Buying Vanilla in Mexico

!David!

Yes, be very careful. Many bottles of vanilla sold in Mexico contain Coumarin (banned in many countries) which tastes a lot like vanilla, is cheap, and can be toxic. So your dilemma is trying to find the real thing...and you cannot always tell by the label. You might want to research (online) your ports (perhaps on Tripadvisors forums) and see what local expats recommend. Although we have lived in Puerto Vallarta for 10 winters we have never bought any Mexican Vanilla (DW prefers Bourbon or Tahitian Vanilla) so we cannot make a good recommendation. We do no that some in PV prefer to buy at a place like Walmart (within walking distance of the cruise port) since they trust the store to only carry the real thing.

Hank

Alternatively, you can do what I do and make your own vanilla. I buy vanilla beans online, and then place them into a bottle of alcohol (my choice is vodka but rum works too). Shake well, and in approximately 6 months you have beautiful delicious vanilla that you made yourself for a fraction of the price. :) Strain it into a smaller container (using a coffee filter and wire sieve) and use in your recipes. The bigger bottle continues to "steep" and gets even better.

Alternatively, you can do what I do and make your own vanilla. I buy vanilla beans online, and then place them into a bottle of alcohol (my choice is vodka but rum works too). Shake well, and in approximately 6 months you have beautiful delicious vanilla that you made yourself for a fraction of the price. :) Strain it into a smaller container (using a coffee filter and wire sieve) and use in your recipes. The bigger bottle continues to "steep" and gets even better.

Thanks How many beans???

:cool::cool:

Thanks How many beans???

Well, I buy them in bulk online and use 10 - 15 beans per small bottle of vodka, maybe 20 or so for a large bottle of vodka or rum. The more you use, the less time it should take to turn it into vanilla because the concentration of vanilla will be stronger.

• 3 weeks later...
Another vote for Los Cinco Soles. You can get a liter bottle of vanilla for about what you'd pay for a tiny bottle back home, and it's the real deal.

Another vote for Los Cinco Soles! You'll get the "real" thing there at a great price. :D

A landslide for Los Cinco Soles; pure, well-flavored, safe (no coumarin--it states so on the label), and very affordable. Buy a couple to share when you get back home; great for holiday baking season.

A landslide for Los Cinco Soles; pure, well-flavored, safe (no coumarin--it states so on the label), and very affordable. Buy a couple to share when you get back home; great for holiday baking season.

In the good ole USA, food purity laws are so strict that a bottle labeled "100% Pure Honey" need not legally contain any honey at all. In fact, many bottles of "100% pure honey" in the USA are mostly corn syrup. A bottle labeled "California Wine" legally needs to contain 75% California Wine. The remaining 25% can be ANY other liquid - from anywhere in the world.

Is there any reason why you would actually believe something typed on a Mexican food label? Can you imagine that Mexican food purity regulations are any better than those in the USA?

If you do a bit of research, you might discover many claims that Cinco Soles vanilla extract is made from Castor Beans (not vanilla beans)- just like most of the others.

In the good ole USA, food purity laws are so strict that a bottle labeled "100% Pure Honey" need not legally contain any honey at all. In fact, many bottles of "100% pure honey" in the USA are mostly corn syrup. A bottle labeled "California Wine" legally needs to contain 75% California Wine. The remaining 25% can be ANY other liquid - from anywhere in the world.

Is there any reason why you would actually believe something typed on a Mexican food label? Can you imagine that Mexican food purity regulations are any better than those in the USA?

If you do a bit of research, you might discover many claims that Cinco Soles vanilla extract is made from Castor Beans (not vanilla beans)- just like most of the others.

Yes, the food labeling laws in the US are a joke and a constant irritant to those of us who REALLY care about what is in our food. That said, the contents of Los Cinco Soles vanilla may or may not be actual vanilla, but it has a very, very good flavor.

As for honey, I get mine from a fellow down the road that keeps his own bees. It comes straight off the comb into a mason jar and then into my hand. Local, raw honey is the absolute best!

When we lived in San Luis Potosi, Mexico I got to know the family of the owner of La Vencedora vanilla factory. Theirs does not contain cumarin. When we moved back 10 years ago I brought lots of bottles with me and they're still good. I've never found it in any Mexican cruise ports but have seen it in some Mexican grocery stores in Texas. It's the only brand I trust.

• 4 weeks later...