Kosher food on Carnival???

neverthought

I'm hoping someone can help me. I also posted this on the Floataway board, but received only one answer. Our DD & SIL are planning their first cruise and will be cruising w/Carnival. Does anyone have first hand knowledge of the kosher meals they will be served? Is it prepackaged and how is the taste? Should they bring their own food? I can't imagine that would be allowed! They were told by a cruise consultant they could, but we all know they tell you what they think you want to hear.;) Any information will be very helpful. Just want them to have a wonderful time on their first cruise.

Thanks,

Neverthought

I'm hoping someone can help me. I also posted this on the Floataway board, but received only one answer. Our DD & SIL are planning their first cruise and will be cruising w/Carnival. Does anyone have first hand knowledge of the kosher meals they will be served? Is it prepackaged and how is the taste? Should they bring their own food? I can't imagine that would be allowed! They were told by a cruise consultant they could, but we all know they tell you what they think you want to hear.;) Any information will be very helpful. Just want them to have a wonderful time on their first cruise.

Thanks,

Neverthought

Here's the dealie on special diets. Give 'em a call!!

Can special diets be accommodated?

Guests with special diet requirements can be accommodated on Carnival Cruise Lines. We do not have dieticians onboard; therefore, we can only offer assistance with simple requests such as the method of preparation of menu items. Special diet requirements need to be arranged with the guest's headwaiter on the first night of the cruise. Every menu (in the dining room) has Spa Carnival Cuisine Fare. These items are lower in calories, sodium, cholesterol and fat. Salads are prepared with diet dressing. Desserts are prepared with Sweet'N Low or NutraSweet instead of sugar. In addition, each menu has one vegetarian entree. Low-cholesterol egg substitute is available upon request as well as diet jellies at breakfast.

The following special dietary meals can be prepared onboard:

• Vegetarian
  • Low-cholesterol
  • Low-fat
  • Low-carbohydrates
  • Low-sugar
  • Gluten-free
  • Kosher (limited selections and quantities available - call Reservations two weeks prior to sailing to request Kosher meals)

The following food is not available onboard:

• Baby food and formula

Thanks,

Neverthought

My suggestion is to get in touch with their Special Needs folks.

You can call Carnival to get an answer but if memory serves me correctly (when an aunt sailed) the food was prepackaged.

I have no idea how it tasted.

My suggestion is to vegetarian (or fish) on the cruise. Plenty of salads. At dinner a plate can be made up with vegetables of the evening.

Thanks,

Neverthought

Here is some info from bookccl.com regarding Kosher meals:

General Information

• Due to the limited choices, guests may still opt to bring their own pre-packaged meals or they may have the meals delivered to the ship. Guest Solutions will handle these requests as there are specific procedures regarding delivery and storage of the meals.
  • There are no selections for breakfast-type food but guests may order from the selections below.
  • The Kosher meals will only be served in the Main Dining Room during breakfast, lunch and dinner. When the ship is in port and the Main Dining Room is closed for lunch, arrangements can be made for the meal to be delivered by Room Service to the guest’s stateroom.

Description of Selections

• Roast Breast of Chicken with Sweet Noodle Kugel (pronounced KOO-gul), Carrots Tzimmise (pronounced TSIM-us) with Prunes
  • Pot Roast with Kishka (pronounced KISH-kuh) Oriental Vegetable Souffle
  • Turkey Schnitzel with Sweet Potato Spears and Spinach Croquettes
  • Fillet of Salmon with Steamed White Rice and Green Beans

Description of Meal

• Webermans Traditional Foods of Miami, Florida is the supplier of the meals.
  • The meals are Glatt Kosher.
  • Meals are delivered to the ship in frozen containers with double sealed plastic wrap.
  • A steamer is used to warm up the meals and served on disposable plates.

You also might find some info on http://www.webermanfoods.com/

It's nice to see that Carnival is finally serving kosher meals.

On HAL I have seen the meals served sealed with plastic utensils.

Depending on their level of Kosher, fish and vegetarian food is available, but it is prepared/served with the ship's utensils/plates. Most vegetarian options do have cheese.

The meals will be served in the MDR and *possibly* through room service. The MDR is closed for lunch during port days. The first night's meal *might* have some problems. Have them see the Maitre d' when they board.

We alway bring commercially packaged bars, nuts etc with us. I have read about people with Gluten Free diets bringing food onboard to be cooked. I doubt the ship will kasher an area for their meals.

FYI- There are some kosher tour operators that will kasher a kitchen and use new plates for a kosher cruise.

• 3 years later...

Does anyone have any recent information about the kosher food served on Carnival (leaving Miami). Is it still the Weberman frozen meals. I heard most people say these are decent.

Do I need to bring my own snacks (for my young children) or do they provide kosher snacks as well?

Any info/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Does anyone have any recent information about the kosher food served on Carnival (leaving Miami). Is it still the Weberman frozen meals. I heard most people say these are decent.

Do I need to bring my own snacks (for my young children) or do they provide kosher snacks as well?

Any info/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ask Carnival

If you need additional information, please contact us specialneeds@carnival.com

http://www.carnival.com/legal/guests-special-requirements.aspx

It is definetly going to depend on your level of kosher.

On the buffet there are many things that can be considered kosher foods (fruits, vegetables, cereal, fish and eggs) but are cooked on, plated on and served with non-kosher utensils and plates.

The kosher foods are frozen, served on paper with disposible utensils. You open it at the table.

I understand that these need to be ordered before your cruise.

Found this on the goccl site

https://www.goccl.com/~/media/Files/Irman/bookccl/shipboard_knowledge/Kosher_Meals.htm

We always bring some commercially prepackaged snack foods with us.

For shore you can only bring off commercially, prepackaged foods. You cannot bring off any fruit, vegetables or meat. We usually bring off a few cereal boxes.

• 2 months later...

Yes we did order the kosher meals in advance. I guess I'll just bring some snacks along to make sure the kids have snacks. I we could eat fresh whole fruits, yogurt with a hechsher on it, etc. Do they give packaged snacks to children in the children's program or everything just open packages? Thank you.

The yogurt is a brand I have never heard of. I don't like the flavors (usually strawberry and peach) so I've never looked for a hechsher.

I have seen hechshers on the mix for the soft serve.:)

The snacks served to our kids have always been trayed and open. The kids club dinners are up in the buffet and defintely not kosher.

FWIW the morning cereals are usually travel size boxes of Frosted Flakes, Cheerios, Froot Loops, Rice Krispies. There are a few others. We will bring a box or two off with us into port.

Archived