venice--do I need advance tickets-Doges Palace?

elaine5

in Venice in mid-Aug., if I do not need a tour, do I still need to get advance tickets to Doges Palace---do they EVER run out of tickets? I know to pop over to the Correr to buy them----but how long will that line still be?

When we were there at the end of May on a Sat. afternoon, we just walked in and bought tickets - but during the summer tourist season, you may have lines - it was spectacular and a "not to be missed" experience for me. If you want to be sure, buy in advance if you can. Otherwise, if you don't mind missing it, just take your chances.

in Venice in mid-Aug., if I do not need a tour, do I still need to get advance tickets to Doges Palace---do they EVER run out of tickets? I know to pop over to the Correr to buy them----but how long will that line still be?

You can get tickets at reduced price on http://www.veniceconnected.com

They have reduced rates for seniors as well. Take your internet printout to the head of the priority line. No need to take a tour. Rick Steeve's book gives you the info you need.

If you buy a vaporetto pass as well, you pick up your vaporetto pass at a venice connected desk at the airport, St. Mark's or P. Roma

You can also get your pass at a vaporetto ticket machine at most of the major stops

If you know when and really want to go, get pre-reserved. IMHO the few extra euros is well worth it. Spend thousands on the cruise/airfare the last place is to waste is "time." There were long lines when we went, but it was the height of tourist season and hot too.

You can get tickets at reduced price on http://www.veniceconnected.com

They have reduced rates for seniors as well. Take your internet printout to the head of the priority line. No need to take a tour. Rick Steeve's book gives you the info you need.

If you buy a vaporetto pass as well, you pick up your vaporetto pass at a venice connected desk at the airport, St. Mark's or P. Roma

You can also get your pass at a vaporetto ticket machine at most of the major stops

We did this and skipped the line. You could also just pop over to Correr and buy them there. If you don't want to mess with pre buying - that's what I would do. Do NOT wait in line at the Doge's Palace.

We did this and skipped the line. You could also just pop over to Correr and buy them there. If you don't want to mess with pre buying - that's what I would do. Do NOT wait in line at the Doge's Palace.

Did you visit the Correr Museo as well or just bought the tickets for the Doge's Palace there?

What's the difference between the general admission to Doges Palace and the Secret Itinerary Tour ?

The Secret Itinerary Tour is a guided tour of rooms not open to the general public and is well worth the extra cost IMHO. We visited Venice on the Magic last week and the queues for the Palace, the Cathedral & the Bell Tower were horrendous so whatever tour you decide to take I would suggest pre booking.

Mike

Did you visit the Correr Museo as well or just bought the tickets for the Doge's Palace there?

We pre-ordered the museum pass since we were there 5 days total. But, for a single day, I'd pop over to Correr to buy the tickets whether you want to see Correr or not. You don't need to go in when you buy the ticket (since it's a combo ticket). And make sure you look for the area to skip the line - you don't have to stand in it - but you'll have to walk around some people who may give you dirty looks because they didn't know the trick ;)

I just want to make sure - Secret Itinerary Tour includes also rest of the Palace, right? I dont need to pay extra and after Secret Itinerary Tour is over I can enter the "public" part of the Palace?

I just want to make sure - Secret Itinerary Tour includes also rest of the Palace, right? I dont need to pay extra and after Secret Itinerary Tour is over I can enter the "public" part of the Palace?

Yes, after the Secret tour you are free to explore the rest of the Palace & there is plenty to see!

I concur with early postings. We just came back from the Ruby Princess and Venice was PACKED!!!! We had prepaid the Doge's Palace Secret Tour and it was wonderful. No waiting on line, the tour with Roberta was incredible. It is only given 2-3 times a day and morning only during the summer months due to the intense heat and its tin roofs. After the hour tour you are free to do the museum on your own (you could probably do it before as well) but be prepared for the crowds. You go from this intimate experience to a zoo. The Doge's was highlight for us. I only had a small problem during the regular visit at the end with the prison area with claustrophobia/ It was very hot, very crowded and I couldn't deal with the space down there.

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...

Right now, for our date, the only time available for the secret itineraries tour is 9:55am. We will be debarking our cruise that morning. Our hotel is near where the ship docks. Do you think we would be able to make it to Saint Mark's square in time?

Thanks to everyone for all these tips. I just booked two tickets for the Secret Tour, online. 20 Euros per person.

I booked tickets for May 19. There were three tours listed for the day, but the first tour was already sold out, so we are booked for the second. So, if you're interested in doing this tour, I would book as soon as possible if you're going in the next few months.

Thanks to everyone for all these tips. I just booked two tickets for the Secret Tour, online. 20 Euros per person.

Wow, that seems wonderful. Two years ago I did the ordinary, regular tour and it cost €16, for which I didn't begrudge a cent, as it is stunning, but I wish I'd known about the SI tour (my fault, of course) as it's so little extra. This is what you see if you just show up on the day and take a regular tour. All the best, Tony

[YOUTUBE]Jh7lPFe12ao[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by Cornishpastyman1