Explore 4 beverage package question

crazytomatoes

When we got on the Eurodam a month ago there were people EVERYWHERE trying to get you to upgrade to the Elite package. In fact, there was a table set up just inside the gangway with someone trying to get you signed up and for the first 2 days every time we got a drink we were asked if we had the signature drink package and if we wanted to upgrade. So it should be very very easy to upgrade if you want to.

When we got on the Eurodam a month ago there were people EVERYWHERE trying to get you to upgrade to the Elite package. In fact, there was a table set up just inside the gangway with someone trying to get you signed up and for the first 2 days every time we got a drink we were asked if we had the signature drink package and if we wanted to upgrade. So it should be very very easy to upgrade if you want to.

That's good to know. It was the exact opposite on the Eurodam in December. Getting the upgrade was like pulling teeth. It struck us as odd, since we were basically waving money at them.

Apparently the ability to upgrade the SBP to Elite really depends on the ship. We were on the Oosterdam last week and given the advice received from others, attempted to upgrade our package (at multiple places and locations). We were not allowed to do so since it was included as part of the fare. On our trip, the SBP covered drinks up to $9. That being said, it was our experience that the price of drinks also increased since our last cruise in December so the value was, in effect, that same. We like to have wine with dinner and many of the wines were now $9.25-$9.75 - over the SBP limit. The Pinot Grigio, Chardonnay and Shiraz that were below the $9 price point were good enough for us on this cruise as the wines listed above the threshold would not be, in my opinion, worth the extra cost for the EBP. If you like specialty martinis you should know that most of these are above the $9 threshold as are a variety of other drinks -- more than I recall on our last cruise. My concern is that this will continue in order to try and "force" people up to the EBP.

• 2 weeks later...

We have the beverage package our our upcoming 18 day (it was included!) and I'm happy we have it. We sailed on Princess last fall and bought their package. It was worth every penny, whether or not we drank the dollar equivalent. It felt so nice, so much more "luxe" to order an espresso, or fancy iced tea, grab a bottled water, get fresh-squeezed juice for breakfast without giving the bottom line a thought! Add in the alcohol that we drank - not all that much, truthfully (it was a busy cruise) - we never kept tabs. Doing that would have spoiled the vibe of not having a care in the world, which is one of the great things about cruising.

Currently on Zaandam and upgraded at the Pool Bar with the 1st server who waited on us for our 1st glass of wine on board. It was easy, fast and the server knew exactly what the additional fee would be. We are using it for all the little extras and the wine I like is $11 a glass.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Our last cruise was on Oceania and all non-alcoholic beverages were free and when we wanted wine we could buy a bottle which would be stored for us for use in restaurants; before that we were on sailing ships (Windstar, Star Clipper) again all non-alcoholic free; before that we were on major lines, but I guess it was a long time ago as they were all free too.

As I'm understanding now you can't get a glass of water or a basic coffee free; can you buy a large bottle of water? At what cost? Can you bring it to dinner or lunch? If you buy a coffee do they refill it for free or do they charge each time? What does a basic coffee cost? Are you allowed to bring ANY beverage aboard at all (water or wine) ? It's the water that is most upsetting to me; reminds me of Italy in the late eighties when the restaurants would hit you up for $6.00 a bottle and we drank a lot of water!

Our last cruise was on Oceania and all non-alcoholic beverages were free and when we wanted wine we could buy a bottle which would be stored for us for use in restaurants; before that we were on sailing ships (Windstar, Star Clipper) again all non-alcoholic free; before that we were on major lines, but I guess it was a long time ago as they were all free too.

As I'm understanding now you can't get a glass of water or a basic coffee free; can you buy a large bottle of water? At what cost? Can you bring it to dinner or lunch? If you buy a coffee do they refill it for free or do they charge each time? What does a basic coffee cost? Are you allowed to bring ANY beverage aboard at all (water or wine) ? It's the water that is most upsetting to me; reminds me of Italy in the late eighties when the restaurants would hit you up for $6.00 a bottle and we drank a lot of water!

There is a charge for bottled water only. All other water, juice, coffee, tea, and milk is no extra charge. The extra charge coffees are the after dinner cappuccinos and espressos, as well as the coffees/teas at the Explorations Cafe. The prices for the "fancy" coffees at Explorations Cafe and post dinner are less than you would pay at a Starbucks. You may bring aboard as much soda pop and bottled water as you like. Also, each passenger may bring on a bottle of wine with no corkage fee. You can bring on as much wine as you want, but over and above the one wine bottle per passenger, there is a $18.00 corkage fee per bottle.

You are misunderstanding.

Tap water is free in your cabin, and ice is supplied twice a day. Glasses of water are freely poured in the restaurants, and there is a spigot for water in the Lido. Coffee, tea, and hot chocolate are available in the Lido 24/7, and can be ordered in the restaurants. You do have to pay for specialty coffees, however. You also pay for soda, wine, and alcoholic beverages.

You are allowed to bring aboard as much soda and water as you can carry, both at initial embarkation, and at all ports.

You are misunderstanding.

Tap water is free in your cabin, and ice is supplied twice a day. Glasses of water are freely poured in the restaurants, and there is a spigot for water in the Lido. Coffee, tea, and hot chocolate are available in the Lido 24/7, and can be ordered in the restaurants. You do have to pay for specialty coffees, however. You also pay for soda, wine, and alcoholic beverages.

You are allowed to bring aboard as much soda and water as you can carry, both at initial embarkation, and at all ports.

Thanks so much; this and your last post are most reassuring; soda is not our thing but water, and coffee for breakfast, are. The corkage fee is reasonable and given that we will be in Australia and New Zealand I'm sure we will take advantage of it.

Water is freeing poured and ice added if desired in any restaurant or Bar in board. In your cabin you can drink tap water and your steward will bring you ice twice a day. If you would like to purchase water it is available 1.5 liters (a big bottle) for $3.95 there were 4 in our cabin. 2 of the 4 had a note that they were included as a cabin amenity.

• 1 month later...

Since all three of us must buy the same package, it's not worth it for us. I want the quench for water and coffee. Can I bring on my own water.? The two guys will buy soda cards half price, that should work. Does HAL have a coffee program e.g. Buy 10 coffees get one free. For the occasional cocktail onboard my OBC will cover that. We are in 5 ports 4 at night so they can drink up a storm there. I can't drink alcohol. TIA

I wonder about the 21 age requirement. HAL ships are not registered in the U.S. and many other countries have 18 or 19 as the legal drinking age. HAL isn't bound by U.S. employment standards I believe so why the drinking age. I suppose the port the ship is docked in doesn't make any difference.

There was some joking at the recent hockey draft held in Las Vegas where the players were not allowed a drink to celebrate their drafting to the NHL.

Can you put some of your 15 drinks towards a bottle of wine rather than having to keep reordering a glass at at a time while in the MDR?

No, but you can order more than one glass at a time. 5 glasses = 1 750ml bottle. We typically ordered Champagne, and wines to pair with our appetizers and main courses. (We upgraded to the Elite Beverage Package to open up our wine choices. And to get real Champagne - Nicholas Feuillatte Brut.)

No, but you can order more than one glass at a time. 5 glasses = 1 750ml bottle. We typically ordered Champagne, and wines to pair with our appetizers and main courses. (We upgraded to the Elite Beverage Package to open up our wine choices. And to get real Champagne - Nicholas Feuillatte Brut.)

I always thought and have read on CC that it is one drink at a time.

Just back from Alaska where we had the package. The wine waiter soon got to know our preferred wine and though he poured us a glass each at a time he left the bottle on the table and topped us up frequently. The only issue we had was in the Cannaleto where although we had three lots of two drinks they put all six on one bill so we were charged - this was rectified the following day. The limit was $9 per drink.

I always thought and have read on CC that it is one drink at a time.

You have read it, but we ordered multiple glasses of wine at the beginning of each meal on the Eurodam in December with no problem. If you think about the logistics - If a guest knows that they want a glass of Champagne to start, Sauvignon Blanc with their appetizer, and Pinot Noir with their main course, does anyone gain anything if they can't order them all at once? We'd have to wait for wine. The wine steward would have to make three trips. It would be lose-lose.

IMO, ordering your wine pairings is different from trying to order three cocktails at once. I will say, however, that they let you order a double on the beverage packages. It counts as two towards your fifteen though.

• 2 months later...

It allows you to order a double or triple pour. Since HAL's drinks are not that big think of it as seven drinks but some water, beer, soda will reduce it.Never had 15 drinks but would be able to do if I wanted them. Bartenders are good about letting you use 1 card to get 2 sets of drinks so one can keep the lights on in the cabin on the newer ships. They just ring them up a minute or 2 later. With the rum drinks you can get 2 different rums in the same drink and it will have a better taste.