Not so & common sense at the ship buffet

BillOh

I get a chuckle out of this - everyone is so worried about what they might pick up on the ship but think nothing of eating and drinking in port! In Mexico, all fresh veggies (yes, that includes your salsa and guac), the ice in your drinks and that bottle of water you just bought from a street vendor are far more likely to make you sick then pushing a button on an elevator!

I get a chuckle out of this - everyone is so worried about what they might pick up on the ship but think nothing of eating and drinking in port! In Mexico, all fresh veggies (yes, that includes your salsa and guac), the ice in your drinks and that bottle of water you just bought from a street vendor are far more likely to make you sick then pushing a button on an elevator!

Well said!:)

Good point! A lot of people would never think twice about purchasing these items when they go ashore.

Good point! A lot of people would never think twice about purchasing these items when they go ashore.

Most people traveling in Mexico understand how one gets "Montezuma's Revenge".

Notice I said "most", not all.

Not everyone thinks that the ice comes from the water, or that the salad was washed in the water, or that rinsing your toothbrush out in the water can also cause "Montezuma's Revenge".

Edited by Cuizer2

• 11 months later...
Fair to say that I haven't read this entire post but what I have read I'm really shocked at the amount of "children". present at the buffet not with their parent. I hear a lot of posts about kids who are up there alone doing things they shouldn't do and their parents should be supervising them!!! That seems to be a huge part of the problem. I am NOT down on kids I have four of my own, but when we were in a public area and they needed to be supervised they were supervised!!

I've not seen a lot of that, but I know it happens. My favorite story regarding a kid at the windjammer came from Dinner on Jewel back in 2012. They had some really good ribs that night, there was quite a few 4 bone racks in the pan soaking in BBQ sauce. This 12 year old (guess) in front of me would pick one rack up by the end bone using the tongs and the meat would fall into the pan. I swear he did this till he de-boned the entire tray of ribs. He then walked away. He never touched the ribs themselves and didn't throw the tongs on the pile. I did manage to get a few "boneless ribs" to eat. They were good.

I've not seen a lot of that, but I know it happens. My favorite story regarding a kid at the windjammer came from Dinner on Jewel back in 2012. They had some really good ribs that night, there was quite a few 4 bone racks in the pan soaking in BBQ sauce. This 12 year old (guess) in front of me would pick one rack up by the end bone using the tongs and the meat would fall into the pan. I swear he did this till he de-boned the entire tray of ribs. He then walked away. He never touched the ribs themselves and didn't throw the tongs on the pile. I did manage to get a few "boneless ribs" to eat. They were good.[/Quote]

The post you are replying to is a year old. This was a dead thread until you brought it back to life with your reply.

Quite sure.. according to hubby there are not many men who wash their hands before leaving the loo after doing a #1

My uneducated guess is it's at least 2/10 or 20%. If no paper towels are provided, I open the doors with my sleeve or shirt bottom.

I'm especially grossed out when they exit a stall (when you hear the toilet roll) and they leave without washing.:eek:

If no paper towels are provided, I open the doors with my sleeve or shirt bottom.

That's an absolute no-no. Your trousers are the most germified part of you. How often do you wash your belt? Because every time you use the toilet, the first thing you do is fasten up your trousers and belt - before you wash your hands - and as previously asked, how often do you wash your belt? Which your shirt bottom has been in contact with all day?

Keep your hands WELL away from your belt.

One thing that I imagine many don't realize is that if you put serving utensils back in the wrong bin, you have the potential of causing someone to have an allergic reaction. For example, if you're using an utensil to get shrimp and then accidentally (carelessly) place it in another bin, someone who has an allergy to shellfish (like me) could get very ill.

Hmm, After reading the posts submitted here, I will be going out tomorrow and purchasing another suitcase.

That will be to carry the case of MRE's that I will be taking with us to eat in our cabin on our cruise in two weeks. And, that will only happen after washing our hands for 5 minutes. :D

Bob

One thing that I imagine many don't realize is that if you put serving utensils back in the wrong bin' date=' you have the potential of causing someone to have an allergic reaction. For example, if you're using an utensil to get shrimp and then accidentally (carelessly) place it in another bin, someone who has an allergy to shellfish (like me) could get very ill.[/quote']

Self service buffet? Yuck!

That's an absolute no-no. Your trousers are the most germified part of you. How often do you wash your belt? Because every time you use the toilet, the first thing you do is fasten up your trousers and belt - before you wash your hands - and as previously asked, how often do you wash your belt? Which your shirt bottom has been in contact with all day?

I tip the bathroom attendant handsomely to pull up my trousers and buckle my belt for me.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

If you want to see Buffet style serving at its best look on YouTube - Royal Princess Grand Mediterranean Voyage. At 13.38 a guy appears to be shoving his hand into the buffet counter to load his plate; then presumably because he has got some food on his fingers he shoves them in his mouth to lick this off. I should assume that next he will repeat the process in a different platter.

Anyone want to review this from the clip?

Regards John

I have a different approach, I simply live my life and don't worry about all this, I ride public transportation (bus to and from work), rarely get sick... I think the more we are exposed to every day life the healthier we will be.

When we are on a ship, we wash our hands all the time, we are very selective of what we eat, do go to the buffet, usually pick up a few healthy choices and take back to our cabin and enjoy in the peace and quiet of our balcony.

We do room service in our cabin for breakfast... as well.

I am curious if there is a study confirming this. Fomites (inanimate objects) in general tend not to support pathogen viability as well as people. You might find some on a belt or inner trousers but I suspect way less than a person's hands or face.

I am curious if there is a study confirming this. Fomites (inanimate objects) in general tend not to support pathogen viability as well as people. You might find some on a belt or inner trousers but I suspect way less than a person's hands or face.

It appears to be universally accepted that lift buttons and handrails are loaded with germs. I assumed belt buckles would be the same. Certainly if the metal of a belt buckle and the leather of a belt DON'T hold germs, then all the stuff about using elbows to call the lift is so much hooey.

I can handle my own germs, I just don't want others!:)

I have a different approach, I simply live my life and don't worry about all this... rarely get sick... I think the more we are exposed to every day life the healthier we will be.

When we are on a ship, we wash our hands all the time, we ... do go to the buffet...

I agree with the above. We are the same. We refuse to live in a bubble.

Just curious...do you touch door handles (any)? How about hand rails? Elevator buttons? Money? Merchandise you are considering as a purchase? Do you inhale without the use of a mask?

There are many, many ways to come into contact with germs and become sick. I am not saying you should not take sensible percautions but I can assure you...sooner or later, something will kill you.

HAHAHAHA ... loved it!

I tend to notice many of the senior/older generations like to graze as they wander the buffet. They will take something, eat it, and keep walking and get something else.

Using tongs to put something on your plate, sticking your fingers in your mouth, and then grabbing another pair of tongs is a party foul no matter how you slice it.

Now I always have a napkin in hand to use tongs.

People ARE pigs. :eek::eek: