Day trip to Anguilla from St Maarten

techsearch

Not sure if you want to spend the day there or make it one of a few spots for the day. If so, I would "highly" recommend Blue Safaris and request Fab. He is the owner and does things top notch. We've done his island tour with three snorkel stops including Pinel Island along with a delicious lunch. We're going to do his Anguilla tour in June. Never had an issue making it back to the ship. When they say they guarantee or promise it's true. You won't be sorry if you take his tour. No more than 12/13 most on his boats. Tell him John, Karen, Romano, and Julie said hello :)

We were in St. Martin late January and for some reason, didn't find much about Blue Safari here on Cruise Critic, but plenty of reviews on TripAdviser. They have 100% 5 and 4 star reviews (Only 2 are 4 stars, the rest are all 5).

There were AWESOME! We had Sander as our "captain" and we had a group of 12. That's all they take on their boat. Everyone said it was the best tour of the cruise. You can google them and find them easy. VERY responsive via email and you can pay your deposit or amount in full with credit card via PayPal.

My wife and I used the public ferry from Margiot to Anguilla and we had lots of time. We took a taxi to ferry pier (don't remember how much) bought our tickets for the ferry and went to Anguilla. Take your passport because Anguilla is British so you have to go through customs. We got a taxi and went to Rendezvous Bay. We were able to rent chairs at the Anguilla Great House Beach Resort and made that our base and walked the beach to see were Jimmy Buffett played his concert for Anguilla. The taxi driver brought us back to the Ferry and we were back in lots of time.

We did this a second time on another cruise and went to Uncle Ernie's Beach Bar at Shoal Bay. Rented chairs there on a beautiful beach and the day was great. Still had lots of time. Just leave the ship in the am as soon as you can.

THANK YOU! We're considering this for a cruise in January. We dock at 8AM and are in port until 6PM, so I think we should have time. Sure, the ferry adds an element of concern about getting back to the ship, but you could get delayed on ANY excursion. I've done this type of thing going from St. Thomas to St. John on more than one cruise. I appreciate hearing from someone who has done it! Any more feedback you can provide?

For those who have done this, can you advise?

*Taxi fare from pier to Marigot?

*Is ferry dock in Marigot near the downtown area?

*Do ferry's run on a relatively reliable schedule? Is it every 30 minutes in both directions?

*What is the name of the beach where the Bankie Banks beach bar is located?

*Is it close to where the ferry drops you, or is cab fare required?

Any other information you can provide?

For those who have done this, can you advise?

*Taxi fare from pier to Marigot?

*Is ferry dock in Marigot near the downtown area?

*Do ferry's run on a relatively reliable schedule? Is it every 30 minutes in both directions?

*What is the name of the beach where the Bankie Banks beach bar is located?

*Is it close to where the ferry drops you, or is cab fare required?

Any other information you can provide?

I think it's $18 for two from pier to Marigot. Ferry dock is convenient to center of Marigot. Schedule is frequent and pretty reliable , but I do not think as frequent as every 30 minutes. Bankie Banx is at Rendezvous Bay. You would want a taxi.

That said, you need to verify ferry schedules, confirm fares and departure fees ( yes, going both ways) and add to the $36 fare to/ from Marigot/pier and whatever your taxi fares on Anguilla would be. You are talking about a fairly expensive way of using a lot of your port day getting back and forth. When you figure cab rides, time on the ferry each way, plus the time spent waiting for the ferry, you are using up a lot of your day - and there is also the risk factor you mentioned --- always more serious when a ferry ride is involved.

Frankly, I think it is a bad idea on a cruise port call.

• 1 month later...
It's a bit dated now, so the prices may have changed, but here is my review and take on going to Anguilla from St. Maarten for the day: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=15087531&postcount=20

Unfortunately prices aren't the only thing that has changed. Shoal Bay east is still a beautiful beach but it has suffered beach erosion since your visit in 2008. I visited back to back in 2012 and 2013 both times in the summer and there was a very noticeable difference in the amount of beach that had been taken.

Hello fellow cruisers - thank you in advance for your thoughts!!!

We will be in port in St. Maarten for the standard 8am - 5pm, the day before Thanksgiving on the Celebrity Reflection. I have read differing views on whether we can get to Anguilla for the day. I have been talking to "Private Yacht Charter SXM". They have great reviews on TripAdvisor but I can't find a single review about them here on CC. Can anyone tell me if they know this charter group?

And does anyone have experience going to Anguilla from St. Maarten on a PRIVATE charter vs. taking the public ferry. Of course I would presume the public transportation takes longer but I don't know that for sure either. Would just like to hear of others experiences taking a private boat charter to Anguilla from St. Maarten on a standard cruise ship time frame. Just not sure we can make this work.

The charter folks say we can go to Rendezvous Bay, no problem. Leaving St. Maarten at 9am and planning to be BACK in St. Maarten by 3pm. Just so we have plently of time to get back to the ship and onboard. We never cut it close. But for some reason, I am just nervous, feeling like going to Anguilla from St. Maarten is too far. Is it? Thoughts anyone?

Hello...did you end up using this company?

• 2 weeks later...
We were in St. Martin late January and for some reason, didn't find much about Blue Safari here on Cruise Critic, but plenty of reviews on TripAdviser. They have 100% 5 and 4 star reviews (Only 2 are 4 stars, the rest are all 5).

There were AWESOME! We had Sander as our "captain" and we had a group of 12. That's all they take on their boat. Everyone said it was the best tour of the cruise. You can google them and find them easy. VERY responsive via email and you can pay your deposit or amount in full with credit card via PayPal.

Thanks for your feedback. I'll be in ST Maarten in March 2016 and booked the day trip to Anguilla though Blue Safaris. I also didn't find much about them on CC which I found surprising. Did you take the Anguilla tour or another?

I've been to St Maarten many times, we normally go up to Grand Case. Not once did we find it crowded there on any visit. The sand is perfect, the view is excellent, the water is clear and the beach service from many places is superb. Food, drinks and a perfect beach....with a perfect view....

I've been to St Maarten many times, we normally go up to Grand Case. Not once did we find it crowded there on any visit. The sand is perfect, the view is excellent, the water is clear and the beach service from many places is superb. Food, drinks and a perfect beach....with a perfect view....

Shhh;)

It seems at the very other end of the island. How long of a taxi ride would it be from the pier? Also, what is the cost and lastly, are there taxis readily available to get back to the ship?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Linda

It seems at the very other end of the island. How long of a taxi ride would it be from the pier? Also, what is the cost and lastly, are there taxis readily available to get back to the ship?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Linda

Taxi fare would be $25 each way for two. You should allow at least 30 minutes - and there are almost always taxis readily available in Grand Case, but you should not cut the time too close on a busy day (many ships in port) because there would be greater demand for taxis and more traffic on the way back - you should shoot to leave Grand Case at least an hour before all aboard time.

• 2 months later...

I cannot believe some of the stuff I'm reading on this thread. If you are docked in St Maarten for a full day, and with ferries running between Marigot and Anguilla every 45 minutes, for a 25 minute ride, it is completely ridiculous to suggest that you cannot visit the island while on a cruise port day. If you go with one of the private ferries that run from Julianna airport, you are also that much closer to the pier.

I've been to St Maarten several times, toured the whole of it, been to the beaches, been there done that. Nice island, but nothing more that I'm interested to see and sitting on a beach is not my idea of a port day. I'm deciding between St Barts and Anguilla for my next stop there, and now leaning towards Anguilla.

If you are going to be that scared of missing the boat when you are docked for 8-9 hours, why even bother getting off the ship?

I cannot believe some of the stuff I'm reading on this thread. If you are docked in St Maarten for a full day, and with ferries running between Marigot and Anguilla every 45 minutes, for a 25 minute ride, it is completely ridiculous to suggest that you cannot visit the island while on a cruise port day. If you go with one of the private ferries that run from Julianna airport, you are also that much closer to the pier.

I've been to St Maarten several times, toured the whole of it, been to the beaches, been there done that. Nice island, but nothing more that I'm interested to see and sitting on a beach is not my idea of a port day. I'm deciding between St Barts and Anguilla for my next stop there, and now leaning towards Anguilla.

If you are going to be that scared of missing the boat when you are docked for 8-9 hours, why even bother getting off the ship?

Many ships are in from 9-5 (busy Rd and also bridge opening times) and in the not so distant past the public ferries ran only from Marigot. Also there was no Causeway bridge either which gives options if there is an accident or construction on the main route back to port. With your 10-7 port time which is also new I don't think anyone would have warned you against going to Anguilla on a port day. Have fun.:)

Edited by Karysa

• 2 weeks later...

If you have an opportunity to go to Anguilla - go for it!

We took the Blue Safari tour over there and I swear those are the best beaches I've ever seen!

We spent about 5 hours there, made three stops, had an amazing lunch at Roy's Bayside Grill, and came home and are planning an island hopping vacation where Anguilla will not be skipped!

Have fun and enjoy Anguilla.

• 1 year later...

Thank you all for the information for taking a day trip to Anguilla. We have been to St Maarten a few times and have heard great things about the beaches in Anguilla. I have emailed Blue Safari to make sure we are back to port on time before 5pm when our ship leaves. Looks and sounds like this is very doable.

• 4 weeks later...
I have emailed Blue Safari to make sure we are back to port on time before 5pm when our ship leaves.

Just curious, did you ever hear back from them? We have used their "Contact Us" button and after no response from that sent a direct email with a couple of questions that we had before booking and have heard nothing back.

Yes I did hear back. It did take two emails but things sound like they are going to work out fine. They return you to the cruise pier at 4pm. If we are on ship time not island time we will be back two hours early. I'll post something when I get back from our trip in Jan.

Thanks for the reply! May need to shoot them another email but kind of irritated that I have tried two different methods of contact, have given them almost 2 weeks and have not heard back. We are looking at a couple of different options so will see what we decide.

I think they have a really nice couple of unique tours set up. Would love to give them a try but the lack of response has left me a bit uneasy. Sounds like they have gotten back to you and answered your questions so maybe once you make contact the communication is a bit easier?

In either case, I look forward to hearing of your experience in January! If we get through and decide to book for our cruise in December, I will post our experience as well!

Happy Sailing!

not to rain on this but we had this scheduled in October 20 and literally the night before it was cancelled because of the swells in the harbor. Luckily I had internet and got the email and they did say that they would meet us at Bobby's marina if we didn't respond. I asked them if we could switch to the 3 island deal (which I really didn't want to do because I had done it last year with Soualiga; however, I wanted to do a boat tour that day). I did not get a response. I thought well maybe it's bad all over and no boats went out. We ended up renting a car from Coastal and driving all over the island which was fun. I was reimbursed by Christine. I had paid the full amount so I was surprised that they wouldn't have offered me an alternate tour. I did find out that another group was taken out to do the 3 island tour with apparently not a full boat so I think they could have squeezed us in. I suspect that they could not get enough people to do the Anguilla trip so they just cancelled it. I wish if they were planning on this, they would have given me more time to get another excursion. Luckily I am pretty resourceful and have been to St Maartin before so I explored and went to places that were on my bucket list. We are going back to St. Martin in 2018 and I will try again to do Anguilla but unfortunately not with Blue Safaris because I do not trust them to get us there. There is a ferry that would have worked with our plans because we were there in October from 9a to 7p and I would have done that instead had they given me more than 12 hours to plan. We are going to try the ferry on our next trip. Good Luck with whatever you decide to do and make sure to have a plan B

As an addition to the above, while we were at lunch near the ferry harbor, we asked about the ferry to Anguilla and was it running that day. Some of the locals told us it ran every day and boats were crossing the channel without any problems that day. I cannot tell you how disappointed I was and how I kicked myself for not planning a ferry trip in case Blue Safari fell through.

Edited by jean87510

Sorry to hear that was your experience....hoping that doesn't happen to me but have come up with plan B if needed. I found their FB page

https://www.facebook.com/bluesafarisstmaarten/?fref=ts

and it looks like the business is operating fine. I'll fill everyone in when I get back. Also I found contacting them thru their email address not thru the submittal form is how I got in touch with them.

jean87510,

Thanks for your response! A last minute cancellation or, worse yet, a no show on their part is exactly what I am afraid will happen. Unfortunately there isn't any way of knowing for sure whether the cancellation was due to weather or lack of bookings.

We were talking about this just last night and debating whether or not to try one last time to contact them. We decided that the lack of response has made us uneasy enough to decide to pass on them for this trip (although I still go back and forth in my mind). Really would have liked to check out Anguilla as it looks beautiful but there is still lots we haven't done yet in St Maarten! Maybe some day in the future!

slatterj,

Since it sounded like they were good about refunding jean87510's money, keeping your reservation and having a Plan B sounds like a good idea to me! That was an idea that we toyed with when thinking about trying one last time to contact them but just decided that we didn't feel like dealing with it.

Looking forward to hearing about the tour after you get back! Hope you are telling us how awesome Anguilla is and I'll be sitting here all jealous and wishing we had taken a chance on it!:)

Edited by SeasideMemories

• 1 month later...

I just got an email stating that Blue Safari is no longer in business and that I would be getting my deposit refunded with 10 days. Trying to come up with a plan B without having to take the public ferry over to the island. The other vendors I have seen won't work for cruisers since they are full eight hour trips. If I find out anything, I'll post back.