Security Lines in Airports: Seattle, Detroit, others

sleepless

Haven't heard much about the long security check in lines at air ports recently. It has faded from the evening news. Is it still an issue?

I am interested in Detroit Metro and Seattle because of my upcoming cruise. Flying out of Detroit on July 6th, then leaving Seattle July 15.

I am sure others who have cruises planned in the wondering about the long lines also.

If you have flown recently, please report info about the security check lines so that upcoming travelers have an idea what is going on. (I know that things can change day by day, and hour by hour - and that emergencies do come in to play).

A couple of points to consider:

There are several different security screening points at DTW. One is especially "well hidden" and usually has less crowds. Can't give more details as my memory is fuzzy, but keep your eyes peeled for a level separate from the one where baggage check-in occurs.

SEA has multiple checkpoints, all of which lead to a single secured area. So you can use any one, not just near your concourse. Additional SEA consideration - you'll be one of a couple thousand coming off your ship (and perhaps another), so there WILL be a crowd with all trying to leave town on the same day. DTW will not have that kind of surge traffic.

Haven't heard much about the long security check in lines at air ports recently. It has faded from the evening news. Is it still an issue?

I am interested in Detroit Metro and Seattle because of my upcoming cruise. Flying out of Detroit on July 6th, then leaving Seattle July 15.

I am sure others who have cruises planned in the wondering about the long lines also.

If you have flown recently, please report info about the security check lines so that upcoming travelers have an idea what is going on. (I know that things can change day by day, and hour by hour - and that emergencies do come in to play).

Which airline out of DTW? Delta and skyteam friends for the most part are in McNamara...everyone else is in North.

Went out of McNamara late last month just after the TSA line fiasco. We had Precheck and breezed through. Regular line wasn't long. But, that was one point in time empirical evidence and things can change - it seemed to be a slow airport day.

Note: The Westin also has a McNamara check-in, for those staying in the hotel. Short lines there - but it opens a bit later than the regular TSA check points.

SEA has multiple checkpoints, all of which lead to a single secured area. So you can use any one, not just near your concourse.

There's also a new sign inside the airport - probably at different locations - that shows what current wait times are at the various checkpoints. These can vary widely - from under 15 min. to over an hour. This should help even out and balance the queues. The Port of Seattle plans to put this information online as soon as they can set up the app/link.

I went through pre check TSA line yesterday (Wednesday at about 8:30AM.

Line appeared to be a mile long. Actual time from entering the TSA Pre Check line, to taking my stuff off the scanner belt was about 9 minutes.

The simplest rule: Be prepared for worst case and long delays and be pleasantly surprised if it goes much faster.

And for those who say "What do I do later when I have to sit and wait?" - there is this marvelous invention nowdays called a "book". Conveys information, entertainment and enlightenment, all without electricity, batteries, wires or wifi. Or, perhaps engage in a conversation.

[off soapbox]

The simplest rule: Be prepared for worst case and long delays and be pleasantly surprised if it goes much faster.

And for those who say "What do I do later when I have to sit and wait?" - there is this marvelous invention nowdays called a "book". Conveys information, entertainment and enlightenment, all without electricity, batteries, wires or wifi. Or, perhaps engage in a conversation.

[off soapbox]

Excellent advice.

The reality is that no one knows for sure and history means nothing and the experience can vary day by day or even hour by hour.

Sort of how long will I wait to go through customs/immigration returning to the USA (eg, without global entry).

Keith

In the past two months...

RDU half a dozen times, two in front of me with PreCheck pretty much every time. Regular line was 10-15 minutes every time. Mostly weekdays/nights.

MCO continues to be a snafu regardless of the day/time, Sunday's when cruises are coming in and theme park people are clearing out seems to be one of the worst. Even Pre can be 10+ minutes, Clear seems to be a few minutes faster. Sat am is around five minutes with Pre, 30+ without.

PHX was under five minutes with Pre, chaos without it on a Monday morning.

AUS was under five minutes with Pre, 20+ without.

Departed SEA this past Thursday (6/30). Zipped through TSA pre-check at 4:30 a.m. at checkpoint 3 (so yes, it was open that early, but apparently that varies). There was already a long line for regular security.