Hotels in Mobile

Pattyjo9951

We are looking for a hotel to stay in the night before our cruise. We will be driving and will drive to the port also so we don't need a parking package. My parents are older and my mom does not get around that well so we don't want to deal with the shuttles back and forth. Just looking for a clean, cheap hotel for one night. We will not be getting into Mobile until late that night. Thanks! I have never been to mobile so I have no idea what areas are good to stay in.

• 2 weeks later...
We are going on the Fantasy 3/27. Where is the best/worst place to stay the night before. I thought we had it figured out until some bad reports came out for the hotel we were going to book.

We are booked at the Renaissance Mobile Riverview Plaza. I hope that is not the one you are getting the bad reports about. :D

There are a string of chain hotels between Dauphin Street exit and Airport Blvd, and between Airport Blvd and Govt. Street exit, all parallel to I-65 South on "the beltline." Also a lot new motels/hotels have sprung up at the Theodore/Tillman's Corner exit, on I-10. All are within a 10-12 minute drive to the port.

The Saraland exit will be app. 25-30 minutes away (north).... I would suggest looking at the hotels/motels between Dauphin Sreet exit and Airport Blvd exit, and between Airport Blvd exit and Govt. Street exit, all parallel to I-65 South ---- between 10-12 minutes from port. For dining, I would suggest Ed's Seafood, on the Causeway, right on Mobile Bay, or Wintzell's, two locations. A good sports bar is Baumhower's Wings, he played at Alabama for Bear Bryant, also for Don Shula's 17-0 Dolphin's, nice atmosphere. Have a great trip!

Kap Jack, no that was not one of the hotels so you are good. We looked at that one also but my mother refuses to quit smoking and that is a totally smoke free hotel so that wouldn't work for her. We booked rooms at the Hampton-Downtown District today it is 2 1/2 blocks from the port and rated #4 of 63 on tripadvisor. Your hotel is rated #1 I believe.

Kap Jack, no that was not one of the hotels so you are good. We looked at that one also but my mother refuses to quit smoking and that is a totally smoke free hotel so that wouldn't work for her. We booked rooms at the Hampton-Downtown District today it is 2 1/2 blocks from the port and rated #4 of 63 on tripadvisor. Your hotel is rated #1 I believe.

The Hampton-Downtown is a new hotel that you should be very happy with. If you are driving I would recommend dinner at one of the seafood restaurants on the Battleship Causeway a short drive from your hotel.

One question about parking at a hotel and getting shuttled over to the pier...... Where do you get dropped off at? I have only cruised once before and we parked at the pier so when we drove in the porters took our bags and we parked and walked right to the elevator. So if the hotel brings you where do you give your bags to the porters at, do they drop you off at the curb or take you right to the porters?

sounds great!!!!

I have narrowed it down to three hotels

Hampton Inn on Royal street

Radisson Admiral on Government steet

Homewood Suites on Providence

out of those three, anyone have any thoughts. Not looking for anything fancy just clean, pool would be nice but it would have to be inside(April) and being shuttled over and getting picked up (free) I seen some they just call you a taxi.

Being close to food would be great also, any help is appreciated!!!

sounds great!!!!

I have narrowed it down to three hotels

Hampton Inn on Royal street

Radisson Admiral on Government steet

Homewood Suites on Providence

out of those three, anyone have any thoughts. Not looking for anything fancy just clean, pool would be nice but it would have to be inside(April) and being shuttled over and getting picked up (free) I seen some they just call you a taxi.

Being close to food would be great also, any help is appreciated!!!

Any of these hotels will be fine. Hampton Inn and Radisson are both very near the cruise terminal. Homewood is about 6 to 8 miles from the terminal, but I do not know if they will shuttle you to the terminal. There is a TGI Friday's next door to the Homewood.

I just called the Hampton and they are not offering a cruise and park package the day we are needing it. Bummer..... I did also call the Ashbury Hotel(mentioned earlier post) they have a king bed and hot breakfast, pool, parking but it will cost you 25 each way to the port, still pretty cheap if its a good hotel? Anyone satyed there recently?

• 2 weeks later...

We stayed at the Renaissance. They had an awesome stay and sail program with parking for the week. I believe it was something like $129 total for the room for one night, parking the whole week and a shuttle to and from the port. When we drove by and saw the cluster you-know-what of people trying to park at the port (it was backed up for quite a way) it made the $129 rate all worth it!!!

Here is the view of the Fantasy the morning we woke to sail:

http://picasaweb.google.com/vanessa.1963/CarnivalFantasyWithMobileALPartIII#5412322598117662338

I stayed at the La Quinta Inn down from the airport for $49. Clean room, nice place, everything I needed. They even let me park there for free during the cruise. It is several miles from the port, but I had someone else from the cruise pick me up at the hotel and bring me back after, so that made it a great deal for me. A cab ride may be steep.

We stayed at the Hampton Inn and got the park and cruise package. We loved the Hampton. When we arrived they had upgraded us to a suite. It was very nice. We could watch our ship come in from our room.

Archived