Refunds for price drops?

Presto2

We are going on our first Celebrity cruise in August and get very confused by people discussing a possible refund or discount if the price goes down after booking. We booked last May for our cruise in August - if the price has gone down (and even though we have used a travel agent to book) can we claim anything back if the price drops? All this is new to us ! :)

We are going on our first Celebrity cruise in August and get very confused by people discussing a possible refund or discount if the price goes down after booking. We booked last May for our cruise in August - if the price has gone down (and even though we have used a travel agent to book) can we claim anything back if the price drops? All this is new to us ! :)

I booked recently with Celebrity and asked them specifically about honoring price drops. Here's the bottom line:

You have to keep a close watch because it's up to you to contact them (if and when) price drops for your cabin/category.

They WILL honor a price drop so long as:

1. It's NOT special pricing exclusive to "New Bookings Only"

2. It's before your FINAL PAYMENT DATE (which is approx. 60 days prior to your sail date. check your paperwork)

After your final payment date, the cruiseline is not obligated to honor any price drops... although it can never hurt to ask (but don't hold your breath).

Hi Presto2, we booked direct with Celebrity for our cruise next June (2012) and they have advised they will match the price if there is a price drop before final payment. If after final payment has been made the price drops we would not be eligible for any refund. Give your TA a call, it can't hurt to ask.

Enjoy your cruise:)

Check the prices of your sail date/category type on Celebrity's website. If the price is currently less than that you booked for in May of last year, contact your TA for a possible price reduction.

We just booked a 2012 cruise through our TA and the TA did not know about the price match. I asked them to ask Celebrity whilst they were on the phone to them and the reply was that yes they would price match if the price drops, it is free the first price drop and then I think they said £34 service charge if it dropped again. Therefore it is best to wait until there is a substantial drop.

We just booked a 2012 cruise through our TA and the TA did not know about the price match. I asked them to ask Celebrity whilst they were on the phone to them and the reply was that yes they would price match if the price drops, it is free the first price drop and then I think they said £34 service charge if it dropped again. Therefore it is best to wait until there is a substantial drop.

I would get another TA. I can see that they might charge you a small fee (around $50) to cancel, but to charge you for adjusting because of price drop is ridiculous. Again, get yourself another TA. I haven't heard of those in the States charging for this refund/adjustment of price. It shouldn't cost anything.

Celebrity did not mention about it costing anything for making the adjustment, maybe that is jut your TA for admin purposes.

We have had price drops from Celebrity in the past but at the moment quite lot of the prices on the UK website are "for new bookings only". Our Equinox July cruise dropped £450 a few weeks ago and they would not match it, then it dropped another £600...and once again we were told the price was only for new bookings. So we cancelled and, even though we lost our deposit, we stiil saved a considerable amount.

It always pays to watch prices and call if you see a drop......but they won't always let you have it.

We have had price drops from Celebrity in the past but at the moment quite lot of the prices on the UK website are "for new bookings only". Our Equinox July cruise dropped £450 a few weeks ago and they would not match it, then it dropped another £600...and once again we were told the price was only for new bookings. So we cancelled and, even though we lost our deposit, we stiil saved a considerable amount.

It always pays to watch prices and call if you see a drop......but they won't always let you have it.

If you cancel and book again do you risk not getting your old cabin? We booked early to make sure we got a sunset cabin and would hate not to have it now.

If you cancel and book again do you risk not getting your old cabin? We booked early to make sure we got a sunset cabin and would hate not to have it now.

Yesterday I grabbed a specific cabin I wanted on Celebrity's website when I noticed it was available. At the time I wasn't able to call Celebrity and have my existing booking switched to this cabin, so I just grabbed it and made a second booking. Later, when I had time to call, the Agent on the phone was able to switch the cabin I wanted over to my "real" booking at the snap of a finger.

Well, when we cancelled the cabin came back into the inventory immediately and we were able to get it back..:) but there is a small risk that someone could have it waitlisted, I suppose. In our case there were other 1As with large balconies still available that we wouldn't have minded moving to, so it was worth it.

Archived