Norovirus compensation?

bobpell

Has anyone that went through this debilitating sickness received compensation afterwards?

Thanks

bobpell

I can only imagine this if you could prove the cruise line was negligent.

Noro happens on land all of the time....I never hear of any compensation coming to parents of school children that bring it home.

The difference is that schools/hotels/resorts don't have to report it. Cruise lines do.

I don't think anyone receives compensation for a Noro outbreak unless the cruise is physically cut short. I've seen this happen on other cruise lines where a thorough cleaning is needed and the cruise ship needs to be taken offline for a couple of days.

I also don't think the cruise line would necessarily be at fault for anyone getting noro in my opinion. I think it's going to be difficult to prove who brought on the virus, and unfortunately I believe it's the people who are sick who do not take the proper precautions of quarantining themselves to their room when they know they are sick that causes these outbreaks.

Sorry if you experienced this during your cruise though.

Edited by absolutboy20

Has anyone that went through this debilitating sickness received compensation afterwards?

Thanks

bobpell

What if it is discovered that you, the OP is the source of the Noro outbreak? May we count on adequate compensation from you for our suffering? Thanks.

In 2008, we were on a 14-night cruise on the Volendam from New Zealand to Australia. We spent 12 days/nights in Code Red. The next to last night, the Captain gave us all free drinks in the dining room. (We don't drink alcohol so we had virgin drinks.) I thought that was a nice gesture.

Robin

On our B2B Panama Canal trip in 2012, we paid for the thermal suite package - it was discounted since we signed up as a couple, then discounted some more because the saunas were out of order. We were in code red 26 of the 28 days and couldn't use the hot tub in the thermal suite. So all we got for the money was the heated loungers. DS asked if we could get a rebate - they said no. He asked again and again (maybe about 6 times). They said no then you-knew-what-the-terms-were-when-you-signed-up then eventually they'd check with the supervisor. Heard nothing back but did have about 1/3 credited to our account the last day. They didn't have to do that, so we appreciated it. Also, on each leg of that cruise only one other couple signed up so there was a very limited amount of refunding to do if they refunded for all, although I have no way of knowing if anyone else asked.

Other than that, we did get free champagne (non-alcoholic in our case) one night during each leg and an open bar during happy hour one night. That seemed quite generous.

My question to the OP is that if you go out for a day at a local mall and get a cold or noro the next day do you expect the shopping mall to compensate you? If your child catches the flu while at school do you expect the school system to compensate you? Why do you expect a cruise line to compensate folks who get sick?

Hank

The word debilitating sounds like you are thinking about a possible lawsuit.

I've gotten Noro and while miserable for about 5-8 hours it wasn't debilitating. I felt much better the next morning and a day later I was fine.

Considering that most Noro is brought on board by people that pick it up while traveling I would think that the blame should be on the carrier they used to get to the ship. People aren't contagious until symptoms start and believe me it starts quickly and without mercy. Now those that know they have it and continue to mingle about the ship- that is another story.....

thanks for the enlightening responses

As for going to the mall and contracting a virus I am certain I didn't pay $3,000 to $4,000 for that much anticipated holiday

This topic has arisen in the media frequently and we were musing over two glasses of plonk!!

Thanks again

bobpell

When my husband got the norovirus or perhaps food poisoning on a Ryndam cruise he was quaranteened for 2 days.

We returned all our Shore Excursions and got our money back. The ship was in Code Red for almost the whole 14 day cruise.Then when we were about to book another cruise 6 months later we received booking credit, because of our discomfort on the Ryndam cruise. The credit was most probably an inducement to take another cruise. After our Ryndam experience my husband was worried about booking again.

Shore excursions are the only reimbursement you will get if you have NORO.

Compensation? what about the compensation for all of the passengers then? I've been on a ship with NORO twice and it's not fun. No pools, no library, no spa, the list goes on. Everyone suffers on a ship with this and the only compensation anyone receives is at some time (usually when you clear it) the captain gives you a glass of 'champagne'.

Noro is a risk we all take when we go to any place with close quarters. a cruise ship, an all inclusive resort, an expensive retirement home, whatever.

It's not fun but I certainly don't expect compensation nor have I ever asked for it. I just hope to avoid it in the future;)

If you have trip insurance, and you are quarantined due to illness, you can submit a claim for a per diem reimbursement for each day you are quarantined. We've had friends that did this.

Celebrity does that (per diem) and all treatment for noro/gi bugs at the Medical Centre is free. And if you are quarantined - they monitor you. Also in the T&C's I think it states that they can put you off the ship if you don't report to the medical centre if you have symtoms.

23 posts and 14 or 15 of them have already told the OP he is not getting anything. :rolleyes: Maybe time to move on or suggest to the OP that he should be asking someone at HAL instead of someone on CC whether a credit is owed or not? He is definitely NOT getting a refund from any of us!