First Time -Venice - Saturday & Sunday

SOPOME

We will be visiting post cruise on a Saturday and Sunday. I've read that most all the stores are closed on Sunday..is that right? For those of you who know Venice well.. how do you recommend we use our time wisely for a weekend visit? We had hoped to see Murano and Burano...but that might be unrealistic especially if most of the stores/glass factories are closed on Sundays? We are staying at a B&B in San Marco, so will be well situated to explore! Thanks for helping me decide how to best use our time!

if you are traveling during high season then mostly everything will be open. Does your cruise leave late Sunday?.I would visit Murano and Burano on Saturday ,returning late afternoon or early evening to Venice. Maybe coffee in St.Marks Square?! Spending Sunday to stroll through Venice.

if you are traveling during high season then mostly everything will be open. Does your cruise leave late Sunday?.I would visit Murano and Burano on Saturday ,returning late afternoon or early evening to Venice. Maybe coffee in St.Marks Square?! Spending Sunday to stroll through Venice.

Thanks for your suggestions! Our cruise actually ends in Venice on Saturday morning and our flight home is Monday afternoon!

Thanks for your suggestions! Our cruise actually ends in Venice on Saturday morning and our flight home is Monday afternoon!

I noticed some shops opened later on Sundays. Your going to have a great time!!

This is a question I'd also like an answer to. What is the "high season?" We will be in Venice in mid-Oct for two days pre-cruise, on a Saturday and Sunday. If stuff shuts down on Sunday then, we will tailor our activities accordingly. But I'd like to know.

We can save the quiet walking and marvelling for Sunday if nothing much is open then.

This is a question I'd also like an answer to. What is the "high season?" We will be in Venice in mid-Oct for two days pre-cruise, on a Saturday and Sunday. If stuff shuts down on Sunday then, we will tailor our activities accordingly. But I'd like to know.

We can save the quiet walking and marvelling for Sunday if nothing much is open then.

Taken from trip advisor…

High season in Venice is pretty much year-round, from March through October. Add Christmas/New Year's and the three weeks of Carnevale to that, and it doesn't leave much low season. The Biennale and the Film Festival don't change low to high or vice-versa: the onslaught is only for the opening days when the movers and shakers are in town. Some places consider the month of August (sometimes starting mid-July) low season.

But there are no hard and fast rules: it's all about supply and demand.

What kind of "stuff" are you specifically asking about? Most things tourists will want to see -- St. Mark's, Doge's Palace, museums -- are open on Sundays. (Although St. Mark's basilica will be closed for several hours to visitors during mass on Sunday morning.)

Some local shops may be closed on Sunday. But many more that cater to tourists will be open.

We were in Venice in May post cruise on a Sat and all day on the Sunday that we returned and there was plenty to do - all the tourist spots are open. I could not tell a difference between the two. The only time you really see a difference is in the evening when those not staying in Venice leave - it is really kind of quiet and peaceful. So plan to stay in Venice overnight if you can.

What kind of "stuff" are you specifically asking about? Most things tourists will want to see -- St. Mark's, Doge's Palace, museums -- are open on Sundays. (Although St. Mark's basilica will be closed for several hours to visitors during mass on Sunday morning.)

Some local shops may be closed on Sunday. But many more that cater to tourists will be open.

Ah, that's just the kind of stuff I want to know. Thanks. So we'll be sure to go to St. Mark's on Saturday. And local shops do interest me - I like seeing what the people who live in a place are buying, and some of my favorite purchases on my travels have come from grocery stores. So Saturday might be best for that kind of activity.

How about the Rialto Market? Does it operate on the weekends? If so, does it operate equally on Sundays? I loved that place, but if many of the vendors were closed, well, it would be different.

From what people have written, it sounds like restaurants will be operating, but how about coffee shops, places to get a quick snack, that kind of thing? Closed on Sunday, particularly in the morning?

Do the vaporetti operate the same schedule on weekends, and especially on Sundays? Or is there a reduced schedule?

Thanks in advance for any info people can share.

Edited by wassup4565

Ah, that's just the kind of stuff I want to know. Thanks. So we'll be sure to go to St. Mark's on Saturday. And local shops do interest me - I like seeing what the people who live in a place are buying, and some of my favorite purchases on my travels have come from grocery stores. So Saturday might be best for that kind of activity.

How about the Rialto Market? Does it operate on the weekends? If so, does it operate equally on Sundays? I loved that place, but if many of the vendors were closed, well, it would be different.

From what people have written, it sounds like restaurants will be operating, but how about coffee shops, places to get a quick snack, that kind of thing? Closed on Sunday, particularly in the morning?

Do the vaporetti operate the same schedule on weekends, and especially on Sundays? Or is there a reduced schedule?

Thanks in advance for any info people can share.

The fish and produce part of the Rialto market doesn't operate on Sundays.

Vaporetti schedules are the same on Sundays, as far as I can tell. The actv website has all the schedules:

http://www.actv.it/

You shouldn't have any problem finding bars (where you would go in Italy for a coffee or often a quick snack, not just a drink) open on Sunday.

Thanks, cruisemom, very helpful. So now the plans are clarifying. St. Mark's and the Rialto Market on Saturday, plus local stores (like grocery). Walking around admiring Venice, riding the vaporetto, having coffee, and buying souvenirs on Sunday.

Thanks especially for the info about bars not being just for drinks - I didn't know that.

• 1 year later...

I know that this is an older thread. I don't think that I should start a new one. I hope that someone can help me.

Same thing. Sat & Sun in Venice.

We arrive at 2:30 pm . Our hotel is in the St Mark area, they say a 5 min walk to the square. I am assuming that all museums , Cath, etc will be closing by the time we check in. I get, it take a stroll and dinner and hopefully a gondola ride.

Question. What time do they pick you up to get to the ship? Will I have time for the palace, or museum? The ships sailing time is 9:00 pm

The hotel is Bonvecchiati .

Thanks for any help.