Viking Rhinda April 27 Paris to Normandy - Transport to Le Peq

Alicatred

We will be doing our first river cruise in April on the Viking Rinda, I am very upset to find out that we do not actually dock in Paris as we were told. We booked 3 days in Paris pre cruise on our own as we were able to save a substantial amount of money. Now I have to find transport to Le Peq. I asked Viking if we could use their transport and pay for our spots. No. I asked for recommendations and they had none. I would appreciate any ideas that folks have.

I am also concerned that my interaction with Viking has not had the best customer service which makes me worry about the actual cruise and based on the reviews we should be concerned.

We normally cruise Royal Caribbean and Celebrity.

Any help or thoughts would be appreciated

Alicatred, welcome to CC. Sorry to read of your disappointment but I wish you'd discovered CC before booking. A number of cruisers have brought this up in the past year, and are equally disappointed to find out that they dock out of town instead of in Paris on this itinerary.

Here are a few threads discussing this issue:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2215113&highlight=rinda

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2246849&highlight=rinda

There are a number of others... Viking has apparently been saying (for some time) that this is "temporary" and that they'll "eventually" be docking in Paris. See this thread for a more recent discussion:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2256535&highlight=rinda

A lot of your decision will depend on how comfortable you are negotiating public transport, doing things on your own, or whether you want to be picked up and dropped off at the boat without having to worry. Since you set up the pre-trip stay in Paris independently, you might be comfortable doing the transfer somewhat independently too.

If you are independent, Le Pecq is near the terminus of one branch of the RER A-line. In another thread, someone asked about trying this but I don't remember if they every came back and reported whether they'd done this successfully. It looks like a bit of a hike from the station to the pier; depending on how much luggage you're carrying that may be something you don't want to do.

That thread is here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2232497&highlight=rinda

Other options - it may be easiest to have your hotel call a cab. Talk to your concierge when you arrive and see what they suggest.

Or have your hotel call the CD on the morning of embarkation (the number for the ship and the CD should be in your documents) to ask for their advice on how to get there. With the money you're saving doing Paris on your own, even if the cab is 50+ euros, you'll still come out ahead.

Or take the RER, then take a shorter cab ride from the station to the pier. That would likely be cheaper than taking a cab all the way from Paris.

Many options for you. Not to worry. Have a great trip!

Edited by jpalbny

Dear Alicatred,

We regret to hear of your displeasure in the Le Pecq docking location and disappointment in your interaction with Viking’s Customer Service.

While the details are still in flux, we are working to arrange transportation for our guests from central Paris to Viking Rinda on embarkation day. You will receive written communication once the details are confirmed.

Should you have questions prior to the receipt of that notice or wish to discuss your disappointing experience with our service team, please contact us at TellUs@vikingcruises.com.

We are looking forward to welcoming you aboard next spring!

Kind regards,

Viking Cruises

We will be doing our first river cruise in April on the Viking Rinda, I am very upset to find out that we do not actually dock in Paris as we were told. We booked 3 days in Paris pre cruise on our own as we were able to save a substantial amount of money. Now I have to find transport to Le Peq. I asked Viking if we could use their transport and pay for our spots. No. I asked for recommendations and they had none. I would appreciate any ideas that folks have.

I am also concerned that my interaction with Viking has not had the best customer service which makes me worry about the actual cruise and based on the reviews we should be concerned.

We normally cruise Royal Caribbean and Celebrity.

Any help or thoughts would be appreciated

• 4 months later...

So I had some hope that are transport from Paris to Le Pecq would be covered by Viking based on the following from this thread " While the details are still in flux, we are working to arrange transportation for our guests from central Paris to Viking Rinda on embarkation day. You will receive written communication once the details are confirmed." I called about 6 weeks ago for confirmation and was told that they would call me on 3-21 or 3-22. No call! I called this morning and was told that they will not transport us from Paris to Le Pecq, even though we offered to get to the Paris Pullman where a bus will transport Viking folks to Le Pecq, nor will they reimburse or credit us for the cost of our transportation to the new port. We booked a cruise from Paris...not Le Pecq bad enough we will have to spend hours on a bus to and from port to Paris, that I will not be seeing Paris from my shipp but they expect me to pay to get me to a port 45 minutes away from Paris. This is the worst customer service I have ever seen. We cruise often, usually on Celebrity and I am frankly shocked and outraged about by this. Does anyone have any ideas of recourse? Twitter and Facebook here I come.

Dear Alicatred,

We are sorry for your disappointment and appreciate the opportunity to respond to your comments.

Our records indicate the aforementioned follow-up phone call was to take place on March 24, 2016. We sincerely apologize for any misunderstanding but assure you your concerns were not forgotten. We recognize you were contacted this afternoon to discuss your transfer concerns in greater detail and review options to resolve. While you are encouraged to continue to work with your contact, you are always welcome to contact us directly at TellUs@vikingcruises.com.

Alicatred, your disappointment in Le Pecq is understandable; however, we assure you that the crew will do their utmost to maximize your time in Paris and provide you with a comfortable stay. Despite being docked outside of the city center, we are confident you will enjoy your overall experience.

Thank you again for allowing us to reply. We look forward to reaching a resolution and welcoming you aboard in April!

Warm regards,

Viking Cruises

So I had some hope that are transport from Paris to Le Pecq would be covered by Viking based on the following from this thread " While the details are still in flux, we are working to arrange transportation for our guests from central Paris to Viking Rinda on embarkation day. You will receive written communication once the details are confirmed." I called about 6 weeks ago for confirmation and was told that they would call me on 3-21 or 3-22. No call! I called this morning and was told that they will not transport us from Paris to Le Pecq, even though we offered to get to the Paris Pullman where a bus will transport Viking folks to Le Pecq, nor will they reimburse or credit us for the cost of our transportation to the new port. We booked a cruise from Paris...not Le Pecq bad enough we will have to spend hours on a bus to and from port to Paris, that I will not be seeing Paris from my shipp but they expect me to pay to get me to a port 45 minutes away from Paris. This is the worst customer service I have ever seen. We cruise often, usually on Celebrity and I am frankly shocked and outraged about by this. Does anyone have any ideas of recourse? Twitter and Facebook here I come.

Dear Alicatred,

We are sorry for your disappointment and appreciate the opportunity to respond to your comments.

Our records indicate the aforementioned follow-up phone call was to take place on March 24, 2016. We sincerely apologize for any misunderstanding but assure you your concerns were not forgotten. We recognize you were contacted this afternoon to discuss your transfer concerns in greater detail and review options to resolve. While you are encouraged to continue to work with your contact, you are always welcome to contact us directly at TellUs@vikingcruises.com.

Alicatred, your disappointment in Le Pecq is understandable; however, we assure you that the crew will do their utmost to maximize your time in Paris and provide you with a comfortable stay. Despite being docked outside of the city center, we are confident you will enjoy your overall experience.

Thank you again for allowing us to reply. We look forward to reaching a resolution and welcoming you aboard in April!

Warm regards,

Viking Cruises

What a bunch of "gobbledygook" does anyone have a clue what they are saying other than NOT committing to answering a single simple question???

Did I miss something?!

What a bunch of "gobbledygook" does anyone have a clue what they are saying other than NOT committing to answering a single simple question???

Did I miss something?!

I don't think you missed.;)

If one has accolades and good things to say about a business, they, Viking, would like it said in public.

However, if there are transgressions or failures, they would rather you contact them directly, in private, and maybe reach a resolution..

A good business knows that many people, handed a carp, will not complain.

They just (silently move on) don't return.

You may be correct, $hip$hape, especially as it applies to Viking's corporate attitude/positions taken. However, at least from my experiences thus far, the people at Viking with whom I directly dealt did try to oblige, even (in one instance) when what I requested was counter to Viking's policy. True I did have to request more than once, and the person who succeeded in getting the accommodation I had requested did not get back to me with that information. I had to follow up to learn of it, which most likely is due to inadequate staffing?

What I notice with these Viking situations is that unless the consumer makes a big stink on Cruise Critic nothing gets rectified.

At best that only accounts for those that pot o CC. It ignores the many more Viking cruisers that don't post on CC. Surely some of the thousands in the latter group has problems that get rectiied.

Thank you to all who have replied and to Cruise Critic for allowing this forum.

I am pleased to state that this has now been taken care of and I would like to thank Viking. We are appreciative that this has been addressed to our satisfaction.

Glad you got it fixed! And I'm sure you will have a great trip :)

Here's some updates for our May, 2016 cruise on the Rinda:

As of today, below is information regarding Shuttle Service from La Pecq (our docking location) to Paris (Grand Palais):

May 18 (Day 1 - arrival)

Departures from La Pecq to Paris: 11:30 am 2:00 pm (Additional in-between times by request)

Departures from Paris to La Pecq: 5:00 pm 9:00 pm

May 19 (Day 2 - first full day)

Departures from La Pecq to Paris: 10:00 am

Departures from Paris to La Pecq: 5:00 pm

Remember, there is a Paris City Tour included this morning departing early 8:30-9 am; 4 hours in duration,

back in time for lunch aboard the Viking Rinda (if you choose to return to the ship)

Ship sets sail at 6:30 pm tonight.

May 24 (Day 7 - last day in Paris)

Dock in Paris approximately 7:00 am

Departures from La Pecq to Paris: 9:30 am 2:00 pm

Departures from Paris to La Pecq: 6:00 pm

If you opt to stay longer in Paris, you must provide your own transport back to La Pecq

There is an included morning tour to Napoleon’s Chateau de Malmaison – 3 hours in duration.

Optional : Afternoon tour to The Palace of Versailles and/or optional Paris by Night.

My concern is, on Day 7, the Versailles excursion (for $149 PP) was slated for morning/afternoon and now it looks like only afternoon.

Which is it? WE were looking forward to being at Versailles for a full day, and it's still listed on My Viking Journey @ $149.

As of this time, no answer from VRC.

Edited by $hip$hape

• 2 months later...
Here's some updates for our May, 2016 cruise on the Rinda:

As of today, below is information regarding Shuttle Service from La Pecq (our docking location) to Paris (Grand Palais):

May 18 (Day 1 - arrival)

Departures from La Pecq to Paris: 11:30 am 2:00 pm (Additional in-between times by request)

Departures from Paris to La Pecq: 5:00 pm 9:00 pm

May 19 (Day 2 - first full day)

Departures from La Pecq to Paris: 10:00 am

Departures from Paris to La Pecq: 5:00 pm

Remember, there is a Paris City Tour included this morning departing early 8:30-9 am; 4 hours in duration,

back in time for lunch aboard the Viking Rinda (if you choose to return to the ship)

Ship sets sail at 6:30 pm tonight.

May 24 (Day 7 - last day in Paris)

Dock in Paris approximately 7:00 am

Departures from La Pecq to Paris: 9:30 am 2:00 pm

Departures from Paris to La Pecq: 6:00 pm

If you opt to stay longer in Paris, you must provide your own transport back to La Pecq

There is an included morning tour to Napoleon’s Chateau de Malmaison – 3 hours in duration.

Optional : Afternoon tour to The Palace of Versailles and/or optional Paris by Night.

My concern is, on Day 7, the Versailles excursion (for $149 PP) was slated for morning/afternoon and now it looks like only afternoon.

Which is it? WE were looking forward to being at Versailles for a full day, and it's still listed on My Viking Journey @ $149.

As of this time, no answer from VRC.

Thank you for this information. My husband and I just booked the Paris to Normandy cruise in September, but I've chosen to arrive three days earlier in London. I was worried about taking my own transportation into Paris, spending the day in the city of lights but not lugging all our suitcases. Has anyone had experience sending their luggage back on the shuttle to the ship in la Pecq?

My husband and I just booked the Paris to Normandy cruise in September,

but I've chosen to arrive three days earlier in London.

I was worried about taking my own transportation into Paris, spending the day in the city of lights but not lugging all our suitcases.

Has anyone had experience sending their luggage back on the shuttle to the ship in la Pecq?

This special case looks like a good question for contacting the ship.

Here is the Rinda's

MS Viking Rinda

Le Pecq, Quai du 8 Mai 1945

Place de la Resistance Francaise

Phone ship: +49 15222538043

I'm confused/curious; are you talking about a shuttle from London to Paris?

In our case, from our flight from the USA to Paris, we were met at the Airport(CDG) by Viking representatives.

There were two shuttles from the Airport to Le Pecq at that time(depending on the number of flights/pax?). Viking made a point of making sure we were on the same shuttle as our luggage.

On that first day, we were tired, and did not go into Paris; just did the local tour.

We are spending three days in London, using Viking's "Air Plus" deal. So it's up to us to take the Eurostar thru the Chunnel. I've got no problem with doing that but wondered if anyone has utilized the VRC shuttles that run back and forth to La Pecq for transporting their bags to their long boat, as we may want to walk around Paris unencumbered, the day we arrive.