Golden Princess in Melbourne

Just check the Melbourne port schedule and on 30th October 2015 Golden Princess is showing on the arrival and departure port schedule.It does look like it is using Melbourne as a home port. Interestingly, Dawn, Sun or Sea Princess does not show on the list for this season. We will have to wait until Princess releases the 2015-2016 season to see what is happening with their ships.

http://www.portofmelbourne.com/port-operations/cruise-shipping-and-station-pier/cruise-schedule-3

Interesting . The dates indicate that for 2015-16 Golden Princess will be doing the round trip New Zealand trips ex Melbourne. BUT the following year the berths are booked again for Dawn Princess .

I don't think the Golden Princess will be coming down-under :), I think you will find that is just Princess booking space at the port for there ships, so they don't miss out on a spot.

If you check the port website in a months time, I think it will show the ship that will be there.

I don't think the Golden Princess will be coming down-under :), I think you will find that is just Princess booking space at the port for there ships, so they don't miss out on a spot.

If you check the port website in a months time, I think it will show the ship that will be there.

Do you know this for a fact? It seems pretty strange that they would choose Golden Princess to book space at the port, rather than one of the ships that are normally based in Australia. Why not just book the space with TBA like Carnival did at the OPT before they announced the Legend was coming here...?

Yeah why not just reserve with sea dawn or sun. It be nice to have another different princess ship. If its true somewest coasters usa cruisers are going to scream. Cruises out of Melbourne sell really well maybe princess want to maximise revenue. They have to heavy discount cruises on west coast . Give them the dawn.

Edited by icat2000

Well all this is very interesting - we are on the Golden Princess out of Los Angeles (to Rio) at the beginning of December - I would be very surprised if it was beginning a season around Australia & New Zealand at that time if it was still our ship from LA in December.:)

Sorry - sorry - sorry. I have just re-read the original post and I see that it is October 2015 that is mentioned. Our cruise out of LA on the Golden Princess is this December - 2014. Sorry again.:)

Posted on main Princess forum. Will be interesting to see any comments about a potential shift. Might make a nice repo from LA to Melbourne too. I wonder if its to combat some of RCL moves. I mean Princess has really creamed the market with those three ships Sea, Dawn and Sun Princess for years now. But they are getting a little bit tired.

Edited by icat2000

Noordam is also a Vista Class ship. She is a sister ship to the Oosterdam...perhaps they going to have a swap around.:D

If you look at the HAL boards you will find confirmation that the Noordam will take over from the Oosterdam in our part of the world.

I was just on Golden Princess for 31 nights around South America from Buenos Aires to Los Angeles. It is an outstanding ship in great shape and is a perfect large size with decent passenger ratio.

I am very careful about which ships I sail on. Our of the entire Princess fleet I will only sail on certain ships. I WILL NOT sail on Crown, Emerald, Ruby or Caribbean Princess as these ships are basically an antiquated grand class design with too many passengers and not enough public space to cater to the excess passengers. Having tried many ships including one of that style I know what I am talking about.

Out of all the Princess ships the top of the list for me are Diamond, Sapphire, Grand, Golden, Star, Coral and Island Princess.

So for me with Golden Princess in my list of top ships to sail on I would be excited to see this ship down here and would certainly consider it for a cruise.

The Sun, Dawn and Sea Princess are ok but they lack a covered swimming pool for poor weather and their pools never appear to be heated when on them. The ships are ok for short cruises but I would never dream of doing those ships for a really long voyage. I would be crazy to consider them for a world cruise. Their space ratio is also not as generous as the Grand, Golden and Star.

Do you know this for a fact? It seems pretty strange that they would choose Golden Princess to book space at the port, rather than one of the ships that are normally based in Australia. Why not just book the space with TBA like Carnival did at the OPT before they announced the Legend was coming here...?
Yeah why not just reserve with sea dawn or sun. It be nice to have another different princess ship. If its true somewest coasters usa cruisers are going to scream. Cruises out of Melbourne sell really well maybe princess want to maximise revenue. They have to heavy discount cruises on west coast . Give them the dawn.

Maybe Princess is at the moment just working out and booking space for where all there ships are going to be so they are just using any ship name. ( I have seen this happen before), maybe the Golden Princess will turn out to be the Diamond Princess or Sapphire Princess???

We will just have to wait and see what Princess release over the next month and if the ports schedules change.

Just check the Melbourne port schedule and on 30th October 2015 Golden Princess is showing on the arrival and departure port schedule.It does look like it is using Melbourne as a home port. Interestingly, Dawn, Sun or Sea Princess does not show on the list for this season. We will have to wait until Princess releases the 2015-2016 season to see what is happening with their ships.

http://www.portofmelbourne.com/port-operations/cruise-shipping-and-station-pier/cruise-schedule-3

Thanks Michael. The Dawn is returning to Melbourne on 25th October 2015 after completing a 35 day Pacific cruise out of Sydney. We are booked on it. Its arrival is not on the port schedule so whereto from there is a mystery until Princess release further itineraries for 15-16. Barry :)

Well, with two new ships joining the fleet (being Royal and Regal), I wonder if maybe Princess is getting ready to move Sun or Dawn on (to P&O for example) and replace one with Golden Princess. They are the oldest ships in the fleet...

Well, with two new ships joining the fleet (being Royal and Regal), I wonder if maybe Princess is getting ready to move Sun or Dawn on (to P&O for example) and replace one with Golden Princess. They are the oldest ships in the fleet...

Or replacing the Diamond Princess...