoon during the Summer.

There is no train service from Cork to Kinsale, but there is a regular bus service.

The main bus depot is, at most, about a ten minute walk from the train station. Ask anyone at the train station and they will direct you to the bus depot. The bus journey to Kinsale should take approx. 40 minutes.

Kinsale is a beautiful town. Lots of lovely craft shops and some of the best restaurants in Cork. We go there regularly of a Sunday afternoon during the Summer.

Thanks, I appreciate the information.

Archived