Best Spice Tour on Grenada?

RS79

My wife and I are doing the Caribbean on Emerald Princess at the end of November. Grenada is one of the ports of call, and we were wondering what people's opinions are as to the best spice tour on the island. Thanks.

I would also recommend Mandoo. We spent the day with him last December and loved it.

If you would like to read a review of our day, please feel free to visit our blog at http://www.thenextjourney.com/2011/12/grenada-spices-mona-monkeys-annandale-falls/

What a well done blog! I'm going to save and go back to read your other port stops. There are so many posts on Grenada tour tips I'm having difficulty going through them. But Noted that some tours are "All Day" - 8 hours.

Our port stop in January (on the Vision of Seas) is only from 7-2 and that means on board by 1pm. How long was Mandoo's tour. Also looking for other spice stours that don't include a lot of time at beach as we don't do sun well.

Thanks for help and advice.

steve

• 3 weeks later...

I am thrilled to continue reading such wonderful comments, about Mandoo's excursions.

I have booked his Spice Plantation one, for February 2013. He is very easy to communicate with, and the reservation process was simple.

Looking forward to my first visit to Grenada!

I am thrilled to continue reading such wonderful comments, about Mandoo's excursions.

I have booked his Spice Plantation one, for February 2013. He is very easy to communicate with, and the reservation process was simple.

Looking forward to my first visit to Grenada!

Surprizing I wrote him tio explain that our Cruise is onlt in Grenada for 5 hours and that we'd need a 4 hour tour - not listed on his website. He replied FAST saying that he had a 4 hour one and described it, but when I wrote back to ask the price, he hasn't replied after almost 10 days. I emailed him again three days ago and no reply. I hope he does reply. It did sound interesting.

Steve

SteveInPhilly;

Keep trying to book Mandoo; he is slower responding than some other tour operators, I have communicated with.

But 10 days seems unusual. I exchanged emails with him, over a week period, to

finalize my reservation. My 4 hour tour will start at 8:30AM., in February 2013.

Initially, I also had some doubts about his communication pattern. I would re-send

some messages, to insure that he hadn't overlooked the previous ones.

But finally I have confirmation from him/directions to the meeting place,etc.

Keep the faith in Philly.

• 3 weeks later...

Mandoo's website currently indicates that his half-day tours run in the $60 USD range. I've corresponded with him a few times to get tour details and he has always responded quickly. If you still don't have a response, that may indicate some kind of technical glitch. I bet if you re-submit your question you'll get an answer within a day.

Mandoo's website currently indicates that his half-day tours run in the $60 USD range. I've corresponded with him a few times to get tour details and he has always responded quickly. If you still don't have a response, that may indicate some kind of technical glitch. I bet if you re-submit your question you'll get an answer within a day.

I did hear from him and he has us on the list. The half-day for CRUISE PASSENGERS is $45.00

Steve

• 9 months later...

We arranged for a 4-hour half-day half day "Spice Plantation Route" tour with Mandoo Tours. It ran from 8am to noon plus beach time. The spice plantation route is going to give you a great feel of the island. We visited the Douglaston Spice Depot where we saw a presentation on many of Grenada's spices, and where fresh quality spices were available for purchase. We drove through the lush volcanic mountains to where multiple spice plants, cocoa and bananas plantations were pointed out to us. Great photo shots. We visited Grand Etang Crater Lake where we saw our first Mona monkey. We drove through the rain forest and made a stop at Annandale Waterfall. At the end of the tour we were given time at the beach and then returned to the ship. We had lunch on the ship and then walked to Fort George, very close to the ship. We exited the pier terminal and turned right. There is a stairwell to the right of a tunnel. Just keep climbing until you get to the top. It's about a 15 minute walk up stone stairs and ramps. This might have been an awesome fort at one time. It has fallen into disrepair and is being used for multiple other purposes. Really too bad. However Fort George will give you lots of photo opportunities from its elevated point. Recommended!

Folks we talked to that took the longer tours, in general, felt they were too long. We thought ours was "just right" and worthwhile.

More "Secrets of the Caribbean": http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/caribbean-secrets.html

Edited by CaribbeanBound

• 3 months later...
We arranged for a 4-hour half-day half day "Spice Plantation Route" tour with Mandoo Tours. It ran from 8am to noon plus beach time. The spice plantation route is going to give you a great feel of the island. We visited the Douglaston Spice Depot where we saw a presentation on many of Grenada's spices, and where fresh quality spices were available for purchase. We drove through the lush volcanic mountains to where multiple spice plants, cocoa and bananas plantations were pointed out to us. Great photo shots. We visited Grand Etang Crater Lake where we saw our first Mona monkey. We drove through the rain forest and made a stop at Annandale Waterfall. At the end of the tour we were given time at the beach and then returned to the ship. We had lunch on the ship and then walked to Fort George, very close to the ship. We exited the pier terminal and turned right. There is a stairwell to the right of a tunnel. Just keep climbing until you get to the top. It's about a 15 minute walk up stone stairs and ramps. This might have been an awesome fort at one time. It has fallen into disrepair and is being used for multiple other purposes. Really too bad. However Fort George will give you lots of photo opportunities from its elevated point. Recommended!

Folks we talked to that took the longer tours, in general, felt they were too long. We thought ours was "just right" and worthwhile.

More "Secrets of the Caribbean": http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/caribbean-secrets.html

Thank you so much for the detailed info, this really helped me figure out what I want to do in Grenada!

Thank you so much for the detailed info, this really helped me figure out what I want to do in Grenada!

Helped me too! I booked Mandoo for last January and I had to cancel while cruise. We booked same itineary for Legend of the seas for next week 1/13 and signed up for Mandoo again. THIS time I'll get there! :D

Steve

Surprizing I wrote him tio explain that our Cruise is onlt in Grenada for 5 hours and that we'd need a 4 hour tour - not listed on his website. He replied FAST saying that he had a 4 hour one and described it, but when I wrote back to ask the price, he hasn't replied after almost 10 days. I emailed him again three days ago and no reply. I hope he does reply. It did sound interesting.

Steve

Yes, I am hoping someone will clarify. I too emailed him, told him the number of people and which tour and he acted like that was fine. Nothing like-I will keep your spot or a down-payment. Anyone experience the same? Just was not sure that we were 'in.'

• 2 weeks later...

We booked Mandoo for our party of 7. He said there was 8 other people booked with him and that he had a bus that held 21. I really want him to be our guide and I'm worried we're going to be put in an overflow van. Has anyone experienced this many people booked with him?