calling cards

abby32

Be very cautious when getting these. Most all cards you buy locally are for calling FROM the US, not TO the US.

If you call the # on the back of the card or go to their web site you can see what countries honor the card. Also, there is a series of numbers you need to use that is different in each country. On the card I have (I think AT&T), Cancun and Cayman yes, but Jamaica no.

I am going on my first cruise, I was also wondering about the availablity of pay phones in the Western Caribbean. :confused:

It's really best to buy the card where you want to use it....they are available in almost every port...there is a store of some sort very close by that will sell them. You can use them at the payphones in the port area (or any other pay phone location). You cannot use them on the ship.

I can't help with your calling cards as we hear of them infrequently these days.

There used to be lots of pay phones in most of the Caribbean ports and crew would rush to use them. Now we see far less phones and hardly any crew using them. They have all the electronic toys the rest of us have.

I call from San Juan and St. Thomas at no extra or roaming charges on my regular AT & T plan. It's just the usual minutes from those locations.

I can't help with your calling cards as we hear of them infrequently these days.

There used to be lots of pay phones in most of the Caribbean ports and crew would rush to use them. Now we see far less phones and hardly any crew using them. They have all the electronic toys the rest of us have.

I call from San Juan and St. Thomas at no extra or roaming charges on my regular AT & T plan. It's just the usual minutes from those locations.

Check with your cell phone carrier about this -- when I traveled to San Juan and St Thomas earlier this year text messages were free, but phone calls were not on Verizon.

Archived