First Time Sailing on Voyager - Room help

Snore42

I'm currently booked in a Penthouse A category room on the Voyager. I keep looking at upgrading to the Grand Suite. Thoughts? Any negatives? I tried doing searches on the forums as well as on the web and can't find much information. I know it's a big upgrade and several additional amenities just trying to make sure it's the right move.

My first time on Regent.

Thanks for the help.

Jamie

We have stayed in penthouse a suite twice on Voyager. We were perfectly happy but it's not huge. If I'm still asleep in morning my husband gets dressed and goes out for coffee and reading paper. We don't need extra rooms but if you do that is certainly a consideration.

We have been in both the PH and Grand Suites on the Voyager. The Grand Suite is beautiful - the only negative is that the master bathroom is a bit small. They put the jacuzzi tub by the window off of the living room and probably thought it was fine to take the space away from the bathroom but we miss the space.

Another upgrade possibility is the Seven Seas or Voyager Suites - both have an extra half bath. We have yet to stay in a Seven Seas Suite (booked one for next year) but have stayed in a Voyager Suite. It is lovely and I'm not sure if we would pay extra to go from a Voyager Suite to a Grand Suite. On the other hand, we have upgraded to a Master Suite on the Voyager a couple of time and would do it again in a second! They are beautiful and, IMO, are roomier than the Master Suite on the Explorer.

Good luck getting an upsell offer.

1055 is a PHC so the room is the same size as a basic Voyager suite, albeit the balcony is larger.

The PHC on Voyager is much smaller than a PH or Horizon Suite on Mariner.

The location of 1055 means there is the potential for noise and/or vibration being aft and directly under La Veranda. The vibration on Voyager affects some guests more than others.

Be sure to leave your comments on the sticky 'Suiteguru' when you return from your cruise.

I think we are on the same cruise in August so see you on board very soon :)

I believe that flossie009 meant that the PH suite is the same size as a regular suite (categories "H" through "D") on the Voyager rather than a "Voyager suite" as the Voyager suites are 554 sq. ft. + a 50 ft. balcony. Agree that the location of the PHC suite could be problematic -- more due to the location below La Veranda than being aft. We have found that most suites on deck 10 on the Voyager have noise issues from above.

Bill, keep in mind that for people residing in the U.K./Europe, Mediterranean/Baltic itineraries are almost local. Pus, the special fares are so low that those of us in the U.S. cringe. For better or worse (I think it is for the better), almost everywhere that we go from the U.S. and Canada is international (i.e. quite far to travel). The two places that "we" can visit inexpensively (by Regent standards) is Alaska and the Caribbean. Our upcoming Alaska cruise has the Seven Seas Society discount and we used both the air and hotel credit plus found a "covert fare". If we could always sail Regent for the price we are paying for the Alaska cruise, we'd be cruising much more often.

August? Didn't you guys just get off a cruise in April?!? ;p

Yes, I don't quite know why we had to wait so long to get back on board ;)

We see this next cruise as part of our public service .............. keeping the Mediterranean economy going and filling up Regent's ships .............. someone has to do it! ;p

Anyway, thought you were off to the Baltic in August :cool:. Have a great time :D

I believe that flossie009 meant that the PH suite is the same size as a regular suite (categories "H" through "D") on the Voyager rather than a "Voyager suite" as the Voyager suites are 554 sq. ft. + a 50 ft. balcony. Agree that the location of the PHC suite could be problematic -- more due to the location below La Veranda than being aft. We have found that most suites on deck 10 on the Voyager have noise issues from above.

Bill, keep in mind that for people residing in the U.K./Europe, Mediterranean/Baltic itineraries are almost local. Pus, the special fares are so low that those of us in the U.S. cringe. For better or worse (I think it is for the better), almost everywhere that we go from the U.S. and Canada is international (i.e. quite far to travel). The two places that "we" can visit inexpensively (by Regent standards) is Alaska and the Caribbean. Our upcoming Alaska cruise has the Seven Seas Society discount and we used both the air and hotel credit plus found a "covert fare". If we could always sail Regent for the price we are paying for the Alaska cruise, we'd be cruising much more often.

Travelcat to say the above cruises you mention that you describe as almost local are not logistically local. A high proportion of guests like ourselves have 2 flights involved to reach the destination, also often involving an overnight stay in London pre second flight, which adds to the expense. Business class flights for U.K passengers is only included in Penthouse suites and above and this is only applicable for Mediterranean and Northern Europe cruises.

As you know any other cruise for U.K. Passengers if Business class is requested it's an extra expense.

Jean.

Travelcat to say the above cruises you mention that you describe as almost local are not logistically local. A high proportion of guests like ourselves have 2 flights involved to reach the destination, also often involving an overnight stay in London pre second flight, which adds to the expense. Business class flights for U.K passengers is only included in Penthouse suites and above and this is only applicable for Mediterranean and Northern Europe cruises.

As you know any other cruise for U.K. Passengers if Business class is requested it's an extra expense.

Jean.

It likely does not seem "local" to people in the U.K., but to people in the U.S. that fly 3,000 miles to get from Los Angeles to New York, it is. After your post, I checked three cities in terms of distance from London:

Barcelona - 923 miles

Rome - 1098

St. Petersburg - 1,683

Where we live we can't get non-stop fights to Las Vegas which is only 1,207 miles. And, if we were to fly from our local airport (Bellingham, WA) to Vancouver - only 50 miles away - we would have to fly to Seattle (100 miles from our home) and then back to Vancouver.

As usual, sharing information sometimes helps us to understand the challenges that we all go through. They are not the same challenges but are challenges nevertheless.

P.S. There is no "Business Class" across the U.S. using Regent - mainly because "Business Class" does not exist on many airplanes - only First and Coach. Had we upgraded from Coach to First Class - roundtrip to Miami through Regent (not non-stop), the cost would have been $3,200 for the two of us (approximately 2,500 GBP). The distance from Vancouver airport to Miami is one of the longest flights that one can do (3,428 miles). U.S. airlines consider Canada and Mexico to be "local" flights (meaning that - even if you pay for First Class, you cannot use the lounges for the airlines). The one exception that I know of for U.S. based airlines is Alaska Air - you can use their lounges but their flights are quite limited I(but may be less so now that they have purchased Virgin America). Fortunately, most of us have credit cards that allow us into airport lounges!

P.S. There is no "Business Class" across the U.S. using Regent - mainly because "Business Class" does not exist on many airplanes - only First and Coach.

For flights within Europe, there are usually only Business & Economy classes on a flight.

Edited by rarin2go
grammar

For flights within Europe, there are usually only Business & Economy classes on a flight.

................... and for Business class in Europe you get very little extra for your money. Most airlines us the same seat width/pitch for both Business and Economy on flights within Europe.

Good point. BA has the three seats across with the middle seat blocked in what they call Business Class. However, they do serve decent food.

• 10 months later...